• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking of recapping a old TV

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

saturn

Disabled
Just because I work on CRT TV's does not mean you should. I took a electrician course for working on everything from CRT's to transformers and have both the skills and tools to work on something like this. A CRT TV can and will kill you if you don't know what you’re doing.

Now that we got that out of the way.
I have an Über high end TV from 1982 that I fixed up to play old games on.
But there are a few things I have not done to it yet. One is replace/recharge the tube and the other is to replace all the capacitors.
Right now I have it (most likely) at 90ish% of its original picture quality in B&W and about 80% in color.
I'm not all too knowledgeable with older CRT TV like this one. If it was a later CRT monitor or arcade monitor I would have it working like new.

SHORT VERSION:
The color red is over driven and the TV is from 1982. Would you replace all the capacitors on the IC board?

LONG VERSION:

The color red is over driven and I have to lower the color to keep in line. I believe this would mean that red it being over driven (too high of voltage) not knowing what voltage it needs I can't do much to fix it.:bang head That or a bad tube witch I can't see do to its already amazing picture quality. I do not have a tube tester so I can't test it right now. (Last one broke) The picture is also a tick fuzzy.
I rebuilt the neck board which helped a lot. I have also tuned everything I can tune. Now my thoughts are to replace the caps seeing as the tv is from 1982 :shock:

Safety 110% aside (I have worked a quite a few CRT monitors) would recapping it be worth the trouble?
The TV's IC board has quite a few caps on it. My only problems are all the wires on the board. There is like 100 wires and I would have to remove and label all of them :escape:

I have never dealt with a TV with so many caps before or one this old. I mostly work on CRT monitors and arcade monitor which are not quite the same. So I don't really know if replacing the capacitors would be of any help and not having a working tube tester does not help ether.

What would you do? Recap it? Deal with the red being over driven? If I lower the color red gets inline but then I have washed out color. It is not really that bad until there is a lot of red on the screen. For example when I'm playing virtua fighter 2, the level with Jacky has a red hazy overcast and sometime Kage glows red.

This old TV is kind of scary; it's not like anything newer. It even has a warning label on it saying that you need to wear a lead vest when working on it :shock: That would explain the fuzzy feeling I get when working on it :rofl:
Of course I have no problem working on it, I just have to be extra careful. It has a warning on it that say the flyback can hold as much as 200kv at 100amps.

Last edited:
No, but it's built like one. It's all modular and whatnot. Almost no soldered wires and separate boards.
Form what I can find on the TV, it's some sort of special limited edition zenith TV base on the advance system 3 space phone.
It has closed captioning, multiple inputs (all RF) you can save 2 color settings,block channels. Even answer the phone and use the remote as a microphone.
You can even have 6 antennas hooked up to it at once and somehow it can revive a single from all 6 at once. No clue how that works. It might just display the strongest single or something.

Last edited:
Looking forward to were this might go, hopefully not to the hospital, but I want pictures of this monstrosity, it reminds me of my old Mitsubishi 54" projection TV, that thing was a beast, and a great picture I couldn't find anyone that could get tubes for it, had to junk it, took up too much space. Wish I had it still though.

I'm still on the fence for recapping it. I know it needs done, but I could kill the TV and I don't want that. But the bad caps could kill the TV too

that is COOL!!!!!

If you think that is cool wait until you hear this.

The tv has a lot of room inside it, and I put a water cooled 775 system in it :shock: :drool:
Well I sold the system as I never used it. :eh?: It was so cool having a smart TV form 1982 tho. I used the speaker grill as a filtered air intake haha.
I still regret cutting a hole in the back for the rad. But it just a piece of particle board.

Looking forward to were this might go, hopefully not to the hospital, but I want pictures of this monstrosity, it reminds me of my old Mitsubishi 54" projection TV, that thing was a beast, and a great picture I couldn't find anyone that could get tubes for it, had to junk it, took up too much space. Wish I had it still though.
I find it odd that you could not get tubes for a Mitsubishi projection TV. Those kind of tv's were everywhere for a wile. In fact you can get that kind of TV for free around were I live.

As for the hospital, not happening. I would end up in the morgue if I made a mistake. If not a pile of black dust.
I did some looking into it and the 200kv at 100amps rating is likely right.

Last edited:
Your probably right about being able to find tubes for it, but the only guy I could find to work on it in town said he couldn't locate them, I probably got tired of waiting for updates from the guy and stopped tryin to get it fixed, was a lot goin on in life at that time. If I only knew then what I know now as they say.

Back