• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The ugly side of crunching...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thlnk3r

caps.jpg

After about 2 weeks of this one running, it started randomly restarting, geee I wonder why hahaha :bday:

Not sure on the brand of the board but it came out of a used hp pavilion 742. It still works, just the caps need to be replaced ;)

Typical HP board, I've had to fix several of them for the same reason, the caps just can't take it when the cpu is at 100% for a long period of time. Easy fix though.

eaglescouter said:
Very interesting. Of all the rigs I run @ 100% load I have never experienced this problem.

Was only a couple models affected, can't recall them of f the top of my head, but they were from the era of the whole stolen electrolyte formula problem.

JDXNC said:
Typical HP board, I've had to fix several of them for the same reason, the caps just can't take it when the cpu is at 100% for a long period of time. Easy fix though.
Ouch. In that case, thlnk3r, you might want to consider replacing even the ones that aren't damaged, just in case.

JDXNC said:
Was only a couple models affected, can't recall them of f the top of my head, but they were from the era of the whole stolen electrolyte formula problem.

Yeah it used to happen on some of the older boards. My MSI kt133 board died because of the same problem. So I replaced it with NF7-S :thup:

Hamm3r said:
Yeah it used to happen on some of the older boards. My MSI kt133 board died because of the same problem. So I replaced it with NF7-S :thup:

I think that Epox 8RDA+ had the same issue, if I remember correctly...

The most common problematic boards I have seen have been from Abit and ECS, but many manufacturers were affected.

JDXNC said:
The most common problematic boards I have seen have been from Abit and ECS, but many manufacturers were affected.

Right on about the Abits. About 2 years ago they tried to save money and bought some cheap caps. They made good on them however and replaced quite a few boards. I've always loved Abit and they owned up to there mistake.

Dk Jedi Allianc said:
I think that Epox 8RDA+ had the same issue, if I remember correctly...

Definitely Epox had some cap problems with not only the 8RDA+ boards but also their earlier boards too like the 8KHA+ too, which I had crap out due to bad caps.

Its threads like this that do a pretty good job of explaining why I run Asus boards now.

Sorry to hear about the issue, and no... that should never happen for a CPU @ 100% unless voltage and or overclocking is involved.

Back