• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Nintendo Switch will be the Greatest Failure in the History of Video Games

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That was a very clickbaity title there, rainless.

While I agree that Nintendo has a lot of work to do to get the Switch sold to more people. It is currently sold out pretty much everywhere, so while the sales numbers look good from Nintendo's perspective, they could be significantly higher if they had the stock to back it up. As of right now there are only maybe 2 games worth owning on the Switch -- Zelda (which I am playing on my WiiU and like a lot) and Snipperclips which is only good with co-op. There's some more Nintendo-developed games coming out this year that may be interesting to some people (splatoon2, mariokart 8 deluxe, and the new Mario Odysee). And, of course, some others from third parties. I think that it was a mistake to use the older Tegra X1 chip in the tablet, the new one is significantly more powerful and could get some attention by game devs. The X1 is already behind the times, so I doubt many third parties will want to downgrade and port the game to the Switch.

At least they don't have to worry about dual-screen stuff and other issues that people had with the WiiU. If only it was more powerful and the storage wasn't crap at stock w/o needing to buy an SD card to increase it (comes with 32GB of storage).

I think the console has some potential, I will likely get one eventually, but I have no desire to get one right now when I already have a WiiU for playing Zelda.

Looking at this list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_Switch_games

(sort by release date) there are a good amount of games listed for 2017 (including FIFA, which you mentioned) - (http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ea-announces-ea-sports-fifa-for-the-nintendo-switc/1100-6446899/) (http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/503543/FIFA+on+Switch+will+be+FIFA+18,+possible+September+launch/)

While yes, they have some work to do to get more games lined up that people want to play, the Switch is an evolution of the WiiU in that you actually get a mobile gaming device that works as well as a (Nintend) home-console.

Clickbaity? Well THIS is kind of disturbing: https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/heres-nintendo-switch-sales-compare-182822815.html

Clearly the lack of available titles and Nintendo's own inability to crank out enough hardware to meet demands is hurting them. At this point they're barely beating the Wii-U in terms of Quarter 1 hardware sales, and they're far, far behind in terms of software sales.

Because they HAVE NO software. And if that trend continues you're going to see a repeat of the Wii-U. Doesn't matter if Zelda is the greatest-selling game of all time and it and Mario Kart top the #1 and #2 spots on a top 50 list if PS4 and Xbox One games occupy slots #3 through #50.

Don't know how this could possibly be clearer... we JUST went through this exact same thing with the Wii-U.

EDIT: Annnnd, by the way: It's only "clickbait" if you lure somebody in and you don't actually have anything to say. I've never had that problem.

Last edited:
I read that the Switch is getting Doom and Wolfenstein 2 and Skyrim but personally I don't think it will save it because you can already play these games and how many times now has Skyrim been re-released for gods sake what Nintendo need is new IP's but they won't ever get that for it because they don't have anything to give it themselves except a new Mario, Zelda or Metroid Prime which fans have been screaming for Jesus they screwed up the last Star Fox game so bad it was awful to play. Only way they will get new IP's and exclusive games is by doing another bayonetta 2 paying for it themselves

Good call man... :D

Nintendo's hybrid console has now been the top-selling console in the US for four of six months since launch.
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-switch-outsells-ps4-xbox-one-in-us-august/1100-6453355/

Clickbait definition has nothing to do with whats behind it. The point is to get the click. And with a shock and awe title like that, i'd file it under clickbait too. :)
click·bait
ˈklikbāt/Submit
nouninformal
(on the Internet) content whose main purpose is to attract attention and encourage visitors to click on a link to a particular web page

:rofl:

*2.74 million: Nintendo Switch units sold in its first month on store shelves (March 2017)

*3.91 million: Worldwide shipments for the Wii U approximately 10.5 months after launch.

*5.63 million: Worldwide shipments for the PS3 in approximately 10.5 months of availability.

*5.9 million: Worldwide shipments for the Xbox 360 in approximately 10.5 months of availability.

*7 million: Approximate worldwide sales for the Xbox One in its first 10.5 months of availability.

*8 million: Nintendo's reported initial plans for Switch production for its first full fiscal year (April 2017 through March 2018)

*8.83 million: Worldwide shipments for the Nintendo DS in approximately 10.5 months of availability.

*10 million: Worldwide Switch sales in just under 9 months, reported today.

*10 million: Reported lifetime sales for the TurboGrafx-16.

*10 million: Nintendo's expectation for Switch shipments in the entire April to May fiscal year, as announced in April (about 7.75 million sales have come in that time period so far).

*13.17 million: Worldwide shipments of the Wii in approximately 10.5 months of availability.

*13.5 million: Worldwide sales of the PS4 in approximately 10.5 months of availability.

*13.56 million: Total sales of the Wii U in its four-year lifespan.

*16.7 million: Number of Switch consoles Nintendo expects to sell worldwide by the end of March, as of October.

*14.95 million: Worldwide shipments for the PS2 approximately 8 months after its North American release (includes about 3.52 million sales from six prior months of Japanese release)

*25 to 30 million: Reported production plans for the Nintendo Switch's next fiscal year (April 2018 through March 2019).
https://www.google.com/amp/s/arstec...do-switchs-10-million-sales-in-context/?amp=1

https://www.google.com/search?q=nin...droid-verizon&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Sigh... As always... even after ELEVEN YEARS on these forums... I will have the last laugh.

The Nintendo Switch still hasn't sold NEARLY as many units as the PS4 and the Xbox One. Even if they're outselling them on a month-to-month basis the other two each have a 4 year head start and billions of dollars in games sold. Once the well of AAA Switch titles dries up (which it ALWAYS does...) The Switch will be dead in the water with whatever number they get stuck with. Meanwhile Sony and Microsoft will continue selling billions of dollars a year worth games while eventually the hottest game on Switch will be "Crayola Adventures."

They haven't been out as long... makes sense!

So far, however, it already fought through your first hurdle! ;)

Edit: i mean, i dont expect it to outsell those either after that long on the market, but its not going to be "the greatest failure in the history of video games".

Last edited:
Sigh... As always... even after ELEVEN YEARS on these forums... I will have the last laugh.

The Nintendo Switch still hasn't sold NEARLY as many units as the PS4 and the Xbox One. Even if they're outselling them on a month-to-month basis the other two each have a 4 year head start and billions of dollars in games sold. Once the well of AAA Switch titles dries up (which it ALWAYS does...) The Switch will be dead in the water with whatever number they get stuck with. Meanwhile Sony and Microsoft will continue selling billions of dollars a year worth games while eventually the hottest game on Switch will be "Crayola Adventures."
I think the point is that the console is already beyond being a failure, which your hyperbolic these title stated. I don't expect Nintendo to outsell the PS4 or XB1, and they have repeatedly stated that while in the same market they don't consider them direct competition. For the most part now you can own a switch and a high end PC and be able to play pretty much every major game that comes out each year. Adding a PS4 for the Sony exclusives while the xb1 exclusives are mostly also available on PC.

You're still a fresh babe on these forums Rainless...

HA! So how come they don't let YOU be a mod like everybody else? :p

And Janus... Puh...leassse! Nintendo's been saying the "We're not competing with the other video game companies" bit for YEARS now... but you'd have to be a lunatic to believe that. That's like saying Burger King isn't competing with McDonald's. "They're in the fast food business... but WE'RE in the Burger Business!"

It's true. They have passed the point of being a Jaguar/3DO/VirtualBoy level failure... I'll concede that much. They have more legs than I would've given them credit for and third party developers are finally beginning to half-*** some games for them.

The war they're fighting is already lost though.

Nintendo's saving grace... at this point... is the fact that the PS4 and Xbox One will probably be around for much longer than their predecessors thus extending this console generation. So if anything: They got lucky. :D :beer:

Lol... not sure there is a threshold where this 11 year member will admit hes wrong. God bless ambiguity and moving goal posts! :)

Lol... not sure there is a threshold where this 11 year member will admit hes wrong. God bless ambiguity and moving goal posts! :)

You mean 11-year-old member right? :)

I do know what you mean about moving goal posts, lol.

Just got my failure console and as always I'm impressed with the look and feel of the nintendo product. Firing up Mario after this system update...

You mean 11-year-old member right? :)

I do know what you mean about moving goal posts, lol.

Just got my failure console and as always I'm impressed with the look and feel of the nintendo product. Firing up Mario after this system update...

THANK YOU for referring to the console by its proper name! :p

THANK YOU for referring to the console by its proper name! :p

Well after playing mario and zelda pretty much all day I can say I'm happy with my purchase. I know you really wanted Nintendo to let me down, but sadly I've accomplished nothing today outside of playing video games...

Well after playing mario and zelda pretty much all day I can say I'm happy with my purchase. I know you really wanted Nintendo to let me down, but sadly I've accomplished nothing today outside of playing video games...

Sigh... Doesn't anybody wait til Christmas anymore...? (Not that *I* waited til Christmas... How could I? Digital downloads... Not like I could stick them under a tree...)

I actually WANT Nintendo to succeed... On something like "actual merit"... not nostalgia. The Gamecube... for example... was a pretty successful console that competed pretty favorably with the Playstation 2 and Xbox while still producing solid original Nintendo hits. (Including Zelda.)

Their next console was a TOY. It was a toy that they sold millions and millions of... but a toy nonetheless. And once the novelty wore off it mainly collected dust in people's closets. The follow-up was an undeniable failure using any rubric you'd care to measure.

So-far so-good with the Switch. And I'm happy they were able to pull it off. I actually went around to all the electronic stores when it came out (with the concert pianist I was seeing at the time) just to see if it was actually sold out. It was. That made me happy.

I might even pick one up if it ever dips below 200 (which I doubt seeing as people are still trying to get 250 for their used Wii-Us...)

In the end I don't think they have enough horsepower under the hood to make the console sustainable. I think they've thrown everything they had out there this year and that... when the drought comes... it's going to be a particularly nasty one.

I was wrong about the Switch being the biggest failure in console gaming history... I do hope they find some magical way to prove me wrong again.

One thing I've always thought was funny is that people consider Halo, gears of war, killzone, etc as exclusive titles but Mario and Zelda are "nostalgia." It's also funny that Zelda won the game of the year yet people think games need to have the best graphics to be successful. Nintendo just has a different approach to gaming. In a time when cell phones sell more games than consoles/pc I don't blame them for looking for ways to make gaming fun for everyone.

One thing I've always thought was funny is that people consider Halo, gears of war, killzone, etc as exclusive titles but Mario and Zelda are "nostalgia." It's also funny that Zelda won the game of the year yet people think games need to have the best graphics to be successful. Nintendo just has a different approach to gaming. In a time when cell phones sell more games than consoles/pc I don't blame them for looking for ways to make gaming fun for everyone.

You've got me wrong. On two fronts. I don't consider Mario and Zelda to be Nostalgia... I was accusing fans of propping up the nintendo *brand* on the basis of pure nostalgia. The certainly tried to with the Wii-U... And of course Zelda probably deserved game of the year... but my point is that Nintendo can only make so many Marios and so many Zeldas before they run out. Then you wind up with a situation like the back end of the Nintendo Wii run where there were few AAA first party titles and the 3rd parties were producing mainly shovelware.

This is a pretty hilarious thread considering how wrong you were and are. Switch will outsell the Xbox One by the end of next year, that just makes sense considering it is consistently outselling it month after month in the US and Japan. If sales start to slow down then they can release Pokemon and they'll go crazy again, or Smash... or a new Mario Kart.

How can something that is the fastest selling home video game system ever in the US also be the greatest failure in the history of video games? Lol.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/h...Switch-Fastest-Selling-Home-Video-Game-System

So after owning the switch for a couple of weeks I do have a huge regret...

Only that I didn't buy it sooner. Zelda is an amazing game. Mario is super fun, even the wife is enjoying it.

Back