• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The OS Box - Concept

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fedorenko

Hello.

Due to the close proximity of me getting a job, I have out some renewed intrest into the '100 OS's in a Box' idea. The plan though has taken a 'detour'. My main aim now is to beat the guy claiming to have '37 Unique Operating Systems' when half of them are Linux, and the other half is Windows. My attempted of getting 38 operating systems wil involve unique operating system bases (1 Linux, I Windows, 1 AtheOS). I currently have this list gained from previous threads about this topic:

-Windows
-BeOS
-QNX RTOS
-AtheOS
-TriangleOS
-RedHat Linux
-OS/2 Warp 4
-NeXTSTEP
-KOS
-Solaris
-PetrOS
-SkyOS
-MenuetOS
-Inferno
-OpenBSD
-MS-DOS

Only 16 opeprating systems, well its a start. Im currently looking into finding very alternative operating systmes to complete the rest of the required numbers.

There has been one more modification to the original plan. Instead of a standard IBM computer being inside a case, I will be constructing a cube like case that will contain 3 motherboards. The motherboards are:

-IBM Compatable (exact specifications yet to be decided)
-Apple Beige G3 Tower
-AmigaONE G3-SE

The inclusion of these computers give me the maximum amount of compatability for operating systems, so it is hopeful that I will be able to achieve the 'Largest amount of operating systems in a single box' award. I have included some early design pictures of what I think The OS Box should be like.

TheOS Box - Front.png

theosbox- back.png

TheOSBox - Side.png

theosbox - top.png

TheOSBox - Internal Setout.png

A=IBM
B=Apple
C=Amiga
D=Floppy/CDROM Drives
E=Power Supplies
F=LCD Monitor

TheOSBox - Cast Sticker.png

The OS Box's case sticker.

There is 2 fans for each motherboard and there input is vented to the front of the box, then pushed back over the board. The air escapes naturally out of vents (as does the light from the red cathode).

Due to the very limited amount of hardware tinkering you can do once the motherboard is mounted in its box, there will only be 5 cables comming ouot of the box (1 Power, 1 Modem, 1 Keyboard, 1 Mouse, 1 monitor). There will be some 'fancy' wiring to get all the motherboards to use the same keyboard and mouse.

Since this will be alot of work to develop, im hoping to eventually sell a few of them over the internet for a 700 US Dollars (Before you start calling me a con man, think about how much the hardware is going to cost, the AmigaONE for example is 350 Pounds.)

The point of this whole conversation has been to ask you a few questions. They are:
  1. Does anybody know of other operating systems that run on x86 or PPC?
  2. Does anybody see any major problems with my current design?
  3. Does anybody think they would be intereasted in purchasing one?
  4. Does anybody have any 'pointers' about case construction?
    [/list=1]

Thanks for your help.

Well Im one hell of an idiot....

I forgot one computing platform that I should put in there. So, just imagine those pictures with one extra layer on them which holds a RiscStation R7500.

4 computers are better than 3.....

Sorry for the screw-up.

Last edited:
You could do two linux installs, one for x86 and one for PPC (Yellow Dog). Neither are compatible with each other, so they are two technologically different systems, are they not? Throw is a PS2, Game Cube, XBox, N64 and such and it would be even better:D . Talk to some of the people here that are writing their own OS. They certainly count . . . Also, try some of the previous Mac OS's (before the system 7.5 and the 6.9s and such).

Z

What about the open source OS Darwin which as it happens is the basis of the MAC OSX and runs on x86 platform

You should add FreeBSD, NetBSD, and Darwin to the x86 side. You can add OS9, MaxOSX, and mkLinux (not the same as normal Linux for the PowerPC) to the Apple side. I think Linuxppc would count as a Linux, its only incompatible in that its on a different cpu so of course it can't run the same binaries as Linux on x86.

Ok, what Im a hearing is differneces between x86 and PPC linux. Well, I also found ot that PPC BeOS is signifigantly differnet to BeOS on x86 so I can give that a whirl too. I also now consider Windows XP and Windows 98SE signifigantly different, so they are now applicable for the computer. Same for MacOS 9.0 and MacOS X.

So, my updated list is:

-Windows 98SE
-Windows XP
-BeOS 5 Pro (Intel)
-BeOS 5 Pro (PPC)
-MacOS X
-MacOS 9
-QNX RTOS
-AtheOS
-Syllable
-TriangleOS
-RedHat Linux
-OS/2 Warp 4
-NeXTSTEP
-KOS
-Solaris
-PetrOS
-SkyOS
-MenuetOS
-Inferno
-OpenBSD
-MS-DOS
-Rhaspody DR2
-NetBSD
-FreeBSD
-Darwin
-AmigaOS 4
-RiscOS 4

28 Operating Sytems, yah. I will be adding version numbers to all he list later today, Im at school right now.

My main concern is darwin, doesn't it only support a 440BX chipset?

As a note: I have not fogoten that a few people on OC.com are aiming to make there own os such as Garfield and 'Pride'. I will require a HCL from them for inclusion to the 'OS Box'.

Also, you have helped me with the OS side alot today already, but no one wants to buy one.....:(

Last edited:
Unfortunately, we'd have to pay a lot more than what you suggested. Not only will you have to buy at least 4 OS's, costing around 400 to 500 dollars all on its own, but you'll also have to buy OSX compatible mac boards and memory and a dedicated hard drive for it (at least 150, probably more). Then you'll have to go out and find the proper chipset mobo, CPU, RAM (another 200 probably), then a few more hard drives etc. Where you'll get those parts is another concern. Either way, I think you're looking at a lot closer to 1000 dollars, if that little. I'm not trying to squash your box, there. I think it's a really good idea and loads of fun. I want one for myself, but I'd rather it be a gaming box, with only XP Pro, OSX, and consoles.

Z

also, I think you'll need a power supply for each mobo, not a single one (that adds 3 cables to your "going out" bunch of cables). except if you only intend to use and power one mobo at a time, which changes things ...

EDIT : duh, nevermind, just checked your graphics again, :rolleyes:, anyways, how will you attach 4 grahics card to a single LCD ? and what about the keyboard/mouse ? you'll really have 4 different kb/mice hanging out of a single comp ? not trying to down you, just pointing out some stuff...

Well he can get and include a KVM switch, but that adds to the cost. It's still a really good idea, but it's getting more expensive by the minute.

Z

Hi again,

So many painful questions to think about. Here are the answers (well, what I think could pass as answers):

Q. How will you attach 4 grahics card to a single LCD?
A. Couldnt I just splice the cables together...:d (well, I thought about that one alot....)

Q. What about the keyboard/mouse?
A. Same answer for question 1.

Q. But you'll also have to buy OSX compatible mac boards?
A. Beige G3 is MacOS X compat.

Q. Price?
A. Second hand all the way!

Well, this little post has opened my eyes. I should have a good estimate of price by tonight.

How is the argument coming up that operating systems on different archs are vastly different? Beos ppc and x86 look the same, most code will compile on either, only significant differences are due to being on different hardware platforms. Ditto for Linux on the ppc and on the x86.

Arghh, you make this all to confusing for a simple lad. Im seriously considering going for as many versions as I want now, differnet years for example. But only 1 linux, Redhat.

Would this 'soil' the idea?

The prices for these things burn :mad:.

2112.426 US Dollars for the computers by there bloody selves! Let alone the lisences for Windows 98, Windows XP, MacOS 9 and MacOS X.

I want it so badly though....

Windows 3.1!!!
DOS...not MS-DOS, but the original. LS-DOS or something like that. :p Can't remember.

I saw a copy of windows 1.0?? at the local Vallue Village. I didn't even know it existed!! Is NT built around Win98?

Are you looking for different looking? Windows 98 and 2000 look pretty much the same, so I assume not.

Also, Read up on proprietary oses. I had a hd utility that ran on it's own os from a floppy...might work.

About the prices. Secondhand is the only way to go..........*nudge*

:beer:

Just an update on the plan. For the sake of purity, Im standing by the single type of OS, single OS installed policy. To verify which version of the OS I will be using, the most modern version will be used.

The most modern DOS will be used.

LittlePiggie: Can you give me some more information about those propeity disk OS's?

Also, other than the IBM computer, the computers Ip have decided to use are listed below:

-Blue and White G3 (Apple)
-Iyonix PC (Risc)
-AmigaONE G3-SE (Amiga)
-IBM (Most likely P3 600 with basic graphic capability).

With this conversation, I believe it si possible tog et 50 Operating systems in this box.

Last edited:
The predecessor to MSDos was Qdos, and I believe Qdos was inspired by CP/M. Or maybe they were the same things, I'm fuzzy on it.

NT most certainly didn't come from Windows 98. It was around well before Windows 98 and Windows 95, even.

Oh. Sorry, forgot what my post was about. Well, I had an old disk utility back when I first got my pentium 166mmx. I can't recall the name, and the disk died long ago.:rolleyes: soo. Just look around for stuff like that. I'll put out some feelers also. I think it was an old 2.5 gig seagate, but I'm not sure.

Oh yeah...

oh. just thought of something. Look for old Silicon Graphics stuff, they have some...maybe. Just a thought. Did commodore have it's own OS? If so, that would be good.

Back