• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking of selling my Ti4600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
a decoder card like mine can be had for about 40 bucks so its not a major expense, but its still 40 bucks.

i highly suggest getting a dvd decoder if you watch a ton of dvd's like i do. but if you don't feel like spending some dough the software players are ok.

rlemieux said:
Money is not the concern, I want quality.

Well then..you have a choice b/w PowerDVD and TheaterTek for software players. Unless it's bundled, it's not free. Royalties to Dolby Labs and all..

http://www.theatertek.com/

Do you output to a TV or just watch from the monitor?

You prolly like your GTXP 6.1 so no need to switch. I think there's a special PowerDVD version bundle that outputs 6.1..which you most likely have.

I did like the Audiophile 24/96 for sound tho'. I'll be getting a Delta 410 in a few days and if it's any better I'll recommend that instead.

I don't see anything software couldn't do well enough due to your extremely fast processor.

MospeadasDark said:
I don't see anything software couldn't do well enough due to your extremely fast processor.
source: 3d spotlight

Sigma Designs Hollywood Plus Decoder Card
2.jpg

Power DVD Software Decoder
4.jpg

check out the grooves in the top of the case. that speaks volumes.

MospeadasDark said:
Got anything more recent? I seriously have never seen such horrible IQ.
well heres some epinions: http://www.epinions.com/cmhd-MiscPeripherals-All-Sigma_Designs_Real_Magic_Hollywood_Plus
but the latest one is january 2002.

and here: http://www.audioreview.com/DVD,Play...Plus,DVD,decoder,card/PRD_123742_1587crx.aspx

the first reviewer (sam, not our silversammy) has no clue what he is doing so disregard it.

the drivers are simple to install, he is just clueless.

rlemieux said:
Money is not the concern, I want quality.

Back to the original question you asked, if quality is your concern, then sell the Ti4600 buy a retail 128 DDR LE or 128 DDR Radeon.

You get built in hardware dvd decoding, much better than software decoding. The newest version of ATI dvd player is good. I prefer win dvd and I am even using an early 1x version that came bundled with my dvd drive.

The quality playback I am getting is unsurpassed, I am very pleased with it, I think I am similar to you as I watch alot of dvd's as well as svcd and vcd that I get from newsgroups.

Also you will have spent less on the card and it will meet your needs for the limited gaming you play.

SSS provided this link to the best deal on an 8500, although it is a 64DDR card

Gigabyte Radeon 8500 $86.39

http://www.adamant.com/main.asp

cisco kid

Disadvantages:

bad drivers
bad software
Hardware, requries PCI slot

Also if it help I use WinDVD 4.0 and I want something that is going to have good sound also. There is no use in having a 350 dollar pair of speakers if you cant utilize them:)

Maxvla said:
and here: http://www.audioreview.com/DVD,Play...Plus,DVD,decoder,card/PRD_123742_1587crx.aspx

the first reviewer (sam, not our silversammy) has no clue what he is doing so disregard it.

the drivers are simple to install, he is just clueless.

Heh, actually, I got it to install but never working in Win2k. It would always freeze while loading. This was ~SP1 days. It was either an OS or driver problem.

I ended up watching Tarzan w/ a software player. The only thing there was that you needed a lot of video memory for overlay. So I had to switch down to 10X7 to watch.

I'm pretty sure I saw ram on my HW+DVD so that could be an advantage. However with videocards at >64MB of ram I don't think it's a problem anymore.

I've got the creative DXR-3 in a spare machine, it's the same card as the Hollywood 2. And although the ouput looks great, I've never been as happy with PC-based playback as I have with stand-alone DVD players. Put the same money towards a dedicated DVD player, and get your computer back... lol. If money is not he concern (and it costs nearly as much anyway) a home dvd player is a lot better than spending the same money to turn a two thousand dollar PC into a 100 dollar DVD player.

rlemieux said:
Disadvantages:

bad drivers
bad software
can you explain how you came to these decisions?

the drivers are solid as a rock. i have never had any problems. the review i posted on the first page said he didn't have any either.

bad software? i agree it would be nice to have a skinnable interface but besides that, i don't understand your comment.

as far as pci slots... how many do you have and what do you use them for? ive got 5 and i only use 2 (sound card, dvd decoder)

rlemieux, just get a Radeon 8500, the gigabyte one I posted a link to is all that is needed. if you want more than 64 ddr, get a 128 LE if ya need more power just overclock it.

dvd playback is perfect no complaints from me and I am picky.

cisco kid

oh why be bothered with a decoder card when you don't need it?

I have a home DVD system, but enjoy it more on my computer, because its in a spare room with a bed and my wife and I can lay in bed and watch DVD's.

Maxvla said:

the drivers are solid as a rock. i have never had any problems. the review i posted on the first page said he didn't have any either.

bad software? i agree it would be nice to have a skinnable interface but besides that, i don't understand your comment.

as far as pci slots... how many do you have and what do you use them for? ive got 5 and i only use 2 (sound card, dvd decoder)

I didnt come to these decisions the last review you posted did.

Btw, I think I will get the 128MB ATI 8500

Maxvla said:

He might've gotten it from the reviews:

However, if anyone knows how to get round the win2000 problem im having, let me know :)

Weaknesses:
Cant get it to run with Win2000 at the moment. Keep getting a "valid driver not installed" message.

Weaknesses:
HORRIBLE Windows2000 support

Weaknesses:
Everything

Weaknesses:
Frame slowing, freezing. With new DVDs, MMsystem275 error

...err, actually most of the people that had it running perfectly were running Win9X. And I skipped the 1st review too.

rlemieux said:

I didnt come to these decisions the last review you posted did.

Btw, I think I will get the 128MB ATI 8500

good choice LE or regular version as the retail LEcards will overclock to retail 128 specs no prob as I have done and it is cheaper

cisco

Back