• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The phase-change help thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
primuslesler said:
hey can you use freon as the refrigerant?

I think freon was a Branded refrigerant mix made by DuPont. If you could find some, you could use it, but you need a licence or certification to buy it in most places.

People with no refrigeration knowledge generally use the term "freon" for the refrigerant in any AC system, when they are almost exclusivly filled with either R22 or R134a now.

There are a lot of gases you could use in a single stage unit, but you need a licence or certification to buy most of them. R290 is quite similar to R22, and will work well enough that most DIY'ers use it.

lowfat said:
How can one tell the difference between a good compressor and a not so good compressor?

Turn it on. If it seems to run well, throw a manifold gauge on the low side and see how much vacume it can pull. Is should pull down to -29" HG pretty quickly if it is still good.

When selecting compressors from a bin at the recycling yard, I tend to go for the ones that look to be in the best shape, and still have all their run components (start cap etc.). Some of them run, some don't.

matttheniceguy said:
Turn it on. If it seems to run well, throw a manifold gauge on the low side and see how much vacume it can pull. Is should pull down to -29" HG pretty quickly if it is still good.

When selecting compressors from a bin at the recycling yard, I tend to go for the ones that look to be in the best shape, and still have all their run components (start cap etc.). Some of them run, some don't.

yes. but how are their specs/size to look @ or anything? Or would almost any compressor do the job?

Most people like to use a compressor somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 HP. Unfotrunatly the HP isn't usually given on the compressor, nor is anything else very usefull. All you can really do is throw the model number into google and hope you come up lucky.

Well you can definitly salvage the condensors and fan.. And depending on whether or not sound is an issue, the compressors will work great, but they are loud.. I suggest using one of the rotary compressors for an evac pump if you do not already have one.

Are using any of these refrigerant gases to make your own Phase Change...illegal to use w/ out a lisence/permit?

There are a few refegerants that you dont need a licence to use.... propane seems to be a popular one..
Ive also heard tell that you can test for your 608 level one certification online (with a dry read and its open book) but I'm clueless on what refegerants that would alow you to use (there is more then one level of certification the other 2 I think are proctored and closed book, again this is from reading threads) Im kinda currious as to the details on this as well. :)

as far as condensation is conserned insilation is used to keep it from forming in the first place.. some use heaters in the direct dies to heat them up to ambiant after shutdown (so they can fire it right back up I think) but maybe someone else can shed a little more light on that subject..

ok.. As far as phase change helps goes... I see you were or are building a 2 stage cascade... Im wondering if this thread also pretains to questions regarding the building of a single phase change direct die system and liquid chilling rigs (I would asume cascades of any size would be overkill for a liquid chilling setup).. TIA

btw.. Rysjimmy1994... from what Ive read pelts seem to not help after about -40C and a good single stage direct die or a big liquid chiller seem to do that all on there own so having the pelt on it would likely just get in the way (from my understanding of it) every user Ive seen that says you can run them 24/7 says that you can only do it with HEAPS of insulation / dilectric grease the works.. maybe you should look around for more info. on the subjet? seems Ive found heps. on the web so far...

greenmaji said:
btw.. Rysjimmy1994... from what Ive read pelts seem to not help after about -40C and a good single stage direct die or a big liquid chiller seem to do that all on there own so having the pelt on it would likely just get in the way (from my understanding of it) every user Ive seen that says you can run them 24/7 says that you can only do it with HEAPS of insulation / dilectric grease the works.. maybe you should look around for more info. on the subjet? seems Ive found heps. on the web so far...

Thanks

so about this refrigerent thing..... um lets say you have an old fridge, should i have a pro vent the stuff? cause i kinda feel bad for dumping nasty stuff into the air like that. 2 waht kind of refrignets can i use with out a perment, other then propane. cause i really dont feel like blowing my self up any time soon. im looking for a -20to-anything c so it doesnt have to super cool anything. so um yeah and also what this about a capillery tube? itd be nice if the rest of the guide was done, wouldnt have to ask so many questions :p
3vil

greenmaji said:
There are a few refegerants that you dont need a licence to use.... propane seems to be a popular one

propane aka R290
and R134A

are the ones i know that you can buy without a licence.

however, building/repairing/modifying/regassing a phase change unit without a licence is completly against the law apparently.

so most of you DiY phasechangers are serious criminals!!!
LMAO... yet another quirk of our ever consistant justice system

Last edited:
Time4aMassiveOC said:
so most of you you DiY phasechangers are serious criminals!!!

I'm sure most of us have done worse, thats why we spend our time with computers instead of the "other" things we could be doing :)

Back