• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The keystrokes QWEASDZXC do not work

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jstutman

any help would be appreciated. it also affects esc,tab,ctrl and alt.

i think its OS related. windows 7

Tried in another OS? See if it works when booted into a Linux Live CD.

Seconded on the liveCD. Overclockix would be good for this:
http://www.overclockix.com/

Although unfortunately, I'd say its probably the hardware keyboard - often crumbs or liquids goo up the keys on laptops.

You can plug in a USB keyboard to see if that works, also would eliminate the OS as an issue, which I think is an unlikely culprit.

Finally, you may want to make sure your scroll lock or function keys aren't enabled on the laptop. Some laptops use various keys to serve dual functions, and if a certain button is enabled which people rarely use, it changes the functions of certain keys to something else. Since it appears to affect the entire farthest left side of your keyboard, this could be a culprit, though I'd consider it unlikely.

I booted knoppix live and its the keyboard. It sure does act like its lost its mind. It will start working again after random amounts of reboots. It usually starts happening when the notebook gets hot from being used. Thanks for the link

often there is a service manual available as well, which can help as replacing the kb can be an involved process on laptops.

I would dismantle first. Might be able to wash the keyboard and fix it, without replacing it... usually this happens with something spilled onto the keys.

often there is a service manual available as well, which can help as replacing the kb can be an involved process on laptops.

I would dismantle first. Might be able to wash the keyboard and fix it, without replacing it... usually this happens with something spilled onto the keys.

I removed it and and it clean. I am 99.9% positive that its not because it was dirty cause it starts to happen as the laptop heats up from being used.

I removed it and and it clean. I am 99.9% positive that its not because it was dirty cause it starts to happen as the laptop heats up from being used.

I've fixed that before with Coke spilled on the keyboard. It hardens when cold, but when heated up it gets gooey and makes the mechanics stick. Sounds like it isn't your problem, but I thought I'd put it out there in case.

oh yeah and I appreciated it. I was not saying anything about your suggestion. I took my keyboard out and checked so you can tell I thought it was plausible.

Back