• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The OFFICIAL UT 2003 Thread!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
well, what detail settings/res are you at anyway? if yer at medium/high settings at 1600x1200, that could be part of the problem :D

crucial said:
well, what detail settings/res are you at anyway? if yer at medium/high settings at 1600x1200, that could be part of the problem :D
True, but he did say he didn't have the problem when playing against bots at home.

The game:
I don't like it. It is quakish and I don't like the quake feel. If people like the Quake feel they should stick with Quake. I don't think weapons aren't as balanced as they were in UT. The lightning gun is a joke. It reloads way too slow and the head zone feels smaller from UT. Completely useless for melee use. The shock rifle isn't as badly limited. The secondary ball moves super slow but it feels like primary reloads faster. With the new dodges and jumps the combo is pretty useless for melee fighting. The end of shock hos. The new ho weapon is going to be the rocket launcher. It comes with more rockets, they go faster and do more damage. Lovely.:rolleyes:

The problem I have with the announcer is his play-by-play stuff in BR, CTF. That is really annoying.

When it comes out I'm undecided on if I will be buying it. I worship UT. This doesn't have the UT feel. As it is now, I will still be playing UT after the release of this.

The engine:
It looks great. The physics are amazing. On the bombing run map jump down the hole and bounce off the beams.:eek: The netcode is improved. I can play with hit-scan weapons with a ~250 ping, much better then UT. Overall, it does not seem as taxing as the hype suggested. I can play play it nicely at 1600x1200 high detail. (note: the demo's textures are at half the resolution as the ones in the final game.)

It seems ZoneAlarm is causing the problem somehow:
http://www.ina-community.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=205222
I tried turning ZoneAlarm off, and the problem disappeared.
However, I'm scared of being online without a firewall, even with 64K ISDN dialup.
I have it set to 1024x768x32 @120Hz with all details at mimimum and FOV 133.5, and get between 80-170 fps on that second Deathmatch level, the inside one. With 1280x960x32 @100Hz I get between 75-170 fps.

the UT shock rifle was much, much more powerful, and although secondary is slower.. mind you its incredibly easy to do moving combo's, even on higher pings, making it still decent for 'melee' use

cant wait to get full version... im sick of playing the same levels :rolleyes:

AZN

All people seem to do is compair it to Quake. Why? It's a game, not something that's going to make you live longer or make you cool or something. Just play it and have fun. Don't like it? Don't play it.

i would say most compare it to Q3 because its

a. similar to Q3 (when compared to UT)
b. many yootee players don't like that

i don't really care either way, its a pretty good game

the health packs are now 25points and BR seems kinda cool. I feel that some of the weapons are off. the rocket launcher is god and shock is still good but very slow and the sweet spot is smaller so hard to do moving combos. I have done a few moving combos online and it is about 20% harder than the UT shock ho thing. I bet with a bunch of skill the shock hos will still be the best.

the lightning gun is the worst and seems like the minigun secondary is taking forever to kill someone.

all and all the weapons shoot too fast so with alot of people you are already dead.

I play with a bunch of guys that are ex-epic employees and I always win so if you want to see me move fast/kill you any time! that is for UT not 2k3 cuz I only can get a wicked kill so far.

;)

but seriously I'll play sometime we should have a server that east coast people would look for other OCers.

Oni said:

:rolleyes:

Learn how to move faster.

ROFL Oni, that was great.

im down, i always say we should all play.

i cant till my new HSF comes on monday though

~1900/345

As for it being laggy, there was about 10 other people in the server. My cable can only do so much, y'know? It wasn't my box lagging, either. Plenty of headroom there. Might have been eDonkey lagging the connection . . .

As for it being up late, well, you played anyways, didn't you? I'm a nightowl, what do you expect?

*Crumples up demo, misses trash can*

Well, I just tried it, and at 1024x768, it lagged like crap. On top of that, it looked like the original Unreal with slightly more complex polygons.

And WTF happened to Anna and what's-her-butt and the rest of the hot Tournament chicks!?

Also, that dude smashing through the nVidia logo at the beginning scared my ****less. There is literally a hole in my pants from when the contents of my bowels were forcibly expelled. Guess I shouldn't leave the volume up so loud next time. :rolleyes:

The fly-by works nice, but the actual playing part kills the frame rate. I guess I'll just stick with UT until I can afford to get my VooDoo framed *and* grab a 9700 or whatever.

ThePerfectCore said:
*Crumples up demo, misses trash can*

Well, I just tried it, and at 1024x768, it lagged like crap. On top of that, it looked like the original Unreal with slightly more complex polygons.

And WTF happened to Anna and what's-her-butt and the rest of the hot Tournament chicks!?

Also, that dude smashing through the nVidia logo at the beginning scared my ****less. There is literally a hole in my pants from when the contents of my bowels were forcibly expelled. Guess I shouldn't leave the volume up so loud next time. :rolleyes:

The fly-by works nice, but the actual playing part kills the frame rate. I guess I'll just stick with UT until I can afford to get my VooDoo framed *and* grab a 9700 or whatever.

you dont need a 9700, an 8500 or a gf3 or gf4 4200 will do great

TEST SERVER UP

I'm trying to see how many can get on-line without lagging on my SDSL 768/768 line. I've set it to max at 12 players with 2 spectators. The bots are set to intermediate and I will be rotating both deathmatch maps (Antalus and Asbestos).

Go to the master server and look up "mbigna". All comers are welcome. I will try to have this up every evening around 8 pm central time this week. Let me know how your experience is.

Back