• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The new achillies S1284 VERSION 2 (yes its new)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
looks great, but the mounting :(

even though they have an optional bolt through kit, I think that every 3rd party cpu cooler should come with a bolt through kit standard, I've lost count how many scythe mugen's(infinity) came loose either during shipment or after a few months with the customer...

Unlike other towers, the Xigmatek's are very light. In the case of my 92mm version it is a lot lighter than my Ultima 90.

OK, so why pay more for the Xigmatek? Is it a better cooler for the price? I'm not trying to start something I seriously want to know b/c I want to replace my OEM HS/Fan.

I dont understand by what you mean pay more, xigmatek is one of the best value performance coolers around to date...

I think he means pay more to replace the stock HS with an aftermarket one, not Xigamatek specifically. The answer to that is obvious. A stock cooler does not yield the best heat disapation, it is designed to handle a stock processor. If you want to overclock then you need something that can handle the heat that comes with that, depending on how far you go. If you start cranking up the Mhz on your processor and it seems like it can go farther but it's running too hot, you know you need better cooling.

This HS looks very interesting, I can't wait to see a comparison to the TRUE, my current favorite.

I think he means pay more to replace the stock HS with an aftermarket one, not Xigamatek specifically. The answer to that is obvious. A stock cooler does not yield the best heat disapation, it is designed to handle a stock processor. If you want to overclock then you need something that can handle the heat that comes with that, depending on how far you go. If you start cranking up the Mhz on your processor and it seems like it can go farther but it's running too hot, you know you need better cooling.

This HS looks very interesting, I can't wait to see a comparison to the TRUE, my current favorite.

Just so you know, i already have comparisons of the older brother to this cooler from last year against the TRUE, so we already have proven results that HDT works ;)

http://www.overclockerspulse.com/te...k-showdown-comprehensive-air-cooling-roundup/

In that case I still like the TRUE better, but I'll concede that HDT is a viable option.

You have to remember that the HDTS-1283 is only slightly more than half the price of the TRUE, and comes with a fan.

And why, oh why do Thermalright have to nickel plate the heatpipes??

It is so thin that it doesn't matter. It also means that my heatsink won't oxidize like these other ones ;)

we tend to say that alot but ive seen some instances where people had nickel plating so thick on their TRUE's it actually hurt performance. There supposed to only have like .003 mm or somthing along that line of the actual nickel coating, but alot of times its + or - that actual number.

we tend to say that alot but ive seen some instances where people had nickel plating so thick on their TRUE's it actually hurt performance. There supposed to only have like .003 mm or somthing along that line of the actual nickel coating, but alot of times its + or - that actual number.
It *should* be uniform since they use baths...

But yes, I agree, not all will be they same.

It is so thin that it doesn't matter. It also means that my heatsink won't oxidize like these other ones ;)

I have never had a copper HS oxidize in any system. The only time I had just a little oxidation was on a BE cooling copper waterblock with my first WC setup.

I have never had a copper HS oxidize in any system. The only time I had just a little oxidation was on a BE cooling copper waterblock with my first WC setup.

well it does oxidize, just at a really slow rate

I dont understand by what you mean pay more, xigmatek is one of the best value performance coolers around to date...

At NewEgg the Kingwing Direct Touch RVT with the 120MM fan is $10 less than the Xigmatek. And according to soem of the other posts Xigmatek is the designer and original maufacturer, but Kignwin is licensed to sell Xigmatel's products with their own features included. SO, why pay $10 more when the parts are virtually the same.

Well as far as i knew the kingwin was only available for that price for a limited time.

Back