• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

think my psu just fired...... thoughts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rcillig

I just had a power flash and my pc wont turn back on, tried a few other psu cords into my psu but he isn't firing up..... I got the enermax revolutions+85 1020, now since I'm not getting anything I'm pretty sure its the psu and I cant test anything as I don't got one with that much juice to swap in for it.....Its the newer model with no led lights to help me out =(

I'm reading it has some sort of "SafeGuard - Industry-leading octuple protection circuitry (OCP, OVP, AC UVP, DC UVP, OPP, OTP, SCP, and SIP)"

now if that is triggered as it prolly was as it one of the things that it trips for is sudden shut offs aka power flash how do I reset it or does that mean it killed its self to save the pc? I'm so flustered right now I just wan to yell at someone... uggg

I unhooked it and re hooked it totally back up to see if reconnecting would help.

thanks for listing to me ramble.
Rob

Unplug everything from the PSU, then do the "paperclip test" (link in my sig).
If the PSU turns on, something else has gone wrong.
If it does not turn on, the PSU is dead.

Here's the test, short version:

1) unplug everything from the PSU. EVERYTHING.
2) Use a paperclip to short the GREEN wire's connector in the CPU's motherboard power connector to any BLACK wire's connector.
3) Plug the wall power cord back in, turn the PSU switch on.
4) The fan should start spinning (unless that's one of the PSUs that doesn't run the fan at idle), you should have ~12V on yellow wires, ~5V on red and ~3.3V on orange. If you don't, it's dead.

ugg ya she didnt fire up, did hear a small pop or arc/craclking from with in her though so shes dead....

off to newegg to find a new one, sucks haven't read any reviews so you know what ill be doing for the rest of the night.

Check the warranty, Enermax is pretty good usually.

Check Jonnyguru.com, funkykit.com, and overclockers.com/author/bobnova for PSU reviews.

she is up and running it was the psu and only the psu, only got like a 1 1/2 out of that old one... oh well at least she is fixed.

ya I read some up on it and it is a nice one, got it from a small local mom and pop pc shop someone ordered it then didn't pay them for it so I got it for the price on newegg.

Ya know what sold me as stupid as this is, it came with a case badge and I cant remember the last time I got a case badge from anything....... funny how that made me go hum maybe I better look this thing up. Then the reviews were very solid.

Yeah, Corsair HX850 is no slouch in performance and quality. Nice choice.

I'm running its little brother the HX750 myself with no problems to report. The JonnyGuru review sold me (and the reviews at other sites).

I would have bought an 850 myself, had it been in budget.

Shame you only got a year and a half out of the old PSU, which also seems a bit odd. Did you have a lightning strike, power spike, or did it just die out of the blue?

I live right by the power sub station and we had a flash and I herd the backup generators fire up and we had power back almost instant but still killed it but ya know i was having some issues that I thought were drivers like sometimes when id boot my video would be all fuzzy and if I rebooted a few times it would go back to normal.... bet that was all the psu and for a month now I been all over dif forum's trying to get help for my video.

Back