• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermaltake Spark 7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gRaVeS

Hi all, Im building my first pooter and wouldn't mind your opinions on my choice for hsf. Its for a p4 2.8. Thanks

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!

It depends on what you want the computer to do...

Gaming, video, graphics??? Or just email and homework??? Are you planning on oc'ing your CPU???

If you're not going to oc... then the Tt Spark 7 is a good hsf. However, if you are trying to push more out of your rig and decide to oc, then I would go with one of these two...

Zalman 7000Al-Cu -

Thermalright SP-94 -

Google either of these, I'm sure you'll get plenty of info/specs. Actually overclockers.com has interviewed both! Check them out. You'll get better cooling out of the Thermalright... the only drawback is price, and the fact that it doesn't come with a fan. But you can put your choice of any 80mm or 92mm fan on there!

Good luck with your new rig! ;)

:D WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!! :D

Like yellowdart said, it all depends on what kind of computer you are building and what it is for. If you want the best, I would recommend the Swiftech MCX4000...it runs for about $50, but you pay for what you get!!! Throw a smart fan 2 on top that bad boy and you have one of the best, and most sexy, air cooling setups for your cpu!!! If you are not overclocking or just oc'ing a little then the Spark 7 is great and cheap....plus it comes with a fan. The fan on it is a little on the loud size though...

First pooter eh? did you mean puter? or even computer?

lol jk

Welcome to the forums:D

I would go for one of the ones yellow dart listed, both are pretty good, the Thermalright one is REALY good though:D

For the Spark 7 I would not recommend it simply because I have somthing against thermaltake AND there are better things around (said HS's for example). I wouldn't get a thermaltake one if I where me.

i had my 1.7 willy oc'd to 2125MHz using a spark 7 and it ran very cool...38C idle....45C load on P95 after a few hours...

YellowDart said:
WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!

Gaming, video, graphics??? Or just email and homework??? Are you planning on oc'ing your CPU???

If you're not going to oc... then the Tt Spark 7 is a good hsf. However, if you are trying to push more out of your rig and decide to oc, then I would go with one of these two...

Zalman 7000Al-Cu -

Thermalright SP-94 -

Google either of these, I'm sure you'll get plenty of info/specs. Actually overclockers.com has interviewed both! Check them out. You'll get better cooling out of the Thermalright... the only drawback is price, and the fact that it doesn't come with a fan. But you can put your choice of any 80mm or 92mm fan on there!

Well i also have a 2.8c and am stuck with the same two options... could someone link me to both "interviews" please :)
thx
Ritalin

Best heatsink out right now is the Thermalright SP-94. Get it - great cooling, great design, very safe to use on your mobo (it even has a support plate on the flip side of the mobo to "sandwich" the socket, so it won't cause your board to flex).

The Swiftech MCX4000-B is also an awesome heatsink, in terms of raw cooling power it is second to none. But in terms of quality control, the thermalright has the edge. The Swiftech is somewhat unwieldy and I found myself worrying about the torque it exerted on my board. Put these heatsinks head to head and they will cool with about 1C of one another, with the same fan. (I recommend Panaflo).

Basically, either of these heatsinks are just in a league of their own and they make air cooling a very exciting prospect.

Looks like the SP-94 is the concensus, some people mentioned the Zalman and some people mentioned the Swifty, but everyone is recommending the SP-94 as you can see. :)

Your board will be absoulty FINE with a Swiftech MCX4000...I have yet to hear of anyones boarding braking or cracking. I own one and it cools like a dream and has been on my mobo for just about 2 months now. It is sturdy as hell, sexy as hell, and cools great.

Oh nice those are great :)
so apart from the weight and maby a couple degrees increase, what is the difference between the cu and alcu models?
and yes, i know that cu stand for copper and al for aluminium so one of them is a mixture :)

Thanks all, much appreciated. :)
I'll check out the Zalman and Thermalrights fer sure. The rig is predominantly for gaming but will probably end up doing work on it as well (photoshop, Web stuff and some audio editing via SoundForge).

I would like to do some o/c but definitely have to do some more reading...thats why I signed up here. Before I try anything I'll need to know this affects that and how that affects the other thing:p. I'd like minimize my risks of learning anything the hard way.

thanks again all

YellowDart said:
WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!

Zalman 7000Al-Cu -

Thermalright SP-94 -

Heres a review with both those heatsinks,

http://www.gamersdepot.com/hardware/cooling/p4_duel/002.htm

But I like NcBaller1985's suggestion as the mcx4000 is a nice heatsink

What would be the best hs and fan combo? I think the less parts for me to deal with right now the better :)

Do you mean like a combo...where you get like the heatsink and the fan in the same package??? Or do you mean the best heatsink matched up with the best fan....like both bought separtly????

Well my friend is using the thermaltake spark 7+ it comes with a speed adjustable fan, his proc goes no higher than 40C, but his pc is at stock 2.4ghz.

It can be had at www.newegg.com for around $20 if you are in the states.

The other coolers mentioned are a bit better though, and If you were to get one of the others just order a Theremaltake Smart Fan 2 with them, and you shouldnt be disappointed.

I think the Zalman CNPS7000-Cu is what I'm lookin for...a balance of low noise with good cooling. Thanks for your help.

Back