• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Testing out Gentoo!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm posting this from my other PC, sorry. Because I don't even have X.Org installed.

I'm now at => emerge xorg-server

i realize that, but i am just saying that you need to make sure that if you are going to mention an error that you don't leave out the important part. the more information we have, the easier it is to help you. sometimes you may have to just type out most of an error message.

if you have openssh installed, you can always connect via ssh (putty, etc) and copy the errors out that way. if i remember correctly, there is a log in /var/log/ for emerge which should have the error. i believe it would be 'emerge.log'. you could use a scp application such as winscp (assuming you are using windows on your other pc) to retrieve the emerge.log file.

Still compiling KDE! (Is this normal, even when it looks like it can be?)

(I just hope my processor isn't throttling, even when it's cool=> I'm gonna make another thread about Core 2 quirks)

That's because you're using kde-meta, which installs EVERYTHING. Hence my hatred of meta packages. That's like downloading Steam, installing it, and when a low disk space warning pops up a month later, seeing that it automatically downloaded and installed every single game they offer, regardless of whether you have paid for and unlocked the game, so you have hundreds of GBs of games installed that you'll never play.

You would have really enjoyed the good old days when people compiled Gentoo from stage 1 tarballs :D

With a somewhat slow processor, it took weeks 24/7 to the finished desktop LOL.

You would have really enjoyed the good old days when people compiled Gentoo from stage 1 tarballs :D

oh god i couldnt imagine that.... i remember it taking the better part of a day to do a stage 3 tarball on a 466mhz celeron!!!!

Why can't it find KDE? Then when I emerged xdm, I get a different login screen.

I have a feeling if I could login that it won't go to KDE!

I'm SOO reformatting! I screwed up!
Make sure the relavent part of /etc/conf.d/xdm looks like so, namely DISPLAYMANAGER should be kdm. This should startup kde by default. I personally prefer to use the xdm/kdm/gdm that is appropriate for the desktop in use.
# What display manager do you use ? [ xdm | gdm | kdm | kdm-4.3 | gpe | entran$
# NOTE: If this is set in /etc/rc.conf, that setting will override this one.
#
# KDE-specific note:
# - If you are using kdeprefix go with "kdm-4.Y", e.g. "kdm-4.3".
# You can find possible versions by looking at the directories in /usr/kde/.
# - Else, if you are using KDE 3 enter "kdm-3.5"
# - Else, if you are using KDE 4 enter "kdm" without a version
DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm"

just out of curiosity, which profile did you go with? if you went with the desktop profile, it will include USE flags that are more useful with a desktop. that can be found in this section of the handbook:

it has been a while since i have set up X on gentoo but it might actually have the specific video card flag for that. you might post your 'emerge --info'. if you used genkernel to compile the kernel, then you probably have the kernel modules for your video card already set up. i am not sure if it is still true, but the default gentoo kernel used to not include sound support. that may have changed though as it has been a while since i have used it as a primary OS.

if compiling seems slow, you might also want to make sure you have 'MAKEOPTS' set in your make.conf to 'MAKEOPTS="-j3"'. like you said, the documentation is pretty straight forward but it can be easy to skip over some steps if you aren't totally sure what they mean.

keep in mind that -j3 is ONLY if you have a dual core. The number is (cores+1), so that being said, with a quad core it'd be -j5 or -j9 depending on hyper threading. Also, another thing worth noting is limiting this number may speed up userland when building packages. So if you set it to -j5 on a hyper threaded quad core, you should have more usable userland while compiling.

The X Server Configuration HOWTO
Gentoo KDE Guide

Personally, I detest meta packages, so instead of kde-meta or kdebase-meta I use "kdebase-startkde kdm kdesktop dolphin"

I tend to build my own removing packages I don't like. Meta packages are easy to make.

The base install was successful. After reading probably the most straightfoward documentation I saw in a long time!

But, now, how should I go with installing XOrg and the Intel driver support for my other rig. It uses i915.

I get confusing options of how to get the proper drivers and modules!

But, compiling the kernel was a piece of cake! Zero problems with the kernel.

And emerging KDE is taking a lllloooongggg time! Feels like I'm on a 486 SX 25 Mhz!

But, I may have the wrong options, so X could be still kicking me.

KDE is C++, and C++ believe it or not is very hard to compile. A C program comparatively compiles much faster.

Here's something I want to point out, this will make your life easier:

Add the following to /etc/make.conf
VIDEO_CARDS="intel"
If there already is a VIDEO_CARDS= field, replace it with the above. This will activate any intel relavent use flags and make sure everything is built to suit an intel based system.

My first Gentoo install was from Stage 1 on an Athlon XP 2700+, and it only took me 2 days (with many hours where the machine had finished a step and I was doing something else while I waited, and didn't come back to type the next command until hours after it had finished).

My first Gentoo install was from Stage 1 on an Athlon XP 2700+, and it only took me 2 days (with many hours where the machine had finished a step and I was doing something else while I waited, and didn't come back to type the next command until hours after it had finished).

Same here. Maybe 36 hours total.

Just installed Firefox last night, all I had to do was
Code:
emerge firefox

Firefox seems to be fine. Unfortunately, with Konqueror, the link layout is messed up at Overclockers.com. :(

With Konqueror, option links would be layered on top of an ad!

Just installed Firefox last night, all I had to do was
Code:
emerge firefox
Firefox seems to be fine. Unfortunately, with Konqueror, the link layout is messed up at Overclockers.com. :(

With Konqueror, option links would be layered on top of an ad!

Yeah, I tend to stick with the more "common" browsers, even on linux. Firefox always worked best for me. Especially when it came to already scant plugin support.

Aaaah... I remember doing this. I was lucky though, I had a dual AthlonXP machine :).

That's because you're using kde-meta, which installs EVERYTHING. Hence my hatred of meta packages. That's like downloading Steam, installing it, and when a low disk space warning pops up a month later, seeing that it automatically downloaded and installed every single game they offer, regardless of whether you have paid for and unlocked the game, so you have hundreds of GBs of games installed that you'll never play.

I have to admit to using meta-packages out of laziness. I tend to always get a bigger HDD than I need (I also tend to over-spec on RAM as well, as a habit) so the space isn't an issue, but sometimes I do think I could make my Gentoo install a bit leaner.

Back