• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED THE OVEN TRICK - WORKED

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Umm,no one? Please?

If it doesn't work as it is now, what have you got to lose? If the oven trick doesn't work, then you only lost ten minutes and a few cents of electricity. If you have done all of the usual things (check the connectors for damage/proper installation, put another card in to see if it's the motherboard, etc.) and it's definitely broken, go for it.

ya, u jacked it right out from underneath me!!!! lol... good luck!

Im not sure if just letting gravity push the gpu core down to the pcb will be enough (although it was enough to pull it off haha) ... maybe a small weight during the baking process on top of the gpu core to make sure its soldered good.

BTW ANOTHER +1 for the oven trick... i got bored today, and decided to bake an old stick of DDR2 pc 4200 that was dead... im pretty sure i over heated it when i was playing with it at 2.0v 800mhz a long while back... anyways if u put it in any system it would cause the system not to even post.... for such a small item i did 6min at the standard 380ish *f i normally do.... just passed 3 hrs of memtest he he he!

RAM also likes the "Freezer Trick"

Revived about 6 sticks of DDR2 D9's back in the day :attn:

Oh... I have a stick of ram that POSTs but major errors... got another that's dead. I'll try to revive it next chance I get... just for gits and shiggles. ;)

Well tax returns came in, we are gettnig a new oven anyway, I will put my old 8800gt and see if I can get it working again :)

WOO HOO My 8800gt no longer has artifacts and runs great.

390 degrees for 7 mins 25 seconds.

Gonna let my friend borrow it again.

Thiddy,

Did you notice this?

Bad pad.jpg

Looks like the pad is peeling off the board, but I may just be seeing it wrong.

I've had traces partially peel off a PCB before, and they still conducted, so all might not be lost even if it is what it looks like.

Are you going to build some kind of jig so it stays in position? Otherwise I think it will be impossible to set it accurately, and once the solder starts to flow it may slide a bit to 1 side w/o something keeping it in place.

Last edited:
I am no expert on this sorta thing but could you put silcon to keep it in place? Or would it melt?

Pure silicon would be fine, but hard to work with. I think a silicon gel would either be too soft, melt or be incredibly difficult to remove. I need something that won't stick to the PCB and hold the core in place.

Do you have access to any kind of metal shop? I'd try to use the 6 inner holes or the 8 outer holes around the 'socket' to make a square jig that will only allow the GPU to toward and away from the board; no up/down or left/right motion.

Use 4 metal pins that fit in those holes, and some angle iron or square tube on top for the jig part.

Jig.jpg

Hmmm...after sketching it up maybe just using those 4 holes would be easier.

No, but I got a friend that just got a floor standing drill press with an x/y board. ;D

Should be pretty easy with that small of an area. Thank you for the very good idea.

8600gt baked at 200C/7m30s successfully :)) I baked 8500gts on same plate with 8600 but haven't bothered to check if it is working (maybe later). Last thing I baked is mobo of damn laptop ASUS A6T. Today I'll check this out if it's working... Baking rulezzz :))

edit: asus a6t mobooooo..... works! :)

Last edited:
thiddy, did you ever get to playing with the gtx260?

for a jig of sorts to make sure the gpu doesnt move around, see if you can get a bracket from a gtx280, there are metal rings that go round the gtx280 core's (very similar to that of the ones that went around the big ole G80 chips) so the pcb doesnt bend.

and +1 gixxer!

No, but I'm working out a design with someone that I know.

Thats gonna be so sweet man! If you accomplish that I really think you should do some business on the side!

As to the OP though I sold my 9800gt that I baked twice, (warned buyer of course) but have had no complaints! Guess I baked 'er right the last time!! :beer:

i've always just took a soldering iron with a small titanium tip and just reheated the memory DIP chips, but next time i need to fix anything ill give this a try, cant hurt to try it, hell ill even remove the plastic casing and just put the PCB in there

i've always just took a soldering iron with a small titanium tip and just reheated the memory DIP chips, but next time i need to fix anything ill give this a try, cant hurt to try it, hell ill even remove the plastic casing and just put the PCB in there

... ya never leave on the heatsink or plastic shroud.... ull melt the shroud

I just resurrected my old 7950GX2. It was retired 2 years ago after it stopped booting Windows as a result of severe overheating while gaming. I dismantled it and gave it 8 minutes at 385 and now it works perfectly!!

Thanks very much for this info!

Back