• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The quest for a QX9650 - rdrash & MIAHALLEN in Akihabara *56K warning*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wow.. just... wow. VERY nice setup. Sooooo...You wanna hook up your fellow military bro and give me a free Abit X38 Quad? :D :D You're not in Okinawa, right? You're mainland Japan then?

WOW rdrash how are you buddy? way too long time no see...

jeez you've left me behind mate, that system is killer :D Those stores look amazing, in the UK we're lucky if we can find a store that even has a few basic cables out for selection, let alone high end cpu's... :p

MIAHALLEN, very entertaining read, was almost like being there!

Thanks for taking us on your little adventure. :beer:

I'm starting to see a pattern of the lower the number on the date code on the cpu, the higher it seems to clock. Maybe the later ones are being binned for 9770? Anyway, this one you have seems to be every bit as good as the early ES's we saw.

Great thread! Really good read.

Brought back some memories as well, since I spent a ton of money in that same Tsukumo back in March on the rig in my sig. I didn't get any hot women to pose with me though... :(

Since I was on holiday, I was entitled to have the Japanese VAT(5%) deducted from the total cost, which was nice.

Oh yeah, great results on those benchmarks. I don't stand a chance any more with my e6600!:D

just purchased a Retail QX9650 along with abit's IX38 QuadGT board...i will place the yorkie on both boards, Pro and IX38...we'll see how it does under air...i am being wishful for a great processor like Deanzo!:)

Wow.. just... wow. VERY nice setup. Sooooo...You wanna hook up your fellow military bro and give me a free Abit X38 Quad? :D :D You're not in Okinawa, right? You're mainland Japan then?

SuperDave...yea we are on Honshu just outside of Tokyo. Sorry man, I already gave the mobo to a CPT that works in same staff section here. I give away alot of my stuff to other military/DOD people who want to build systems...didn't realize you were in the neighborhood and in need. :beer:

:beer:
WOW rdrash how are you buddy? way too long time no see...

jeez you've left me behind mate, that system is killer :D Those stores look amazing, in the UK we're lucky if we can find a store that even has a few basic cables out for selection, let alone high end cpu's... :p

Vrykyl...I have never forgotten you old friend. You were the first guy on OCForums to reach out and help me when I was just starting here back in '03 I think. I am still using very loud fans...just not the old tornados.....if you remember back then.:beer:

Hahaha yeah I remember the tornado's matey - my ears are still ringing :D Cant believe I had 8 of them in my case at full whack either! Iv since gone something of an extreme opposite, and have followed the path of extremely quite water cooling for my q6600 rig ;)

Nice to see you're still loving technology and getting your hands on all the best kit! Keep us posted on what final maximum clocks you manage on the beauty....lol, my q6600 wont even do 3.8ghz, those qx9xxx chips are the bomb.

Anyways, have a theoretical beer on me old buddy :beer:

Best thread ever.....ty for sharing your adventure...it made me feel as if i was with you guys!!!! :beer:

What a great read guys... awesome trip, shops, gear & results to boot... just like being on holiday lol.

Wouldn't it be great to have a bit of a spreadsheet showing details for each QX9650 owned so far, and the various details of the chip to try to get a good handle on what to look for when buying one (seeing they are so expy right now).

great thread, love the story and the photos. although i should have never read this... it's tempting me to go off the deepend :sn:

i was on my way to seoul and tokyo a couple months ago, but the trip got cancelled. i was so looking forward to getting lost in akihabara while my wife went shopping for clothes :D :beer::beer:

congrats on the new stuff & thanks for sharing!

Since everyone really likes the pics of Akiba...we now grace you with more for your viewing pleasures, these were taken a few months back...but still very enjoyable.

Here is MIAHALLEN in action...coupons? .....yea right cupons.

DSC00933.jpg

MIAHALLEN likes his games more than the coupon girls...

DSC00885.jpg

oh man more games...come on already dude ...lets get some more beers!!

DSC00886.jpg

look at the toys!
DSC00880.jpg

heat spreaders..heat sinks..etc..
DSC00878.jpg

some coolers..just a few
DSC00879.jpg

fans are always cool to see..
DSC00881.jpg

not necessary for the extreme guys...but most want a case of somesort??
DSC00883.jpg

more choices for those who use em
DSC00907.jpg

We are limited to eleven images...so this will have to say it all..enjoy your mouse pad?
DSC00919.jpg

Last edited:
It's hard to tell in the last picture, but those mouse pads have gel-filled wrist rests....look again.......do you see them now? ;) :beer:

Back