• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Nintendo Switch will be the Greatest Failure in the History of Video Games

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hahahaha! How you liking the 850 evo?

Love it much faster than the older gen ssds I had ( ocz vertex , kingston ) and it has been stable for me . 500 gig has been enough space for me , I don't feel like I have to delete something when ever I wanted to install something like with my 120g
ssd.JPG

So after owning the switch for a couple of weeks I do have a huge regret...

Only that I didn't buy it sooner. Zelda is an amazing game. Mario is super fun, even the wife is enjoying it.

I got one about 2 weeks ago and it's a lot of fun. I only have Zelda and some free games right now but I will get something from new titles after release.
I'm amazed how well some games run on so weak specs. I mean I don't have more games but can easily find gameplay videos on youtube like Wolfenstein II or Skyrim. Of course it doesn't look as good as on PS4 or XBOX but all the competition isn't really mobile.
I have no idea what about the latest XBOX but I was really disappointed about the 360. It was big, loud and some games had problems with high enough FPS. The Switch has everything I was missing in my previous consoles.
Short battery life can be problematic if you want to take it with you on some longer trip without a chance to charge it. I was on Malta last week. Flight from/to my city took about 2h 40min ... in this time console went from 100% to about 5% while playing Zelda.

I don't like most games released on PC in last years. Many new titles are more to watch than to play. There is a lot of noise about some games and later they last for one weekend and I don't even want to go back to them. On PC I only stick to mmorpg and sometimes play Civilization series ... which will be on the Switch soon.
I don't even want to talk about the costs but really, the console isn't cheap while it still costs less than a medium performance Nvidia or AMD graphics card, not to mention whole PC. It really depends on what you want to play and how.

Exclusives make it good as most other things are meh. I also dislike so many refreshed old games recently. Like they have no good ideas anymore (but the same is for PC or other consoles). Still, there are so many good exclusives and some on the way, it's worth buying the console for that. Only Zelda BotW took me maybe 300h.

Recently I bought Xbox X and I have to admit, I can't find any good game that would make me play for long hours. Everything is just boring for longer. I have the pass service as I got it cheap so I'm trying various titles but I highly doubt I find anything that will be as much fun as some titles for Switch.

Forgot this thread even existed.

I now own a Switch. When it comes to games consoles, normally there is a title that makes me go, I want to play that, I can't do it another way, so I have to get it. That title was Pokemon Snap. It was fun for some weeks, but now I'm feeling like, there's nothing else that is a must get. Pokemon Arceus sounded promising, open world Pokemon BOTW style? When I saw actual gameplay, it wasn't what I was looking for. I don't know what I wanted, but it wasn't that. Chocobo GP was a maybe, but the inclusion of mobile game like progression upset many. Mainline Pokemon games are just all so samey, I didn't feel like doing the same thing I've done multiple times with updated visuals and yet more pokemon names. I even tried BOTW, but since I played Genshin first, BOTW just didn't wow me. I knew when buying the Switch I wasn't the target demographic, so I'm not exactly overflowing on games I want on it.

On a parallel note, I bought a PS5 recently. There wasn't any must have game this time around. It was more like, I had a one-off chance, and if I passed I don't know when the next chance might come. So I need games for it... Gran Turismo 7 just got released, and I played this series back to 3 or maybe even earlier. It was pretty nostalgic to me. Gameplay was as expected, and it looked better than ever, but it was nothing new. Genshin on PS5 runs worse than on my PC, although to be fair my GPU alone cost 2x what the whole PS5 did. WoWS Legends seems like a simplified equivalent to the PC version. I've given up on FF main series games since XV moved to action combat, so XVI is not on my radar. So, I'm still struggling for something I can't get elsewhere that I want to sink a ton of time into. There was a teaser recently for something looking like a spiritual successor to FF Tactics but that is its own niche, I could fill now with Disgaea if I wanted to.

@mackerel do you like Mario games? Mario Odyssey and 3D World + Bowsers Fury are both excellent games. You may like the Fire Emblem (Three Houses on switch) games if you enjoyed tactics-based gameplay. The Paper Mario game that game out for Switch was enjoyable enough, if you have ever played those types of games. As has been mentioned, the Metroid Dread game is supposed to be solid, although I haven't picked it up yet.

For PS5, maybe check out Ghost of Tsushima?

Mario+Rabbids is a lot of fun, it's turn-based, and is on sale quite often. There will be the second part of this game soon. Actually, everything from the Mario series is fun.

Thanks for the suggestions. I should say up front I'm not into action combat games at all which is in part why I couldn't really get into BOTW. Didn't like the combat system at all, and I'm not a fan of stealth games either if it is possible to avoid combat. Genshin is the sole exception.

I'm also not into the main Mario games. Whatever the current Mario Kart is about the only title I'd consider playing, but I don't think I'd want to play it enough to be worth getting. The party games are ok but I'd only ever play them at a friend who owns them already.

I'll have to look up Fire Emblem and Mario+Rabbids some more. I have friends that are far more into Switch and they get physical games, so I can borrow them if they have it.

Honestly not surprised. Yeah Nintendo leans heavily into exclusives, but I feel they do "casual" better than Sony/MS.

I think Animal Crossing: New Horizons, BotW, and Pokemon helped drive sales at the start of COVID. When you couldn't just run out to a restaurant or a movie theater when you were bored, they're games pretty much anyone could pick up and get into easily.

We still have our launch Switch in service. We have it loaded with Mario games as we have other consoles too. I like it, and so do my kids. It doesn't get used as much as it used too, but still a few times a week.

I think we can all agree... that I was absolutely right. :D

I got a Switch Lite at the beginning of the pandemic (only because every normal Switch on the planet was sold out.)

It is exactly enough Nintendo for me though it didn't REALLY pay off until Metroid Dread.

Switch has obviously been a huge success: Since the somewhat questionable launch they were (obviously) able to regroup and overcome a lot of the mistakes the Wii made. (They've been much friendlier to third party developers in terms of ports, simultaneous releases, and brand new IPs.)

This was all unexpected since it goes against the way Nintendo had done business since after the Gamecube.

Nowadays games like Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate come out the same DAY on Playstation, Xbox, and Switch...

...didn't see that one coming! :beer:

True, it is quite bizarre to see a game like MK11 come out on switch, period, even if it is severely hamstrung by the hardware.

Now if only Nintendo could get their heads out of their butts regarding how their online/playing with friends infrastructure worked...

True, it is quite bizarre to see a game like MK11 come out on switch, period, even if it is severely hamstrung by the hardware.

Now if only Nintendo could get their heads out of their butts regarding how their online/playing with friends infrastructure worked...

It's that old Nintendo stubbornness coming back to bite them in the ***. They've had multiple console generations to prepare some kind of online multiplayer infrastructure. They're apparently skipping the next gen and 4k altogether and sticking with the original Switch for the remainder of this console generation... so you'd think they would use this opportunity to get their infrastructure up to snuff.

Time will tell...

you'd hope so. Our household currently has 2 switches (I have a 1st gen one and my kids have a 2nd gen one, both non-lite). If they had released a "pro" model that had better hardware and supported 4K/HDR/etc I would have bought it, assuming there was a catalog and back-catalog of upgraded titles to support the hardware. I think the pandemic and chip shortages greatly influenced their plans though, but with nVidia coming out with new SOC hardware maybe Nintendo will follow suit and use them for the next one... maybe.

Back