• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Theory / Science behind temp per radiator?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Bobby is saying the Res2 just isn't even worth keeping once you replace the pump and add another rad. It's great marketing, real world usage with todays chips and the corrosion issue....

Back to the reserator hate...

I like the reserorator, I always back the underdog ;)

What system were you cooling Bobby?

Evilsizer, that would still be louder, I am talking about running 2 S-Flex's at 660rpm, that is quiet to me, not 4 at 1000rpm!

Andrew, I hear you, but I am sticking with a slightly modded reserator loop until I "need" to upgrade.

Please remember, this is mainly a work pc with a little bit of gaming (probably 8 hours a week, if that) and I don't plan to overclock as it's fast enough for my daily usage (Outlook, Word, Expression, FireFox, iTunes)

Keeping the Reserator look was the reason behind using a clear plastic sheet to cover it (similar to clear Mylar, not like one you would use for painting ;)). The only odd-looking thing might the fan shroud/mount needed at the top, which is more a matter of how much time and money you want to put into it than anything else. With the Reserator wrapped in clear plastic you'd probably only need one fan to do the trick instead of the two you're using - and it seems to me like it would look better than two loose fans sitting on the desk. :shrug:

But if you don't want to do that, well, it's not like you're the first (nor even the first in this thread) to choose bling over performance. ;)

PS
I like the Reserator look and seriously considered it when I first started thinking about water cooling (almost four years ago) but the numbers just couldn't compare to what a rad or, better yet, a heater core could do so I was forced to drop the idea ...

Last edited:
Rad Fitted:
IMG_0099.jpg

OCCT Linpack Results with new radiator and two GTs @ 900rpm (not totally silent so will run again at a lower rpm):
2010-04-27-13h31-CPU1.png

Max Temp : 53c

:)

Swapped out the Gentle Typhoons for S-Flexs as they GTs had an annoying ticking noise. Set the SFlexs to run between 50% to 65% with speedfan, with desrired temp at 50c to leave the speed increase as late as possible. They now run practically silent. The rear fan is also an S-Flex, set to run at 60% to 70% dependent on the northbridge temp with a desired temp of 60c.

Ran Prime95 Small FFT Test for 3 hours, temps seemed to have plateaued easily after an hour at 56/57c:
HWMonitorXSPCRX240andSFlexFans3Hour.png

Sorted :)

So overall, not bad for a £210 system that runs silent and keeps a 965 C2 and a 4870 within safe temps.

I have a little headroom for overclocking if I increase fan speeds, but that will get away from the idea of being silent.

Haven't needed to increase speeds to get an overclock of 3.7GHz @ 1.45v with a NB of 2.4GHz @ 1.2v - and it runs better than my previous benchmarks before my SSD - all round a happy chappy!

I may replace the RAM Sinks with Zalman cooler for them that pairs with the waterblock, it's only about £12-£15, but out of stock at my usual supplier, so will get it once it is back in.

Also would adding any dye to the de-ionized water and zalman anti corrosion mixture clog anything up? Quite fancy some black dye to give it an extra stealthy look :)

Looking at something like this: http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/product.php?productid=4018&cat=1228&page=1

Although I guess I will have to drain the system and just use this and de-ionized water and leave out the zalman stuff.

My personal choice is to avoid additives at all costs and your case is double that because you're running mixed metals, which is already dangerous. I'd stick with what Zalman recommends.

As for a separate dye, nobody likes those around here. There have way too many threads showing very nasty things as a result of dye in the water ...

AMD advised that 1.3-1.35v is best for stock speed 965 C2.

I have changed this in the BIOS to 1.35v and have had 12 hour stable in Prime95 Small FFT test. I also ran a Blend test, but stopped this after 3 hours no problems, will re-run this again at some point.

I have also added 2 more S-Flex fans in the roof of the case running at 630rpm as exhaust fans to keep the other components cool as they were getting a little toasty.

System is still pretty much silent and max temps with the prime tests were:
135v3Sflex.png

Cool n Quiet n Powerfull :)

Now should I swap the 4870 for a 5770/5830 and the 965 for an X6...?

Back