• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED THE OVEN TRICK - WORKED

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Worked for me! I have the 280 GTX XFX and it started acting up(pink corrupted video on startup) It worked fine in ubuntu for a week or so then I got the pink screen while just browsing the web in ubuntu. so I popped my GTX 280 in the oven and out it came good as new!!!! Thanks!

alienware 766 with 9700 pro still going strong after baking 2 years ago, but I've been a little more cautious, not using it for hardcore gaming anymore for a start as it's so ancient.

Hell, I even tried it on an OSD buttons board for my old 19" screen that was playing up, like randomly bringing the osd up, generally being annoying during games. and it actually worked.

Last edited:
4870x2 fixed.

I had a 4870x2 that came with a system i bought. It had a aftermarket HS on it. Well about a week in i saw artifacts then it died. Could not get it to work. I tried throwing it in the oven for 9 minutes on 390 degrees. Pulled it out, let it cool put it back together and it worked fine again. Awesome. Already replaced it with a GTX 460. Maybe ill just sell it or something. Letting them know it was broken at one time first of course.

might as well used the pop-corn trick..
:temper:

have an hp dv9000 laptop from the daughter we bought her a couple years ago, we were never informed of the recall and the pos nvidia video bad video chipset took a dump leaving it unable to use video drivers, and must use only the standard vga..

I took out the motherboard, took out out the heatgun and heated the video chip up , but the 'trick' failed.. btw, I have had many years experience in eletronic maufacturing and knew how to reflow solder, but this chip did not reseat.... I used a new heatgun rated at like 600 degree F. I put a coin with solder over it, and placed it over the chip like in the youtube.com video to watch the solder melt as the chip heated to proper temp.. I also heated the back a while and then back to the front to make sure both side got heat..

didn't work, still has corruption and unable to load with the video drivers, must leave the drivers from nvidia uninstalled...

Daughter now has a MacBook for school... HP has lost me as a consumer,, and even though I have HP camera,s computers, and printers, this will conclude all business with them,,we got boned good..

:comp:

alienware 766 with 9700 pro still going strong after baking 2 years ago, but I've been a little more cautious, not using it for hardcore gaming anymore for a start as it's so ancient.

Hell, I even tried it on an OSD buttons board for my old 19" screen that was playing up, like randomly bringing the osd up, generally being annoying during games. and it actually worked.

I had a 4870x2 that came with a system i bought. It had a aftermarket HS on it. Well about a week in i saw artifacts then it died. Could not get it to work. I tried throwing it in the oven for 9 minutes on 390 degrees. Pulled it out, let it cool put it back together and it worked fine again. Awesome. Already replaced it with a GTX 460. Maybe ill just sell it or something. Letting them know it was broken at one time first of course.

Setup some Folding@Home machines to put them to good use ...

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21

Cooking an Lanparty DK 790FXB-M2RSH currently - 9 minutes at 390F.

The top 2 PCIe slots are nonfunctional, hoping they come back to life once the baking is done.

By the way, the board is covered in vaseline to insulate for LN2... A quick google tells me vaseline has a flash point of 400F. Let's hope for no fire!

Cooking is done, and I'm letting it cool now.

It melted the onboard power and reset switches, and I took it out immediately at the 9 minute mark. Everything else looks ok, and I can live without the power reset switches if the PCIe slots just work again.

Will report back later if the board works at all, and if the PCIe slots are fixed.

It powers on, but gives a bad post code and outputs no video. Will be messing with it a bit more to see if I can get it to post, but I've mostly written it off at this point.

Does anyone think that i can bake a Sigma SMP 8635 LF that is in a dvr type device? It looks like it keeps shutting off due to overheating. If i cool it extra it stays on a little longer.

Worked on my 8800 GT only thing is I cant remember what my temps were at gaming.Its getting pretty high when I max the settings just on call of duty 2 it hit 100 c.I ended up putting new thermal paste on turned graphics back down some now it hits mid 70s while playing oh well it does work now though ;)

Electrical components also have many things you don't want to ingest, like lead, tin, etc. Make sure you don't let anything stay in the oven.

That's come up before, and some people have said the temperature isn't high enough to bake out the nasty stuff. I don't know if there is anything released at dangerous concentrations.

That's come up before, and some people have said the temperature isn't high enough to bake out the nasty stuff. I don't know if there is anything released at dangerous concentrations.
Kinda depends on what solder you're using... it is an amalgomation of many different metals w/ different melting points. I'm not sure what the range of melting temperatures for different metals would be for solder. Maybe something to look up if I get bored...

No lead in vaguely modern GPUs, RoHS got rid of that. Tin is biologically inert for the most part, no issue there.

The flux may be dubious, but if it is boiling off the GPU it isn't exactly going to stick around in the oven that is hotter than the GPU.

Well I can say w/ 100% authority that cooking a 6800gt for 18 minutes @ 410 degrees F is way to long and hot :thup: (my first cook attempt a few months ago) Before I knew it I had capacitors poping in the oven and resistors and such falling off into the bottom of my baking pan. It smelled awful and my wife unit about killed me. This time I took the cautious road cooked @ 382F for 5 1/2 minutes preheated and have much better results been running some benches since last night and no problems what so ever.

I knew RoHS got rid of lead, I wasn't aware that it got rid of other harmful metals. That's good though.

As an annoying side note, it also makes soldering by hand much more of a pain.

Back