• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The massive all-encompassing OCF iPhone thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Really, the white model doesn't show fingerprints?

The 'tap a web image to save it feature' is new for firmware 2.0.

I have noticed a couple bugs in the 2.0 firmware already.

One is with the keyboard and sms. Every once in a while I can type a whole message before the first 3 words come up. Normally going back to the home screen and back to the sms fixes it.

The other problem is with sounds not playing. Not sure why but randomly the lock, unlock and sms received sounds just dont play. Its just one that wont play at a time not all of them.

The other problem is with sounds not playing. Not sure why but randomly the lock, unlock and sms received sounds just dont play. Its just one that wont play at a time not all of them.

That's not just a bug with 2.0. I've had that bug with previous firmware versions. Whenever I get it, I've found that squeezing (clicking) the mic on the headset once or twice will fix it. Doing that toggles the external speakers on or off.

That's not just a bug with 2.0. I've had that bug with previous firmware versions. Whenever I get it, I've found that squeezing (clicking) the mic on the headset once or twice will fix it. Doing that toggles the external speakers on or off.

Odd, Never had the problem with the 1st gen. Thanks for the tip I'll give it a shot next time it acts up.

Freaking Apple. I have a car stereo cable that has an iPod connector. It worked with the 1st gen phone and even charged it. My 3G works with it but it won't charge! "This accessory is not compatible with the iPhone. Music will play, but it will not charge the device." BullCrap! Battery life is more important than ever, and the 25 minute commute to and from work helped out a lot. Grr.

Got a replacement iPhone 3g today. This morning I noticed the corner my screen was moving in and out of the case. I took it to apple and they said they would replace it in 2-4 days. A few hours later I got a call saying it was in already! Picked it up and am restoring it as I type this.

Yeah my cable in my car won't charge the Iphone either...really defeats the purpose of it being an Ipod if you can't use it because the battery sucks.

Got a replacement iPhone 3g today. This morning I noticed the corner my screen was moving in and out of the case. I took it to apple and they said they would replace it in 2-4 days. A few hours later I got a call saying it was in already! Picked it up and am restoring it as I type this.

Whoa! The screen could physically move inside the case? As if it wasn't bolted down?!

Whoa! The screen could physically move inside the case? As if it wasn't bolted down?!

Ya, not like coming out and you could stick something under it but you could notice it and it wasn't normal. also, this new one feels so much better. On my old one the white back would stick out past the silver trim on both sides so when you ran your finger around the phone it would catch there. This new one is smooth all the way around.

I figure the other one had some more problems that I just didn't know about yet so i'm glad I got it replaced now and not wait till warranty was up. No apple care for me.

i got my black 16g.. must say i very happy with it.. here in Spain you have 2 data plans a 15 Euro one and a 25 one.. the 15 is 200megs a month and once you go over the amount they slow your speeds down, the 25 is 1gig a month and then they slow you down.. the original speed is twice as fast as the 15E plan..

the gps works great and with the photo tools and such it's great for tourism.. on the actual thing not giving directions don't worry TomTom is going to bring out an app for the iphone

i would have to say that one of the weak points would be the camera.. unless they pull out a new app that you can zoom and all that... still good quality, but my 2 year old w900i took better pics.

Update:

Got my first gen iPhone udpated to 2.0 firmware. My wife kept trying throughout the afternoon and got through finally around 2:30 PST. Initial thoughts:

- Phone Saber (Light Saber app for iPhone) is hilarious.

i love phone saber.. just great

Still looking to get a few other apps:
- Midomi (Will id songs that your iPhone hears and give you song title/artist and provide a link to iTunes to buy it)

get Shazam it does the same thing and it's free

- Remote (Will allow you to control your iTunes library via bluetooth)

not sure the remote works via bluetooth... i think it's only wi-fi at least that's what i got on the creen when i used it.. works very well

If you look really hard you can see them. Its not NEARLY as bad as the black one tho.

it will get dirty much much faster.. just look at the original ipods they turned grey pretty fast..

Anyone use DataCase? Supposedly turns your iPhone into a wireless drive. Link

got to say it looks very nice.. i might give it a try..

other apps i've liked so far and that are free...

Smugshot (takes a pic and posts it on your personal page)
Twittervision (global message posting kind of like a shoutbox on forums)
checkplease ( great for when you go out with friends for food and drinks)
Snapmylife (same as Smugshot)
localpicks (uses gps to locate close by restaurants)
iPint (virtual beer)

it will get dirty much much faster.. just look at the original ipods they turned grey pretty fast..

I doubt the phone will get dirty. Sure the original ipods are dirty, they are 7 years old. The plastic has come a long way. My brother has a 3rd gen from 2003 and he takes it to work everyday as a welder and his is still white.

If it does get dirty, I'd rather clean it once a month than have scratches and fingerprints all the time.

It sucks about those data plans man. I used pandora a few times at work and ive already used 150mb in 5 days.

I doubt the phone will get dirty. Sure the original ipods are dirty, they are 7 years old. The plastic has come a long way. My brother has a 3rd gen from 2003 and he takes it to work everyday as a welder and his is still white.

If it does get dirty, I'd rather clean it once a month than have scratches and fingerprints all the time.

It sucks about those data plans man. I used pandora a few times at work and ive already used 150mb in 5 days.

guess it depends on how you treat things really.. my other phone which is 2 years old looks like it was just taken out of the box... it's also black and has not one scratch.. then you have my bro that basically has to switch phones like every few months because they fall apart...

on the rates.. those are actually great rates for here.. they used to be like 40-60+ euros plus then having to pay extra for excess bandwith... the fact that they don't charge you for excess now it's great.. they just slow you down... and i'm talking about 6 months ago crazy prices, crappy bandwith and extra charges for excess data..

another little "program" i like that it's not such is the skype for iphone... it's through safari but it works...

now all i need is a way to use the mail for hotmail and msn app so i don't have to go with using safari for both..

get Shazam it does the same thing and it's free

So was Midomi, but I do like Shazam much better. Seems to be quite a bit more responsive (and accurate at capturing music). It also has a better feature set once you do capture a song.

I'm really loving Super Monkey Ball, the degree of precision you have is awesome. I wonder how the sensor compares to a wiimote.

ya know, black headphones would have matched pretty well, and wouldn't look so.. used after a few months.

Last edited:
I rick-rolled myself. I had snapped a screenshot of my home screen and while browsing pics it 'appeared' that the photo browser bailed to the desktop! I couldn't tap anything! Hand met forehead.

Back