• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The ultimate case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Exfoliate

As usual I look through Newegg as it has the best case selectino of any store I know and probably the best looking case that also had soem nice features turned out to be the Thermaltake SOPRANO: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811133145
Does anyone have this case? If so what do you think, gripes, praise, it's all fine on me.
Now on Newegg that's the best I've seen in my price range <$100 but I'm sure there are better ones. Any suggestion? I'm listening. Thanks.

It's steel. That means I would never buy it, but that's just me. Other than that, it seems like a pretty decent case. I like the look of the Tsunami a lot better than the Soprano though.

Look at the Lian-Li cases, theres a few there that are about $100 that are really good cases.

I was once a anti-steel guy, that is until I got my first steel case. Once you experience the strength that is steel you will never go back to a flimsy resonating aluminum case ever again. The exception is if you have to move the case often...then the weight savings is nice.

Anyways, the Tsunami is an exact copy internally of the Antec 3000b but made out of aluminum instead of steel. The Soprano looks like crap, and those fan grills are uber restrictive. But that is my oppinion and I am sure some like the case a ton.

m3x1c4nj3w said:
The original aluminum one (Tsunami) was pretty bad. My friend has it and it's hella flimsy.

That would be me... My sister has broken it SO many times. Very flimsy and the window kept vibrating after I got it. I would recommend a lian-li.... Coolermasters are good too and the Stacker looks pretty nice.

-1cem4n

Really depends on what is important to you. What kind of features are you interested in? 120mm fans? Slide out motherboard tray? Slide out drive trays?

For looks and build quality in an aluminum case Lian Li is very nice indeed. For such light cases they are very sturdy. Still there are plenty of very nice steel cases out there.

120mm fans are important to me as they literally blow 80mm fans away, and I've found quiet ones with good airflow ratings. A slide out motherboard tray would be cool but I don't really need that sort of thing, those screwless drive trays with the plastic rails with locks are cool, got them on my Nemesis case, cheesy but they work. Im not a real man of those case doors as my optical drive usually opens and hits the door and shuts on itself. But I can make exceptions for cool cases. I'll check out those Lian Li but I don't remember them being the greatest looking boxes on the block. Thanks all.

Ugh, those Lian Li cases are uber boring IMO, sorry if that offends anyone but I want my case to be a little origional looking, though not obnoxious like some of the new ones. Too bad you can buy cases that Voodoo PC makes, those things are so sweet. I checked out the Stacker but it's really expensive:(
I find something about this cool but I realize it's an aquired taste. If it had front USB/Audio ports unstead of on the side I'd probably want it more.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811213006
ATADC BLIZZARD-SV

Exfoliate said:
Ugh, those Lian Li cases are uber boring IMO, sorry if that offends anyone but I want my case to be a little origional looking, though not obnoxious like some of the new ones.

I tottaly agree. Thats why im making a custom case.

I think thats the purpose of Lian Li cases. Sharp, professional looking. Not some case with 5000 lights to amuse a 5 year old. But, that ATADC doesn't look too bad, however, I'm not familiar with them.

I checked out Xoxide and found two more I liked:
http://www.xoxide.com/thermaltake-eclipse-case-silver.html
http://www.xoxide.com/sunbeam-transformer-case-black.html
So I extended my budget a bit for the thermaltake just because it's very unique and seems to have great built quality and features. The Transformer is a little 13year old flashy extreme type stuff but I think it's pretty cool and seems to be of good quality.
Anyone have any experience with the 480wt SI Thermaltake Butterfly? It's a built to order option that I might concider if it's any good. Either that or the Enermax 420wt Noisetaker as I know the X-Connects are cheesy.

that ATADC is awesome looking. I'd get it for my next build, but I really wanted soemthing with a split internal design like the P180.

You know a lian-li may seem "UB3R Boring" but after a while, a non-gimmicky case maybe all that you want. As for the PSU, many agree that the fortron AX-500A Blue Storm is the best bang for the buck program.

fldrice said:
You know a lian-li may seem "UB3R Boring" but after a while, a non-gimmicky case maybe all that you want. As for the PSU, many agree that the fortron AX-500A Blue Storm is the best bang for the buck program.

Lian-Li cases are a lot easier to mod than a case with a "neeto burrito" front and side door, there the best for water-cooling and they can be modded to fit as many fans as you could possibly want. You can fit RADs on top above PSU or just cut out the top for a BIXIII; plenty of room on bottom. Come one people, this is the "OverClockers Forums" not the "Pretty, Gay rainbow case forums".(no offense)

I myself find if you want original. Don't buy a premade case. If you want some looks and functionality, get a highly optimized case, then make the look your own. If you want looks, what are you willing to do to get the performance out of it. You go back to the second option anyways, since you are stuck cutting or modding.

I save the money on looks and go for performance, then take back the 'boring' look by changing it to suite my needs and the look I want. I have yet to see a case that suited my needs. If you can find one case to cover all your needs in one spot, get that case. You are going to be the one using it. Think about future upgrade paths in a case purchase, or if you will outgrow what you intend to get now.

My case has room for water, which I am currently saving for. It has plenty of air movement. It has some features that make future upgrade possible, and I won't worry if a certain part will fit. One feature I never thought was groovy until I had it was Removable tray. Man that is sliced bread to me. If i have to get into the case I just pull the unit out, and I do my thing. Less stress and time. It iseems for someone who is into real fast computers and tinkers alot, this would be a feature they look for.
No matter how ugly or pretty a case is, it will not make your machine any faster.

Take my opinion for what it is worth.

Exfoliate said:
As usual I look through Newegg as it has the best case selectino of any store I know and probably the best looking case that also had soem nice features turned out to be the Thermaltake SOPRANO: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811133145
Does anyone have this case? If so what do you think, gripes, praise, it's all fine on me.
Now on Newegg that's the best I've seen in my price range <$100 but I'm sure there are better ones. Any suggestion? I'm listening. Thanks.

i happen to have that case, real nice one, front/back 120mm, and side 92mm. good case top USB is a little wack but it's ok. I paid 70 for it, i picked it up @ a local store so no shipping money for me, though it was an ok price for the case.

Back