• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED THE OVEN TRICK - WORKED

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OMG i did it again!!!!! i baked my Xbox 360
it had the 3 RROD and baked it for 385F for 6 min and magic!!!

(i also baked my 8800GTX about 1-2 months ago)

I have an NVIDIA 550ti. Could I use the oven trick to fix it aswell? I also think the 550ti has a different temp so be soldered so does anyone know what temp i should use? It maxes out overclocking at 175 degrees F

The max temperature is not something we care about here when we oven trick a card.

That temperature is only max when there's electricity there.

For melting the solder balls, you need to use the temperature out there in the first post.

I have an NVIDIA 550ti. Could I use the oven trick to fix it aswell? I also think the 550ti has a different temp so be soldered so does anyone know what temp i should use? It maxes out overclocking at 175 degrees F

If the card is under warranty then explore RMA options first.

It isn't under warranty anymore (missed it by a month :( )I also have another graphics card. Just wanting to try this. So the same temp. would work? (380F)? I asked my friend and he said it would just melt at that high temp so just wondering.

Chalk up another resurrection.

Just revived a DFI LanParty nF4 SLI-DR motherboard that refused to POST or output video previously.

That makes my score: motherboards-1, me-5

@ antipesto 93

Thank you so much!

I managed to revive a dead Ati AIW 1900 with your method. Not a very modern or expensive card, but very useful device because of its capabilties.

Take care and stay well

Just took two more motherboards under my heat gun.

One of them is actually a re-bake. Baked it a while back, but it stopped POST'ing again. Hope it stays working this time.

Haven't tested them yet.

Just took two more motherboards under my heat gun.

One of them is actually a re-bake. Baked it a while back, but it stopped POST'ing again. Hope it stays working this time.

Haven't tested them yet.
It fixed one of them, the re-baked board. She came right up this time.

The other remains unfixed.

Hello guys i'm new here and wanted to say i've got a 9600gt its a bit old but one day couple of months ago i turned on my computer booted normally when two thick black lines across the side of the monitor showed up like its in 4:3 mode, the fan went all the way up and the system wont even recognize the gpu but the picture was fine so i left it like that and today i remebered someone trying to bake his gpu and here i was searching for how to do it. I followed the instructions but i forgot i need to reaply thermal paste and one of the electrolytes died during baking so tommorow going to buy some thermal paste reapply it, change the electrolyte, screw the fan back on and we will see... theres my experience so far sorry for bad english fast typing... :)

Just had an 8800GT that was artifacting all over the screen, wouldnt even load windows. Baked it at 380deg for 8 minutes, let it cool for about 20 min and reassembled it. Popped it in a system, ran some 3dMark to stress it, so far so good. No artifacts, running great. We will see how long it lasts. It is a backup rig so it wont see much use, but for a free fix at least it will work for now.

I just did this on a "fried" 8700m GT out of a friend's old Dell XPS m1730. It worked perfectly, and this PC is up and running again. :D

Adding another success story to this thread. Baked a "dead" gtx260 65nm core 192 I got off ebay. The card was giving an error 43 in device manager.
Baked 9 minutes at 390*F, works perfectly now.

Haven't baked anything lately, but my brother in law was just about to throw out a toaster oven... I said nuh-uh, and got it by my workbench for next time. :)

Be aware that toaster ovens require active control to function as reflow ovens. Tossing a card in as-as with the temp set to 390f will melt things. The oven doesn't have much (if anything) in the way of active feedback, and a tremendous amount of heat is radiated from the heat bars, the objects in the oven get far hotter far faster than they would in a conventional oven.

Back