• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED THE OVEN TRICK - WORKED

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
its worth a shot!

you should definitely separate the 2 cards so when you bake them all the components are facing up.

That's what I was thinking. I should just bake the gpu that isn't working correct? They are both INDIVIDUAL cards accept for the SLI..

Before I do this I'm going to uninstall all 3 cards and try the faulty card in each slot to make sure something isn't screwy.

Then I'll bake.

That's what I was thinking. I should just bake the gpu that isn't working correct? They are both INDIVIDUAL cards accept for the SLI..

Before I do this I'm going to uninstall all 3 cards and try the faulty card in each slot to make sure something isn't screwy.

Then I'll bake.

ya i would only bake the half card that needs it. No point to subject something to such high heat if it dont need it.

And note... my 9800gt 512 is still working like a champ.... powered down and let it cool completly down, then started up and instantly started furmark... and shes chuggin long like a champ.

Question on the 9800gt 512's 65nm..... do they have 2d and 3d clocks... cus it seems like mine is always maxed out... and second is the stock cooling on these reference 9800gt's as bad as this.... idles at mid to low 70*c loads at 86-87*c but sounds like a jet taking off!

G92 runs at the same 3D clocks all the time. But that is pretty hot for that card. Is the HS mounted well?

I've got a 8800GTS-512 in my HTPC, and I mounted the smaller 8800GT cooler on it. I also reduced the GPUv down to 1.00v using it's BIOS. It's still stable at stock clocks like this, but nothing higher. Temps max out in the low 70's under load, and the fan also peaks at around 70% at these temps. Can't ever hear it except for the 1 or 2 secs during boot when the fan runs at 100%.

G92 runs at the same 3D clocks all the time. But that is pretty hot for that card. Is the HS mounted well?

I've got a 8800GTS-512 in my HTPC, and I mounted the smaller 8800GT cooler on it. I also reduced the GPUv down to 1.00v using it's BIOS. It's still stable at stock clocks like this, but nothing higher. Temps max out in the low 70's under load, and the fan also peaks at around 70% at these temps. Can't ever hear it except for the 1 or 2 secs during boot when the fan runs at 100%.

i might try remounting it... but its a VERY small cooler for the 65nm 9800gt.... it idles at like 74*C @ 30% fan and loads at 86*C at 90-100% fan.... and its not like the HS isnt getting hot due to bad mounting... the thing gets SCALDING... id bet if i put my zalman VF900 on it temps would drop a whole lot!

Honestly i think it has the original 8800gt cooler on it... the one with the small fan, before they switched over to using the larger one.

i might try remounting it... but its a VERY small cooler for the 65nm 9800gt.... it idles at like 74*C @ 30% fan and loads at 86*C at 90-100% fan.... and its not like the HS isnt getting hot due to bad mounting... the thing gets SCALDING... id bet if i put my zalman VF900 on it temps would drop a whole lot!

Honestly i think it has the original 8800gt cooler on it... the one with the small fan, before they switched over to using the larger one.

Gotta love that backwards engineering!

Gotta love that backwards engineering!

lol.... too be completely honest... alls i think they did was took an original 8800gt they had laying around.... and changed the bios identifier to 9800gt instead of 8800gt.... cus lookin in the bios, the boot screen would read 8800gt LOL.

O well... flashed the bios so that the lowest fan setting is 50% and lowered the voltage from 1.05 to 1.00 which helps some but not a whole lot.... damn crappy 1 slot cooling!

Regardless.... the card is still chuggin along strong after i baked it... have yet to see one artifact.

For s and g's i ran a 3dmark06 run... the stock 9800gt that i got for free, paired with a e3300 and mobo combo i got for 42 bucks, with 2x1gb of ddr2 667 mhz ram which was also free, in a free case, with a 20 dollar antec earth watts 430.... the 62 dollar system scored a good 10-15% higher than my main rig did when i built it with its 8800gts 640... and i paid 2200 for it back in the day :bang head

Wish me luck!!!

top gpu of 1st of 3 cards going in the oven in a few minutes!

I used nd4spdbh2 idea and used screws to prop the card up off of the cookie sheet.

3mm diameter by about that long :D(little shorter than his but still a good 1.5" of space)

I'll report back later

Oven trick worked 1 out of 3. I think that the 2 are just jacked up. Now that I see it and think about it, those 2 are previously baked as the light on the I/O plate and the power connector are brown.

Just put mine in the oven. Didn't have any video when i boot but on board graphics work. So i followed the guide and we will see whats happens. Ill post later on tonight and see if it worked or not.

Wish me luck!!!

top gpu of 1st of 3 cards going in the oven in a few minutes!

I used nd4spdbh2 idea and used screws to prop the card up off of the cookie sheet.

3mm diameter by about that long :D(little shorter than his but still a good 1.5" of space)

I'll report back later

ya i used 6/32nd screws and they actually threaded themselves into the pcb holes on the 9800gt haha

Seems to have worked on my card booted right up no problems running it right now. :)

But i didnt have any more thermal paste. So the card is running a little hotter now. About 57c maxed out. And idling around 45c. Im gonna go by staples tomorrow and get me some arctic silver or what ever they have and then try it

The mere fact that this can work astounds me. Just keep Walt Disney away from any ovens for fear of reanimation, then a conquest to rid the world of Jews by an army of It's a Small World robots.

Update on my 8800GT cards.

The one I baked earlier is still running great, except when it reached really high temperatures it would artifact (100 Celcius). So I installed some fresh AS5 and artifacting is now gone.

Here's an interesting development though on my second 8800GT which I had RMA'd to BFG. It came back with an apology letter stating that they don't have the supplier anymore that provides the chips they need and are in the process of liquidating that line of business. I had talked to BFG before and yes they said they are quitting the graphic card business all together as it just isn't profitable or feasible for them anymore. So be warned, don't by BFG graphic cards as their warranty is now useless.

As for the broken video card (which artifacts still) that they failed to repair or even touch for that matter, guess what I did with it?

Yup. You've guessed it.
And it works like a charm! Same procedure and I have never seen it run so perfectly and flawlessly.

So for review: I had two 8800GTs that starting artifacting one after another. I couldn't use my computer and when I asked for help from BFG on honoring their lifetime warranty, a downright refusal to help. So typically what a normal person would do is rave, cringe, :bang head and start cursing at BFG for their shitty cards and tell everyone/anyone never to buy any of their products ever again! But what happened instead? Yup, used the oven trick, fixed both cards, and am back up and running with big smiles on my face.

I've gotten more intimate with my two 8800GTs you can say, exposed them to years of gaming and fixed them all by myself. I love these guys. They have been faithful. :) Just took some work and maintenance. Kind of like a relationship.. lol:thup:

That oven trick is cool and stuff, but why not only heating the chip itself?
This problem is caused by a bad solder join.
You can also get the card professionally reballed for 100$, but we all know its not worth the money.

Alienware M9750 w Nvidia 8700M GT 512mb Video Card

:thup:
Holy crap I read this post and was like yeah right I'm going to bake my laptop's video card and it's going to magically work? Then I read all these people saying it works. So I gave it a shot. Pre-heated to 385 degrees F, used 4 small BNC connectors to raise the corners and placed it in a pizza pan lined with wax paper. FYI the wax paper smokes like mad. Plus be very sure to remove rubber gromets or stickers before baking. Anyway, first 5 minutes I took a look and it was starting to get shiny around the chips on the surface. Gave it another minute and a half and pulled it out and allowed it to cool. About 30-45 minutes later I popped it in and it worked right away.
The original issue with this laptop was that I couldn't get the screen to light up, no external video and no beeps or error codes at all would just light up the HDD, Power buttons and so on and sit. You saved me tons and tons of money. Alienware wanted over a grand to send it in and repair this. Even though it is a laptop it will be a stationary desk based laptop for the remainder of it's years. Thanks again for the post!

well I am more than astounded to report that my 3-months-dead 4870x2 card is now back up and running. This is unbelievable!! Before I chucked it in the PC spares drawer it produced so many artefacts that I could not even read the bios screen never mind make it into windows.
Now I am typing this on that same graphics card after 5 mins @ gas mark 6. I gave the oven 20 mins to get up to temperature and left it to cool down for 4 hours before putting all the parts back together.
Thank you, thank you, thank you to those who pioneered this. This baby cost my £400 and lasted only 18moths before dying on me. (read about the sorry saga here)

going to add another success story to the list of oven trick successes. This time an XBOX 360.... my buddies cousin gave it to him cus it was dead... "RROD" and i told him to bake it in the oven.... initially he looked at me like... umm your joking right, then i explained and hes like... that MIGHT just work. low and behold... 9 min @ 400*F and he now has a free xbox!

Baked my dead 8800gt worked for about 5 min then stopped, have yet to have any luck getting it to work. Baked it longer, hotter, let it cool overnight, still no go.

going to add another success story to the list of oven trick successes. This time an XBOX 360.... my buddies cousin gave it to him cus it was dead... "RROD" and i told him to bake it in the oven.... initially he looked at me like... umm your joking right, then i explained and hes like... that MIGHT just work. low and behold... 9 min @ 400*F and he now has a free xbox!

Now that's a great idea.

Back