• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

the BEST card for overclocking!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I would say get a 9500 .. but as other people also said there is a risk of artifacts if you make it a 9700. So you better keep that in mind while buying the card.

You also said: I will tell you that my hatred for ATI began back when ATI made those drivers that allowed you to play games in meshmode and people used them to wallhack in counterstrike.....

Wasn't that asus? ;)

R4z0r4mu5 Pr|m3 said:
Also, i thought the 9500np was supposed to be have 128bit memory by default, why have they built the pcbs allowing 256bit in some 9500np but always 128bit even in the L shaped 9500pro?

Why? Quite simply, if a 9500pro had been built on a 256-bit PCB, then ABSOLUTELY NOTHING would diffrentiate it from a 9700np. 8 pipelines, 256-bit bus.

But my damned memory peters out at 297. Even one more notch higher to the 303 level and it goes straight to hell after like two minutes. It's not heat-related either, because the little BGA memory modules are just luke warm to the touch. I think people have had success Vmodding the ram on these puppies to make them behave better, but honestly I don't care THAT much.
Isn't the RAM on most 9500nps 3.3ns? That's pretty weird... the 3.6ns RAM on my ti4200 can go past 300 easily.

Either Sapphire or BBA; maybe others too, but I haven't seen them. As for model name/numer, I don't think the L and non-L are any different.

Realize, though, that with many vendors you're not guaranteed an L-shaped PCB at all.

Damian said:
Realize, though, that with many vendors you're not guaranteed an L-shaped PCB at all.

And the L-shaped cards have been out of production for quite a while now, making them harder and harder to find. And many you do find, might possibly be an RMA'd card (depending on how shady the dealer is)

To answer the initial post, the 9600 Pro overclocks huge. Therefore being the best overclocking card.

What's all the rukus about?

1. the new 9600pros don't o/c as well as the preproduction ones.
2. even when overclocked to its limits, the 9600pro is still pretty bad.

The 9500np, on the other hand... being able to go from a $135 bottom-mid-end budget card to a $270 (previously above $300) very-high-end card is what I'd call a pretty nice modding/oc.

The 9600's overclock LESS than 9500's on average Mhz for Mhz.... and 9600's get much less performance than a 9500 out of each additional Mhz it is overclocked.

Damian said:
1. the new 9600pros don't o/c as well as the preproduction ones.
2. even when overclocked to its limits, the 9600pro is still pretty bad.

The 9500np, on the other hand... being able to go from a $135 bottom-mid-end budget card to a $270 (previously above $300) very-high-end card is what I'd call a pretty nice modding/oc.

The 9600 Still overclock very well. I agree, that an overclocked 9600 is still pretty crappy compare to the 9500 pro's.

People should drop the 9500 non-pro mod, because it's success rate before, when they were in production, was only about %30 and now are even less since most of those got RMA'd. I imagine now, %5-%10 percent of 9500non-pro's can be successfully modded, making it irrelevant to even suggest it.

q149 said:
The 9600's overclock LESS than 9500's on average Mhz for Mhz.... and 9600's get much less performance than a 9500 out of each additional Mhz it is overclocked.

I believe the question is: What card can increased the most in Mhz from when it was originally bought.

What ever the answer to that is, regardless of performance, is the correct answer.

Hurk said:

I believe the question is: What card can increased the most in Mhz from when it was originally bought.

What ever the answer to that is, regardless of performance, is the correct answer.

That's why i said Mhz by Mhz

Wow lots of contradicting posts in this thread.

So do the current 9500np's have better or worse chances in soft modding? Albequerque (sp?) said its better, Hurk says its worse.

Common sense would lead to it being worse. ATI "realizes" people are modding, and stops passing off 9700's with dif bioses as 9500np's. However, common sense isnt always the answer. Is there any proof that the latest cards are bad soft modders?

Most of newegg's (where most of us would buy the card) reviews say the latest woulds soft modded great.

As for a good card for the price. You can't go wrong with the 9500 Pro or spend a tad more and get the 9700non-pro. www.pccanada.com has it for $299.99CDN. Great price if you are Canadian.

i've been looking at forums and the newegg reviews, it seems like on the forums, people get more unsuccessful mods than successful ones, and by unsuccessful i mean it has artifacts although it may still be acceptable to those people - i don't find any artifacts acceptable, at the forums at hardocp and here at overclockers the odds don't look too good while people who get lucky flaunt it at newegg reviews and newegg likes to show reviews like that to encourage potential buyers, my theory

Yeah, thats what i think, too. Only the people who succesfully modded post the reviews. And the poll here at overclockers seems very hard to believe. Like you said, to one person a rare artifact can make it unacceptable, while to another person plenty of artifacts are acceptable.

the leap of faith

i just took "the leap of faith" i got my 9500np at allstarshop for the sole purpose of modding it, if it dosent work ill just ebay it and try again =/

Back