• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking about upgrading.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OCnewbee

Ok so current rig is in my sig. Situation right is i upgraded the mobo from asus a8nsli dlx to asus a8n32sli dlx for the full 16x pcix for my 7950gx2. Downloaded fraps and ran it last night to only find that im hitting 60fps in oblivion and that was the max????WTF???? In cpu-z my link width is x8 instead of x16. So i called evga and they said i need to upgrad the board to one of there boards inorder to get my 7950gx2 running at full 16x link width. But now im thinking of ditching the 7950gx2 and the dd GX2 cooling block for it and either getting a single 8800GTX on and a DD waterblock for it. Or getting 2 sinlge 7 series cards and running them in sli(watercooled). I really want to try out SLI real bad but not with my current card, do to the fact that it is only running at 8x on i card so if i do go sli on the 7950gx2 on my current board, i will only hit 16x total instead of 32x like with a single gpu card. Any suggestions? On either two single cards or one 8800gtx. I was thinking of the 7900's or the 7950's.

thanks in advance.

You're trying to run one 7950gx2 in SLI? I was under the impression that you don't need an SLI mobo to run "two-cards-that-act-as-one".

I might be wrong tho.

32x like with a single gpu card
Isn't 16x normal for a PCI-E running one card? And then you can run 16x + 16x if you go SLI (or 8x + 8x on cheaper mobos).

Yensen said:
You're trying to run one 7950gx2 in SLI? I was under the impression that you don't need an SLI mobo to run "two-cards-that-act-as-one".

I might be wrong tho.

No no no, i only have one 7950gx2 but it is only running at 8x link width, So i want to upgrade to either 1 880gtx or 2 7series single gpu cards in sli. I do not want ti buy one more 7950gx2 and do a quad sli cause of the link width will be lower then two single gpus in sli of one 8800gtx. Im not trying to run 1 7950gx2 in sli cause it acts kinda like an slisetup on 1 card alone.

I ment like a two single gpu cards in sli to get 32x, not one card, my bad.

And if you want to upgrade, a single 8800GTX will outperform a 7950GX2 or even SLI 7900GTX's.
A single 8800GTX is definitely the better way to go.

And if you are going to get a full cover waterblock for that 8800GTX, do yourself a big favor and check out: http://ekwaterblocks.com/shop/produ...d=143&osCsid=84ff017b9a1a4e25279ce0609e5feee3

Those blocks are way better than the danger den blocks
Check out this thread for a visual of the insides of the two (The DD block looks horrible): http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=490596

And not only are they much better blocks, but they are also cheaper. If you buy direct from EKwaterblocks.com, total with shipping will be about $100. The owner of that site is also a user here: Eddy_EK

If, for some reason, you don't want to oder from overseas, you can also get the blocks from Petrastechshop.com for a little more $$

Now with my current setup will an 8800gtx run fine or what kinda problms will i be looking at? 939 amd64 x2 4800+ corsair xms ddr400 ram a8n32sli dlx:) Indows xp dx9.

jivetrky said:
I think you'll be fine. It'll still be much faster than the current card you have.

Kool thanks you will be ordering it soon then. But them damn ek waterblocks are out of stock everywhere, petra and even on ek's website. damn can't find them in stock anywhere. WTF!

OCnewbee said:
Kool thanks you will be ordering it soon then. But them damn ek waterblocks are out of stock everywhere, petra and even on ek's website. damn can't find them in stock anywhere. WTF!

Yeah, I think they are getting quite popular, everyone is trying to get the word out to stop ppl from wasting money on the other companies lesser offerings :)

I'd recommend running it on air until you can get your hands on an EK block.

Now is it worth getting the 8800gtx KO or even the 8800gtx Superclocked???? Cause the both have a higher memory clock and core clock.:confused:

OCnewbee said:
Now is it worth getting the 8800gtx KO or even the 8800gtx Superclocked???? Cause the both have a higher memory clock and core clock.:confused:
imho no. everyones posts so far show that they all overclock great. i have the gts and she'll bench @ 650/1002. on stock cooling. :)

I would recommend not spending the extra money on the factory overclocked cards. I'd say there is probably a 97% chance of getting higher clocks on your own anyway.

jivetrky said:
I would recommend not spending the extra money on the factory overclocked cards. I'd say there is probably a 97% chance of getting higher clocks on your own anyway.

question answered. Going 8800GTX then. So i should be running 16lanes on the new card correct it wont run at 8lanes like my 7950gx2?

Yes, if you have a 16 lane slot, the card should run with 16 lanes.

If you had it set to 16 with the 7950gx2, I'd say it's likely that it's just reading 8x for each core and its actually running 16x

Back