• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Thermal compound, is high grade stuff worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pqwoerituytruei

I looked up some info on what paste was better than others, Noctua NT-H1 was in the top 4 of a chart
Currently I am using the stock paste that came with my Hyper 212 EVO
how much of a difference would it make, or is the TIM topic just being nit-picky
I really have no idea how good the CM stock paste is
I know a lot of people like Arctic Silver 5, but that 200 hr set in period...

Last edited:
Seriously that would be 5 to 15 under full prime load?
I know I am only at almost 60C at 4.2GHz with my fan controller maxing out (or close to) 3 of my fans, with that kind of difference I may be able to find 4.3GHz maybe 4.4GHz (if it is 15C difference)

i doubt it would lower my idle speed under my 3.7GHz OC since those temps are near 30C

I wiuld say 5 to 15 degs

From Ketchup or toothpaste yes 15C. Any decent paste? Under 5C. Your EVO paste? 2C from it to the extreme stuff where you need the CPU to go to temp Shutdown for it to melt. Indigo Xtreme. $30 two applications. And 2-3C better than the best normal paste.

212 basic past is just fine.

15C? Toothpaste vs MX-4 after 2 weeks maybe..............

As you can see from the chart you linked to, the difference from best to worst is about 4 degrees Celsius. What's not in the charts and that you have to take into consideration is application and removal, as some stuff is just not fun to work with.

I've been using Ceramique 2 for years now, it's a good bang for the buck.

Indigo Xtreme. $30 two applications. And 2-3C better than the best normal paste.
Looked at that, due to heat pipe design it is listed as incompatible
given a 212 EVO is less in-compatible than a 212 plus, there is still a small space between the pipes

MX-4 if you must get better paste for that last 2C maybe in temps, that is pretty much within mounting errors/variations. Your paste is fine.

How you apply paste on the heatpipes is important.

Thanks, i was very meticulous with installing my cooler with the paste, a max of 2C is not worth the trouble

@NiHaoMike
rather up the fans RPMs, only runs up to 60% on the current fan policy set at the board

Change the settings to let it use full power if it needs to. The stock fan is quite weak to begin with.

Back