• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The quest for a QX9650 - rdrash & MIAHALLEN in Akihabara *56K warning*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Awesome thread. Awesome processor.

Hahaha how the hell do I end up with garbage all the time? Can't get mine to do more than 4.1, no matter how much juice I give her...

What do your settings look like?

Good to see you're at 470FSB already! Have you tested for higher yet? You've got a great chip there man.

Inkfx: I am glad you prompted me to go for higher FSB. I may have a few more settings to try...but its not cake like everything else has been. Proving to be difficult to get above 470FSB....I will keep trying, but didn't want to keep you waiting. Much more investigating to do....:beer:

Awesome thread. Awesome processor.

Hahaha how the hell do I end up with garbage all the time? Can't get mine to do more than 4.1, no matter how much juice I give her...

What do your settings look like?

Perhaps its your motherboard, or a setting in the bios? 1.1ghz OC also isn't nothing, but still may seem that way compared to other results. :/

Inkfx: I am glad you prompted me to go for higher FSB. I may have a few more settings to try...but its not cake like everything else has been. Proving to be difficult to get above 470FSB....I will keep trying, but didn't want to keep you waiting. Much more investigating to do....:beer:
Can't wait to see your results. Sub-zero is going to be a LOT of fun with this chip. :santa:

At 4400MHz with 1.35v I see 63c~67c after running prime for 1hour. I haven't had the luxury of trying for longer yet. Still playin with settings and all that trying to find a true sweet spot and get OCForums (and ofcourse myself) points in hwbot.

I haven't tried prime above 4400MHz either. I did notice that when I set 1.5 in BIOS for the 4700MHz shot..I had temps reported in BIOS at 73c immediately after rebooting to change my settings to something a bit more reasonable.

Man, what is the deal with my setup...

I have CPUz reported 1.37 vCore and I fail Prime (small FFT) in less than a minute at only 4.0GHz!!

This is driving me crazy! :confused::bang head

why frustrate yourself with priming unless you want to fold or you are using a demanding game that relies heavily on the cpu.

If he is not 1 minute prime stable he is not stable. Why not up your voltage 1.45v should not be a problem

After vigorously working his keyboard, he picked up a digital calculator, typed in some numbers and turned it to show me the display - 12,490 yen, about $45 off the asking price...hey, $45 is $45 :cool: - "SOLD!" rdrash didn't waste any time taking advantage of the best price in town.

You got a QX9650 for ~$113?????

What is your multi and fsb at?

400x10

This is why I am so frustrated. This is the easy OC that everyone seems to get, yet I am struggling at pushing more vCore than most people are using for hundreds of MHz higher OC and still Prime failing in under a minute.

I am concerned about the Beta BIOS though. The only comparison I have is against Deanzo who is using the same board. Basically I see extreme vDroop. I have it set somewhere upwards of 1.5 vC in BIOS but I get 1.35 vC reported in CPUz and uGuru at idle!

I have been hesitant pushing this chip any higher with a flaky Beta BIOS. Aside from the vDroop issues it also misreports Temps. I have seen it report as low as 7c and as high as 275c in BIOS and uGuru.

There has been talk of another BIOS due to be released in a week or two to address Q9XXX issues. I just dont know if I have the patience to wait for a miracle BIOS fix or if I simply have a bunk QX9650 chip. The only other platform I have on hand is an EVGA 680i, which is incompatible.

Any suggestions?

Ace-a-Rue, you have had a lot of input on this board over on XSytems. What do you think?

400x10

This is why I am so frustrated. This is the easy OC that everyone seems to get, yet I am struggling at pushing more vCore than most people are using for hundreds of MHz higher OC and still Prime failing in under a minute.

I am concerned about the Beta BIOS though. The only comparison I have is against Deanzo who is using the same board. Basically I see extreme vDroop. I have it set somewhere upwards of 1.5 vC in BIOS but I get 1.35 vC reported in CPUz and uGuru at idle!

I have been hesitant pushing this chip any higher with a flaky Beta BIOS. Aside from the vDroop issues it also misreports Temps. I have seen it report as low as 7c and as high as 275c in BIOS and uGuru.

There has been talk of another BIOS due to be released in a week or two to address Q9XXX issues. I just dont know if I have the patience to wait for a miracle BIOS fix or if I simply have a bunk QX9650 chip. The only other platform I have on hand is an EVGA 680i, which is incompatible.

Any suggestions?

Ace-a-Rue, you have had a lot of input on this board over on XSytems. What do you think?

After all the QX results so far, 10 X 400 should work great @ that vcore.
First off, do you have any options for MCH strap? Because if you have a 400 mhz strap selected, you will have no stability at all. ZILCH. You will need to change strap setting to 333, etc. If your strap settings are correct you can try a few things here:

1. Try bumping up vcore to nominal voltage after droop of 1.37, so it would be bios selected 1.42 or whatever vdroop is on your board.

2. Try using a much higher multi to completely rule out any strap issues. Like 12 X 334 (4.00 GHz)

I would personally try running 12 X 334 @ 1.40 vcore and running some prime multicore small FFT's for a few hours.

PS- Sorry for the threadjack guys. Surfrider why dont you start your own "QX9650 on Air" thread? We can continue our discussion. ;)

PS- Sorry for the threadjack guys. Surfrider why dont you start your own "QX9650 on Air" thread? We can continue our discussion. ;)

Can do. I will wait till I am home for a few days (weds).

Sorry to the OP. The reason I posted here is because he is the first using the same cooler and chip and I wanted to get some baseline temps I should be reading with appropriate vCore / OC speed.

Congrats on your setup! It looked like a fun trip. :beer:

Yeah that is what I was thinking, I think he forgot a zero... should be 120,490.00 yen for $1,091.23? Even at that price it is a steal compared to over here for that CPU...

Yes, sorry...124,900 yen is what I should have said...at 12,490 yen, we would have bought more than one ;) :beer:

Dang, can I come visit Japan? Those computer marketplaces look like a blast :beer:

Here are a couple more for your viewing pleasure...the exchange is approx 110 yen per dollar (so knock off the last two digits and apply a 10% discount for a quick guestimate).

Lots of these types of shops in Akihabara:

IMG_1996.jpg

Gotta love this:

IMG_1993.jpg

I took this picture only because I have never seen it for the English speaking markets:

IMG_1992.jpg

About $350 for a combo READER...still a good deal, and this picture was taken a couple months ago!

IMG_1988.jpg

This one is my personal favorite:

IMG_1994.jpg

Back