• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermalright Archon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pavypavy

Registered
Hi guys looking to buy a CPU cooler for when IvyBridge comes out but for now I just want to see how the Thermalright Archon would preform with SandyBridge 2600k. I would Like to overclock to 4.5GHz. So if any of you own it or know where to find benchmarks of it please tell me.

Important: It has to be the Stock Fan that comes with Thermalright Archon.

The Archon is overkill for SB, will easily take you to 4.5GHz.

Theoretically, Ivy Bridge will run cooler then Sandy Bridge due to the die shrink, right?

I'm going with a maybe on that one.
Die shrink, but maybe more transistors and higher speeds to kick the power consumption back up.

Since I am a total PC N00B Is there a limit my motherboard will let me go to? or is it aslong as its cool its good...

The CPU tops out at 5900MHz, but average chips usually stop somewhere between 4.5 and 5GHz, usually closer to 5 I believe.

@Bobnova, yeah, wasn't so sure about it, twas just a guess. :shrug:

Well going from a 45nm quad to a 32m hexcore was like night and day for me - the consumption and temps of the newer CPU were incredibly low in comparison, even though it had two extra cores and four more threads.

All sources seem to go with the assumption that IB will be cooler and less power hungry than SB as it is essentially the same thing but with the 22nm fabrication process.

Back