• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG The Evil Twin Command Center

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pr0l3

Hello OC - my first actual post here, and I'm proud to present a project that is a few years in the making. It's an ongoing project.

A few years ago, I hosted / backed up all my major stuff on a Thecus 4-bay NAS. I soon migrated to Windows Server 2003 so that I could host files and run applications at the same time. I work as a tech provider mostly for dental offices so I understand the need for a server, but one problem I always had was the 'extras' that come bundled with a server OS that I wouldn't really need...

I moved up to Windows 7 for my server OS - and I realize that it's not a true 'server' without a server OS, but I'll refer to it as such based on it's function.

SO!

I've built these machines mostly out of second hand parts to keep the costs down. I'm pretty proud of the outcome so far, with more plans for changes, stuff to learn and some true custom stuff.

I therefore present, version 1 of the 'Evil Twin Command Center'.

DSC_0423_zps2cd2e767.jpg

So let's break it down - part list and responsibilities:

FileServer

-Windows 7 Ultimate
-i5 2320 @ 3ghz
-8GB RAM - Kingston
-Asus P8H77M-Pro Mobo
-4 2TB WD Green @ RAID 5
-2 500GB WD Black @ RAID 1
-HAF 912

SecureServer

-Windows 7 Pro
-AMD Phenom 9950 Quad Core @ 2.61
-4GB RAM - Kingston
-MSI MS7390 Mobo
-2 1TB WD @ RAID 1
-2 500GB WD Black @ RAID 1
-Nvidia GTS 250
-HAF 912

---

Both servers house a BitFenix 120mm Spectre fans (red) and 3 CoolerMaster 80mm fans, one red, on the bottom. They're set up so that the air is pulled past the hard drives and exhausted out the back and top.

Both servers have the BitFenix recon fan/temp controller with remote control enabled. Both have monitoring software for RAID and temperature with email notification enabled.

DSC_0424-1_zps66df2073.jpg

The FileServer hosts Team Speak for my clan (with a toggle-able combat radio, I might add), Plex and Minecraft. It also keeps all of my media and personal files kept secure.

The SecureServer houses all sensitive data on a TrueCrypt volume. It runs FTP with lots of room to start looking at home automation software. Thinking about running VM's to set up a little local hack lab.

There's a toaster attached to the FileServer.

---

So the future of the evil twin project...

Here's what needs done:

-Cable management; needs completely redone.
-Quad monitor. 2 19" and 2 22". Both computers running dual display. On the 19" monitors (positioned on the outside) there will be constant resource and hardware monitoring. On the 22" monitors, the desktop, in between the two 19" monitors. Hopefully wall mounted.
-New keys and mouse on a KVM between the two.
-Improved infrastructure; as soon as we move to the new house - wall rack mounted switch. Pico for wifi.
-Need a UPS for surge protection.
-Eventually, all drives replaced with NAS-grade drives.

Does anyone know where I can get custom badges made to replace the ones on the front of the cases?

Last edited:
I would not be able to play on such a "surrounded" monitor but it looks great BTW.

Looks good :thup:

More details about the toaster?

Also for sensitive data, I would recommend another backup source. Either an external hard drive, or throw some old hardware together and run a stripped OS (ubuntu server, NAS software, etc) and have it's sole purpose just to backup weekly.

I should add that neither of these are for gaming - straight servers... my gaming rig is upstairs lol...

Toaster is a Thermaltake BlacX 5g.

Both rigs have a 600W Thermaltake PSU.

Anyone know where I could get some custom badges made to replace the ones on the cases?

I would replace Win7 with CentOS. But that's just because I'd rather SSH than RDC onto my servers. Also, RAID 1 is not a backup, remember that.

Yeah - I've played in Linux and quite like it as a desktop client. My laptop runs on Ubuntu.

And you're right, but it's better than nothing, right?

I should add that neither of these are for gaming - straight servers... my gaming rig is upstairs lol...

I was about to ask, "Uh, where does the mouse live? How can you game without a mouse?" lol

Nice setup. :thup:

Thx all.

So an open question - what kinda cool stuff could I run on the second Win 7 box?

Just a few off the top of my head:

Game servers
Folding client
BitCoin miner
GPG keyserver

I've run game servers before - unsure as to what any of those other options are. Looks like I have some research to do.

Just put a USB KVM between them.

Looked up that steps and information about setting up a miner - does anyone actually MAKE coin doing that?

Doesn't seem like it.

I'm just in the process of setting up a Backtrack VM, then a Win 7 VM to run a little hacklab box.

Back