• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermaltake 900 (First Watercooling Build)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Holiday121

Well I will first start off by saying I been building PCs for probably 20 years now. It’s more of a hobby then anything for me.

I remember how I got started with computers. I still remember until this day walking into Radio Shack back in the day and my grandma buying me my first computer. That’s where it all began.

After viewing this forum and stalking so many threads I decided it’s fine for me to dip my feet (maybe drown) in the water.

So I said if I don’t try it I will never know.

My first process was to build a new Pc desk. Which I have done and will post pics as the process went along.

Now I purchased a Thermaltake 900. First impression Yikesss this is big.

Now on to the help that is needed. I watched so
Many videos I think I get more confused everytime I keep going on.

I would greatly appreciate part selections and help along the way. The theme I have not decided yet but I think I might actually do something with a Disney theme because my 4 year old daughter means everything to me and would love to see her face light up when she actually sees it done.

Part process as far as reservoirs and things like that where should I start?

I am basically fully rebuilding.

Cpu= i7 8700 or I might even pickup the 8600

Motherboard= This is going to depend more on color theme I think. Any suggestions?

Gpu= I have a Msi 1080 Duke but it seems like there is not much block wise for it. I am not against picking up a different one.

The watercooling parts= What should I pickup first? Reservoirs or Rads?

Once again guys I greatly appreciate the help!!

One hell of a case for your first watercooling build.

Most people go for duel loops in that system (one loop for cpu and another for gpu) is that something you want to do too? It will double up on price in some areas if you do this, two pumps etc.

I personally really like EK parts. I think they look great and are great quality.

There are some things that you can go ahead and buy straight away such as the radiators as they are tucked away at the back so it doesn’t matter what colour they are etc. But you will need to decide on a theme if you are wanting one before you buy your fittings and water blocks etc. As they are things that can have a range of colours.

The other thing to do will be to plan your build and this is a major one. You need to know how many fittings you need, where you can fit a fill port and drain port/s how much tube you need. That’s another thing are you gonna go hard or soft tube, that will impact every fitting you buy.

I like to get a picture of the case and draw the components on just in paint to get an idea of the layout. Then you can work out more or less what you need.

Good luck with your massive build.

Well I will first start off by saying I been building PCs for probably 20 years now. It’s more of a hobby then anything for me.

I remember how I got started with computers. I still remember until this day walking into Radio Shack back in the day and my grandma buying me my first computer. That’s where it all began.

That's basically how I got started personally in the mid-late 90s. Prior to that it was usually at friends house, drooling.

After viewing this forum and stalking so many threads I decided it’s fine for me to dip my feet (maybe drown) in the water.

So I said if I don’t try it I will never know.

:welcome: of course!

My first process was to build a new Pc desk. Which I have done and will post pics as the process went along.

Hope to see some along with a build log. :thup:

Now I purchased a Thermaltake 900. First impression Yikesss this is big.

To some that can be a tall order and intimidating when first entering into the custom cooling world. Most will start off with a mid or large case before going into the bigger stuff but hey, as some say, go big or go home.

Regardless, great choice of a case.

Now on to the help that is needed. I watched so
Many videos I think I get more confused everytime I keep going on.

I would greatly appreciate part selections and help along the way. The theme I have not decided yet but I think I might actually do something with a Disney theme because my 4 year old daughter means everything to me and would love to see her face light up when she actually sees it done.

Part process as far as reservoirs and things like that where should I start?

I am basically fully rebuilding.

Cpu= i7 8700 or I might even pickup the 8600

Motherboard= This is going to depend more on color theme I think. Any suggestions?

Gpu= I have a Msi 1080 Duke but it seems like there is not much block wise for it. I am not against picking up a different one.

The watercooling parts= What should I pickup first? Reservoirs or Rads?

Once again guys I greatly appreciate the help!!

To help you get started on the right footing, you first need to run some blue prints. Look up custom cooling builds in said case and similar theme'd as well. That will start the drawing in your head as it did for me and many other over the years. Take your time on this as you'll want to do it right the first time which I believe you will.

Glad to see you're basing your theme to your child. I have seen 'pink' or light color builds before but not sure which colored case you have on hand. I know there are black and white cases but dependent on that, you don't want it to be over bearing of high contrast with no neutrals to balance the build off. Most components are black which is good and most will use RGB lighting to set off certain theme's which is great compared to the old ways where you had to physically customize parts via paint or what not when now, all you do is change the ambient theme of the build to whatever color you like via RGBs which saves lots of $$$ in custom work or parts and time.

Once you've done more extensive research on how you will want to go about this, I would then venture to places like Modmymods and PerformancePCS to start parts picking and eventually purchasing.

If you're still having trouble grasping the whole basic of custom liquid cooling, have a look at this guide.

Back