• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

think I have a bent pin

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MAD450r

A friend of mine helped another friend build a new pc and he got to keep his old stuff. I bought the asus p67 deluxe revision 2. and i7 920 off him but I cant get it to boot so after try all I can including no mem no peripherial or however is spelled I then pulled the cpu. I think has bent pin or 2. I took a pic or 2 so i'll post them too.

I am so disapointed cause so many tell me how fast this board can be not so much with this 920 cpu but I was going to put it on water and trying for 3.5ghz+. Now im not sure if I should buy another 1366mb if this chip is bad too id be so pissed cause I have no way to test it. If I have to buy both cpu and board id go eith 1150 or 2011, not 1366, but I got this from him for almost nothing cause he had no way to test it even. HE not had a powersupply with 8pin cpu power.

I hope this is fixable cause I really want to see if this older i7 is still that much faster than my c2q extreme

Attachments

• IMG_1909.JPG
    IMG_1909.JPG
    1,002.3 KB · Views: 2,297
Did you bend a pin? Yes definitely. One is pretty far off while the other is more tweaked off center (at least from this photo).

Can it be fixed? Most likely, but its hard to tell from this one photo. You will definitely need to bring/send it to a qualified shop to get it fixed though.

Thanks for reply. Im told and I see online a few places say I can use old ballpoint pet with ball removed to fix. I may give that a try. I tried to find a new board and for the price i'd rather save more and go 2011 socket or 1150 as my dads 4770k is super fast.

as for me bending no I didn't do it. I did everything I could to make it boot without ever touching the cpu. cpu and ram were on board with stock cooler when I first seen it.

I hope I can get it to go he gave me my money back already so I cant make it worse. The ram I tested and is working on my other system.

guess when I have freind over with better vision than mine i'll have them try to fix. if all else fails I can just toss the board.

Uhhh, you made a typo or someone sold you mismatched parts. I7 920 is socket 1366 and p67 boards are 1155.

As for unbending pins, a steady hand and a dental hook and pick set works pretty good.

hmmm you are correct sorry about taht the mainboard is indeed 1366 socket, so I guess I read it wrong. its a p6T deluxe v2 thanks for the reply on that ;)

Well that's good that they match. I've never held a 1366 cpu to an 1155 board so I'm not sure if they line up well enough to mangle pins.

But yeah bending those pins takes almost no force at all and they are pretty easy to break so be gentle. If you do get it up and running they are a really solid platform even today, just a bit more power hungry than modern intels.

Looks like at least 2-4 pins are bent from what I see.

Is it fixable? Probably. As long as whoever is doing the work has steady hands and good eyesight (and probably some magnification). My current LGA1366 board (Asus P6T SE) had six or seven bent pins when I bought it, but I fixed them and it works great now.

My LGA1155 board was even worse, it had probably 10-15 pins that were bent. With one or two of them being bent over backwards on themselves. I fixed that too.

The i7 920 may be the oldest (and slowest) of the i7 9XX family, but they overclock like no tomorrow for what they are (SLBEJ stepping is best of the two, SLBCH is older technology and runs hotter/doesn't overclock as well). Did you get the SLBCH (C0) or the SLBEJ (D0) stepping?

I would be surprised if you didn't hit at least 3.6GHz on air cooling. I took my i7 930 CPU to 3.8GHz while still at stock/default voltage with air cooling with no problems, and it was fully stable.

Is it faster than a Core 2 CPU? Oh my, yes it is, by a lot. My i7 930 at 2.8GHz is much faster than my Core 2 Quad Q6600 at 3.1GHz, or my E4700 at 3.7GHz, or the E8400 at 4GHz. Add in an overclock to 3.6-4.0GHz and it destroys the old Core 2 CPU's.

Last edited:
Thanks for the great info. I was hoping to fire up the board and run cpuz to see which it is. I do still have the chip but no way to test it right now. Im legally blind 20/200 in good eye so I wont be the one to fix this chip.

Wish you were nearby me i'd pay you to try fix it for me.

as for core2quad, I meant extreme, qx965- @ 3.5ghz on air stock voltage 24/7 stable is my fastest personal pc. My dads the 4770k in my sig is the fastest I ever personally built. im so jealous its what made me finallly care to move on past my qx9650. Its by far the most stable overclocked cpu I ever messed with. even my core2duo e8400 or was it e8500, I forget it oc'd to 4ghz with h100 on it and fairly stable but not as stable as this is but I beleive is all cause I upped voltage on dualcore to get to 4ghz just to say I did it lol.

Pins can be bent or look weird as long as they are touching correct pads. Also some pins are not necessary as there are multiple contacts with the same signal or voltage ( good luck to figure out what pins you need :) ).
You can actually fix it yourself but need some precision so pin's head will be in correct place.

Hope I can get help later

Guess some other time I can get someone with vision and steady hand to try help me fix this to setup for my brother. I broke down last night and said screw it and made a myself a huge bill. I bought XSPC full watercooling setup with rx360 radiator and the dual bay/d5 pump combo. I really wanted the cylender res pump model but its out of stock everywhere. so for now I'll build it with bay res. I also picked up the water block and back plate for my GTX780. I hope for now since i'll only have cpu and one 780 for now the 360rad will be enough. I have get the asus board I can also add to the loop too so it maybe pushing the 360 to its limit.

Anyone have experience rx radiators is it going to require louder fans or is it just thicker for more surface area.

im going to go with 4770k cpu like my dads. Asus's Maximus VI Formula ROG Armor Intel Z87 LGA 1150 WiFi air or water cooling. The razon gpu block I bought will work on my card, or the titan or the 780ti if I ever upgrade so thats nice.

Still hope to maybe find local help to fix the 1366 board so maybe I can bump my brothers pc up. He on a core2quad extreme as well but his one lower than mine. His only 2.83ghz stock but its also at 3.4ghz now with my old zulman cooler on it. Ram is going to be the last part of my puzzle I upgrade for now ill boot it up with the 1333 stuff I currently have 8g of on my corequad extreme board.

Take it to a jewelry repair shop. They've got tools and ultra magnifiers, would probably be easy for them to fix.

thank you

thats a great Idea. I know a girl that works at one too.

I've always used a pocket knife or credit card to straighten pins. Nothing but good.....always worked, about 1/2 dozen CPUs or so.....take your time, no hurry.......will teach you patience.

Another good tool is a mechanical pencil. The metal tube the 'lead' comes out of is great to be able to isolate and gently bend individual pins.

Thanks for all the great ideas

Only I have to wait for help for sure on this one. I being legally blind even with great magnifier I dont trust myself to do such.

Still trying to decide on which motherboard to go with for my build here. I was really wanting the asus I mentioned above but read the builtin waterblock is aluminum. I know its coated and shouldn't hurt my loop im just not wanting to chance it on such an expensive piece. So i looking at gigabytes z87x both the ud3 in blue or the more expensive ud5 I see with red only :(. Both seem to be supported by EKs full motherboard block for about 130$ which still puts the gigabyte cheaper than the asus is.

God I cant decide.

I love my current gigabyte motherboard has been rock solid even with my chip oc'd to 3.5ghz on air rock solid past year

Back