• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Theoretical question: XP-90 and 2500k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ivanlabrie

Hey folks! I was wondering, given the 4 heatpipes on the Thermalright XP-90, why wouldn't it cool properly say, an I5 2500k with a decent Delta tri-blade fan? Perhaps the fins don't have enough surface area to cool the pipes properly?
Just wondering...

Oh, and would you say a CM Hyper 212+ would be enough to keep that proc cool @ 4.7ghz?

In case it isn't, what would you reccomend that isn't too expensive?
(i've seen the CM v6 -non gt- for a little more than the 212+)

Thanks for your input! :D

XP90 would work fine, it's not likely to beat the 212+, but it'll beat the stock cooler easily.

The CoolerMaster Hyper212+ varies where it'll top the chip's overclock out at. It depends on factors like how much vCore your chip needs to get to 4.7GHz, etc. Every SB chip is different. Most people grab that cooler with a Sandybridge setup and are getting 4.5GHz I would say, some more, some less. Depends on the chip as I said before.

I personally have the VenomousX cooler by Thermalright for my SB setup and I love it. It's a bit more expensive, but you get what you pay for.

But, as Ed said above, either of them are going to beat the stock HSF by miles.

The biggest problem to using an old XP90 on a 2600k is getting it mounted. AFAIK, Thermalright only made a 775 adapter kit that let you mount XP90/XP120 heatsinks on newer boards. So you would have to update a 775 mount kit to fit your 1155 socket.

I like the idea of saving some bucks and using my good ole' XP-90 with some blower a la Hoot-chute :D

I can make some custom plexi mounts easily i think...backplate and a plate that fits the base of the cooler going through it, with 4 holes each to bolt them together with nylon screws and springs for better tension.

If that doesn't work and i manage to sell the XP-90 i'll buy a 212+ or cv v6 and a second fan for them and voilá.

The 1155 friendly thermalright coolers are quite expensive here. The cheapest one is the mux-120 or the venomous-x rt for a little extra. Hr-02, Silver Arrow and other Venomous-x models are considerably more expensive -in a similar price range as the Corsair H60...is that better or what? better noise/performance ratio? or perhaps better for case airflow?-

The H80 is the only one that is better than top air cooling. We's waiting for Mudds final reiew, but hints are it's pretty good. Wouldn't bother with any less in the pre-made teeny watercooling arena.

It will do, but your cost?

Yep, thought so...It's the same money as an Archon (the h60: u$s129).
The h80 is like 180u$s xD

I found something nice btw: CNPS10x performa for u$s70!
(CM hyper 212+ is u$s52 here, V6GT u$s108, Venomous x rt u$s108, CNPS5x u$s58...to name a few)

According to benchmark reviews it's a pretty good cooler -the Zalman one-
Seems fair...what do you guys say?

ivanlabrie, you also might keep an eye out for the HR-02 Macho, which is a new, cheaper version of the HR-02 which doesn't have nickel plated heatpipes and has a different mount, but comes with a TY140 fan. They are supposed to retail for around $40-45 here in the US, which is cheaper than the MUX120. I have 1 waiting to to be reviewed, but haven't had a chance to test it yet. HardOCP did review it recently and performance on it was real good, especially in the bang/buck department.

HR-02 Macho :D that sounds cool in a Pancho Villa sort of way LMFAO :D :D :D
I haven't seen that one, but i'll keep my eyes open. If it's similar in price to the Zalman i'd take it over the Zalman anytime (i don't like that brand...not my cup of tea normally)

I checked with the local thermalright distributor...waiting for them to sell the Hr-02 Macho here. They only got the regular HR-02 (which looks sexy but costs u$s135! more than a Venomous X RT)
Hopefully they'll sell the macho version cheaper -according to the original u$s49 price tag)
Cross fingers! Can't wait to get this SB rig together... :D i'm drooling already xD
Got a new job now...i'm already saving though, so i'll be up and running in no time! (no time = a month or two :temper: )

Update...No hr-02 macho yet :(
Though i've found some cheap-*** DeepCool heatsinks!
What do you guys think of them?

-Gamer Storm u$s 93
-Ice Matrix 600 u$s 87
-Ice Warrior u$s 84
-Ice Blade Pro u$s 76
-Ice Matrix 400 u$s 69

They seem to be interesting...and cheap ( Hyper 212+ is u$s 49, v6GT u$s 108, to name a few)
Is any of these better than the 212+ or similar to an HR-02 Macho at least?

Oh! and also there's some guy selling a Corsair Nautilus 500 for u$s85...seemed interesting coupled with a decent 120mm fan...and some custom brackets :D

Btw, the other coolers that have a decent price are these ones atm:

cnps10x performa u$s70, CM V6 (non gt) u$s76.
(And, a bit more than i'd like to spend: Venomous-x RT u$s112 , Mux 120 black u$s108, True rev c u$s95, TT Frio u$s90)

-Local Thermalright/Zalman distributor has announced they'll start selling the Macho soon. So i'll decide between hr-02 Macho and Cnps10x Performa. I'll just get the cheaper one out of those two coolers...I've been checking tons of reviews and the performa seems to be top notch, and the macho is really good and silent too also. So it's down to those two.
Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Back