• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TH7-II/Northwood Issues (Need Help)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Here you go Stevereno.

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=67757

I don't know why anyone would buy the 1.6a anyway except that it's maybe a little cheaper than any of the other Northwoods. If anyone would of had read my recommendations from the time I first heard about the 1.6 and 1.8 gig Northwoods being released, I've been advising buying the 1.8 not the 1.6 (I bought my 2 gig before the 1.8 came out). Most non-2.2 gig Northwoods will usual reach between 2.4 to 2.6 on average when overclocked, so a 1.8 gig using 133 FSB puts you right at an almost guaranteed 2.4 gig with 2.5 and 2.6 within easy reach. If you're using TH7-II and RDRAM, then the 1.6 will run you into trouble with the RAM not wanting to to be stable at very high FSB and you won't reach the full potential of the CPU. Of course, then if you consider that some of the 1.6's don't like the older BIOS on the TH7-II, it really sort of becomes a no brainer. Oh well, I'm just an old fart senior member that don't know nothing, even though I've been overclocking for 4 to 5 years and have owned PC computers for about 20 years. How I managed to get my Northwood and TH7-II combo up to 2.6 gig must be a great mystery or else just a lucky accident.

Last edited:
That is the really weird thing, it only seems to be the 1.6a Northwoods that are having problems with the TH7-II "37" BIOS. I have not heard of any other Northwood having the same trouble. Very strange indeed. Does not make any sense.

Knowledge is KING!

If I knew where I was going to fall tomorrow, I’d put a pillow there first…

I’m a old clocker too, back in the day where one had to buy MHZ crystals & insert on to MB to go from 33MHZ to 41 MHZ WOW!

Anyhow, I’m still glad I got the 1.6, it cost way less the 1.7 or the 1.8 & gets the FSB much higher “ Working all 8 cylinders” It's the 300A all ver again.

Ordered 1.6 (SL668- MADE IN MALAY) Abit TH7 II, 512 Samsung PC800, ENERMAX EG365P-VE(FCA) 350W . Magic Server Case.

We’ll see how it goes

Couldn’t find the over clocked 1.6’s at Outsideloop?

Here’s one from ATACOM.com
http://www.atacom.com/program/ataco...03_118_102&USER_ID=www&PAGE=OVEI_CPUO&ADV=CPU

Hey guys,

sorry for not replying in awhile, but I got my issue fixed by paying $10 when I went to the local shop and updated the BIO's by poping in a 1.7 (256K) in. I emailed Vicky sometime this past week and she, without any hesitation is sending me a new BIOS chip. It was either that or send me $10 for all my hassles. She mentioned how this was a problem which she has never experienced before at her time with the company and how deeply sorry she was.

All in all, great follow-up to my post there Markyoshi.

P.S: Read below and see what my results have been like since getting back online. QUITE awesome guys, quite awesome!

Back