• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

thermal throttling - anyway to switch if off?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Rio71... thank you, thank you, and thank you.

You are the only person that was able to answer the question. Not only that supply a link to the program that CAN shut it down.
Man the BS I had to encounter in this thread just to get an answer (like I don't already know the dangers).

So there IS a way to switch off thermal throttling.

I just tryed it by unplugging my fan, went upto to 80c before I repluged it back in.

Sorry I can't read german, but the program is simple to use, just untick Thermal Mon box for each logical processor.
I loaded up Throttle Watch, and there was no Throttle Graph, and it had been disabled in the options, therefore meaning thermal throttling is total switched off.

BTW. changed my sig specs, since cpu 3.8ghz / mem 475ddr / vid 580/1180 might be my highest overclock, but its no longer 24/7 due to low fan speed through out the case and thermal throttling.
-With the throttle off it will just crash, with it on then 3.8ghz is invalid.
-New sig spec settings, moving next to no air and cpu temp is 60-65 (out from throttle zone (25-30 room temp), primex2, atitool open, running other stuff. Right now its only 18c in my room, and cpu is close to idle, temp is 36c.
-Video card voltage has been dropped also, hence the speed. lol, peoples told me that my video card would last a few days to a week with 1.675v into my X800 core on air cooling. It lasted 6 months, and it still going never slowing down till I tuned it down.

Rio71 said:
hi,
Question 1:
yes, the thermalthrottling is absolutely undepening of the temp-reading on mobo.
Question 2:
you can set the thermaltrottling to off with the little tool " ctp4 ".
check or uncheck the field and it works direktly and non permanent.

Last edited:
microfire said:
Yea I just run down to the hardware store and spend a fortune on buying an expensive 120mm round drill bit, and a new drill while im at it to drill one single hole (I dont have a million dollar tool shed). Then I will have a nice humm as the fan buzzes on the thin case cover.

Ok no need to be a tit, i lent a jigsaw and cut a hole more perfect then a hole saw will to the shape of a fan.
the side panel of my case is thin but my antec 120mm fan at 5volts doesnt make a noise or vibration, and the lid of the dvd-r spindle was spare as i used all the discs so apart from the fan the mod didnt cost a penny.
My prescott sits at 34c idle silently after a very cheap mod for me.
Sorry for my ignorance next time i offer advice i shall ask which tools you have and which case you have, i tell you what i shall send you a spreadsheet and you can enter your whole specs 1st.

The Lian Li PC60 has a vent hole at the very top of the case, any fan even at 5v make a humming noise here due to the thin alloy, I even tryed to dampen it, but it didn't work.

I would think the same if not worse if on the side panel (tryed it with a cheapy case). Open fans around the front or sides tend to add some extra noise, even is 5v.

I did however make an attemp to drill enougher 80mm exhaust fan hole at the back of my case next the the single hole that was already there, just a couple of days ago. There wasnt much room, and I would of had to get it perfect, otherwise stuff up perfectly good alloy case with a off centered hole.
I wanted to make a perfectly round hole, so I was on the hunt for a 80mm circluar round drill bit. The cheapest mega hardware store in town said I need a 80mm circle bit, then another bit like thing that bolts onto the circle bit, all up $75 for those, and the circle bit holder thing was so big it wouldn't even fit the chuck of my drill. Damm joke, just to drill one hole. So I gave up on that ideal (would of ended up having to strip out my case so I could work on it anyway)

I have a Corsair COOL water cooling kit coming here maybe today or the next few days. I think this will more than handle everything. Get the heat out of the case, and get me back to the big OC. (Im a water neebie, so you peoples with your funky self made kits better not cut me any flak, im just looking of ease of install and something that does a good average job)

At the same time using 3.46ghz isnt even that bad!, so I am kind of ripping myself off, lol, oh well that the way it goes if you want to be a hardware computer geek freak.

I tell my kids one day. "Yes, I once had 3.46ghz cpu and I spent megabucks and made it all the way to 3.8ghz"
In the future, what we are all doing today with our computers, would be like overclocking your 0.9mhz Commodore64 back in the day to 1mhz.
Most peoples I know don't see the point of overclocking, most of them are toaster box buyers to.

In saying that above, I have just received the water kit. Im not sure if I should open it or just send it back and save my money instead of wasting it for a few more mhz. After all 775 are getting good now with large cache, 64bit, lower latency memory appearing, and high overclocks. Dual core is here and only a matter of months before peoples are using them in the mainstream. I will then have an old computer with a new water kit and a slow little old 3.2c, lol crazy. Then 3.46ghz would mean nothing and be easy to live with, sigh, the pair alls of overclocking :rolleyes:

Last edited:
microfire said:
Rio71... thank you, thank you, and thank you.

You are the only person that was able to answer the question. Not only that supply a link to the program that CAN shut it down.
Man the BS I had to encounter in this thread just to get an answer (like I don't already know the dangers).

Could you be any more of an a$$? :argue:

Blkout said:
Could you be any more of an a$$? :argue:

Thanks alot, thats was uncalled for. All I wanted was and answer and a fix to switch off throttling, in this thread (read the post tittle). Remember the rules state no flaming, and thats a bad one.

microfire said:
Thanks alot, thats was uncalled for. All I wanted was and answer and a fix to switch off throttling, in this thread (read the post tittle). Remember the rules state no flaming, and thats a bad one.

I know the rules and I still meant what I said, no one was rude to you and you acted like everyone was only hassling you.

Blkout said:
I know the rules and I still meant what I said, no one was rude to you and you acted like everyone was only hassling you.

Whatever, thats your view and extremely arrogant and offending.
Stay out of this thread dude, don't want hear any more replys from you.

microfire said:
It's not that everyone hates you. They just don't want to see you fry your processor.

Yo man, if you have a Northwood cpu and its reaching 70C plus, you have some serious issues and NEED thermal throttling if you expect to have a cpu for your system for much longer.

illogical06 said:
Yo man, if you have a Northwood cpu and its reaching 70C plus, you have some serious issues and NEED thermal throttling if you expect to have a cpu for your system for much longer.

Agreed, it almost sounds like you want SNDS

ummm, have alittle look up the thread, you should see a brand new water Corsair COOL system. I have just opened the box and are about to install it.
At 12v the 120mm panaflo is alittle loud for my liking, but at 7v it sounded nice, so I hope it will be enough.

btw. my chip is fine, is has not degraded and still goes just as good as the day I brought it, so all sweet for now.

microfire said:
Whatever, thats your view and extremely arrogant and offending.
Stay out of this thread dude, don't want hear any more replys from you.

It doesn't matter what you want, this isn't your board. If I want to post, I will.

See? :clap:

nstabl said:
caution: 15 year olds arguing in thread, i repeat, 15 year olds in the thread

Surely, you're not referring to me, I'm 30 years old bro. I just call them like I see them and sometimes the truth hurts.

Yes the question was answered, and yes it can be turned off by software!
Thats all I want to know.

I was becoming aware that my overclocks maybe being throttled, so hence I started this thread. My overclock was throttled and thus not really a ture speed, switching throttling off caused cpu to get to hot and crash.

I now have water cooling installed, system is rock stable, never goes over 50c in a 30c room. 120mm fan on 8v. cpu at 1.7v, drops to 1.67v under load and 3.8ghz stable.

Can even run memtest at 4ghz, but throw load of errors in test 4, which means your cpu is out of range.

Even then if my cpu was capable of 4ghz, my BH-5 would need to do 250mhz, stepping it down 5:4 unless I volt modded for more than 3.25v.
So at this stage I feel 3.8ghz at 1:1 and 2225 PAT enabled 237.5mhz is just as good.

Actually some of the P4 steppings are set to 67 degrees to throttle. It built into the chip. You cant turn it off.

Z

Back