• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermal paste application,whats the best method ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CoSmA

Registered
Hi everyone so as the title of this thread says i was wondering about the best mode of spreading the thermal paste on my cpu (fx 8120)
I heard several ,,,computer experts,,, sying that it differes from cpu to cpu so i was wondering what method did you guys used on this specific cpu :D
I have a custon cpu cooler <thermalright true spirit 140 + another 150 fan> and the thermal apste is the artic silver 5

Thanks guys:salute:

It depends more on the base type of the cooler than it does on which CPU you are using, IMO. If the cooler has a flat plate bottom, use the pea-sized blob in the center of the CPU. Don't try to spread it. Just clamp it down and let the clamping pressure spread the paste. This approach helps prevent the introduction of tiny air bubbles into the paste. If the cooler has exposed heat pipes on the base apply the paste in two parallel lines across the heat pipes at a right angle such that the area is dissected into three roughly equal sections. This prevents the ridges and valleys of the cooler base from becoming a barrier to the paste spreading.

i already did the pea bob method and i asked because im not pleased with my temp i mean im running at stock and still i cant run prime 95 for 10 minute withot reaching 60 degres celsius which is the point where my mobo underclocks the cpu i know that i can disable that but i expected better performance with a cooler so big that i cant even close my Case

It depends more on the base type of the cooler than it does on which CPU you are using, IMO. If the cooler has a flat plate bottom, use the pea-sized blob in the center of the CPU. Don't try to spread it. Just clamp it down and let the clamping pressure spread the paste. This approach helps prevent the introduction of tiny air bubbles into the paste. If the cooler has exposed heat pipes on the base apply the paste in two parallel lines across the heat pipes at a right angle such that the area is dissected into three roughly equal sections. This prevents the ridges and valleys of the cooler base from becoming a barrier to the paste spreading.

Is this the same Trent that I play SWTOR with?

i already did the pea bob method and i asked because im not pleased with my temp i mean im running at stock and still i cant run prime 95 for 10 minute withot reaching 60 degres celsius which is the point where my mobo underclocks the cpu i know that i can disable that but i expected better performance with a cooler so big that i cant even close my Case

What cooler are you using?

For my Xigmatek Loki, I first filled the gaps in the heatsink (it has exposed heatpipes) by scraping the compound into the gaps with a cleaned edge of a credit card. Then applied a dot, probably half a pea, onto my processor and tightened down the heatsink.

Is this the same Trent that I play SWTOR with?

No. Must be another one. I'm "trents" not "Trent".

What cooler are you using?

For my Xigmatek Loki, I first filled the gaps in the heatsink (it has exposed heatpipes) by scraping the compound into the gaps with a cleaned edge of a credit card. Then applied a dot, probably half a pea, onto my processor and tightened down the heatsink.

Ah okay. When we moved servers he had to change his name from "Trent" to "Trent's".
Just curious.

Anyway, back on topic.

Well the cooler is a little bended i think its not like flat and i think it would take a lot of work to make it flat
I just want to know what i can do because im sure that the cooler is good i mean the current state of my pc is awful life i idle at 40 degres celsius.

Pea sized blob in the middle still works for Thermalright's convex base (my Venomous-X is the same way). Just try again.

Back