• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Testing out an 860k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

Just got my 860k from ebay today. I got it in order to compare it to my G5238.

Boy, I didn't realize how much larger this CPU is than the Intel's are! Are the AMD APUs larger than the FX series? Maybe I just forgot how large they were as it has been awhile now since fooling with AMD CPUs.

So I'm stress testing this 860k at stock frequencies and voltages right now. My understanding is that HWMonitor does not give accurate package temps on the APUs so I'm using AMDOverdrive to stress and monitor temps. I'm cooling it with a Noctua D14. Overdrive says I have a thermal margin on the package temp of over 50c during the stress test which seems rather large, even though I'm at stock frequencies and voltages. Makes me wonder what the TJ Max is on this thing. Everybody says you want to keep the package temp below for the FX CPUs but are the APUs that much different? These seem more like Intel TJ maxes.

As far as I can tell the TJMax in AOD for the FX would relate to 70°c on the CPU. I don't think it even gives a socket temp. So they go higher than we recommended for daily use to start with.
If it's anything like the 7850 of bassnuts that I played with for a week or two the temp climbs pretty quickly. I would think you would have a bit more headroom just because the IGP is disabled.

Got this 860k to 4.4 ghz stable on a mATX MSI board but it took 1.55 vcore to do it. Mosfets were pretty warm but not blazing hot. This thing is a little better in rendering tasks like Cinebench than my G3258 but not by a great deal. Quicker memory timings seem to make more of a difference with it than with the G3258. Must be because the 860k has no L3 cache and relies more on system RAM to keep the pipeline full.

Luckily it has the two extra cores vs the G32 to help out a bit. That was the same that I saw, seemed to go good till the mid 4 range and then zoom up with the VCore. Same as their brothers the FX cooling plays a big part in the OC Trents but these do top out a lot sooner if cooling is par. Since it wasn't my chip I topped the 7850K at 5.1 validation with roughly the same voltage as you are using. I really didn't do a lot with it and certainly no stability testing.

What is the stock CPU/NB ratio for the 860k? There is a setting for that in bios and it's on auto right now. Was wondering where to start for a manual adjustment if wanting to tweak for OC stability or even improved memory performance.

The discouraging thing is that even at 4.4 ghz the 860k doesn't even render as fast as my unlocked Phenom II overclocked to only 3.75. The Phenom II has 4 real, not 4 psuedo cores.

The discouraging thing is that even at 4.4 ghz the 860k doesn't even render as fast as my unlocked Phenom II overclocked to only 3.75. The Phenom II has 4 real, not 4 psuedo cores.

That has been our lament for going toward 4 years now with 2 cores inside a module that AMD has fed us now for too long.

RGone...

Back