• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Jelly Saga: Breaking Dawn

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I was rather curious about this myself - do you have to apply a lot of pressure to make sure you make proper contact? Has it ever caused any issues?

mounting pressure is sufficient. on sandybridge, the retention clip is enough.

Removing sandybridge should only be done when warm. cold vaseline can damage socket pins.

wouldn't it be better if you install first the memory and ram before putting the vaseline? just curious..

Sort of. Except anything socketed on a benching mobo is being swapped around constantly. It part of the reason we dont use cases. The ram and gpu are in a different board every other day. Before reseating stuff, I repack the socket each time.

earthdog had a good point too.

Just by hand. For sandybridge, I just apply on the back of the CPU before installing in the socket. For ram/gpu, I grease the pads area by hand, and pack the socket. For AMD, I ensure the socket is full each time before installing a CPU. It is harder to damage an AMD socket/chip... The pins on sandybridge are very brittle, and easily bent or torn out. When cold, they will be frozen onto the CPU pads.

i see, i know now why going sub zero is very hard..

It really isn't that hard. I've had an easier time doing this than I did making my first water loop. All it takes is the time to insulate (which isn't hard) -- I just use frost king and eraser (no vaseline for me except for in the RAM and GPU sockets [if I'm going cold on the GPU]

There are plenty of ways to insulate for subzero benching, I generally use eraser and paper towels.

Vaseline is the safest, but also the messiest.

good old winter months for benching.

Just remember in soviet russia, systems bench you!!!

Also in the Ukraine they dont have problems with zombies, TiN scares them all away. Apparently zombies dont like being soldered to video cards. Not sure why.

Ukraine has problems with zombies now, TiN's in taiwan at EVGA R&D HQ!
That's how american EVGA is :p

Hair dryer to get the bulk off, Dishwasher to get the rest off, Sometimes it helps to use a static safe brush and some soap or a mild detergent and a little scrubbing action(gentle of course) to really get it all off from the board. If you only use a hair dryer and a few runs through the dishwasher without something for it to bond to, you will still end up with a light layer of vasoline that will showup under a microscope (thats if it gets sent back for repair of course)

its really not that strange when you think about it from a manufacturing point of view, They put PCB through a steam bath, and deionized water bath to clean off traces of flux and other waste that gets left on the boards during the manufacturing process. The difference with a dishwasher is mostly the purity of the water.

What usually kills a cellphone when its put through the wash is that it has power going to it in some form as it goes through the wash, which results in shorts. That or the failure to disassemble it and fully dry it out before its used again so its still shorted out.

Then again my idea of crazy computer abuse these days probably sits on the level of putting an arc welder to it.

Come to think of it, I think I'll run mine through my machine shop guy's parts washer. That'll either melt the entire thing or clean it right the hell up.

What does it have for a chemical in it? some of those parts washers have harsh chemicals in them that the soldermask or board might not like.

Back