• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Debating selling my new gaming rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tRidiot

Premium Member
So I built a nice monster machine. I don't use it. I haven't booted it up in two weeks. I wanted it to do benching and such on, but I can't get OCing to work worth a darn and honestly I'm finding I don't have a lot of time.

So I'm considering selling it. I'm not looking to get rich, but I've got a ton of money in this machine and if I'm not going to use it, I might as well sell it while the parts are still in demand, right? I don't want to scalp it, not looking to do anything more than just get what I have out of it. I don't NEED the money, but who wants $4k sitting there depreciating and not being used, right?

What do you think?

I seriously doubt I'd have much luck getting anyone to buy the whole machine at once - although this is tax season coming up, if there was a time, this might be it. But I would likely have better luck selling the components off individually, although I'd likely get stuck with some and lose money on some.

It's just a thought I'm kicking around, what would you do?

I think it's up to you. Next time, I'd consider time allowed to use the machine before dropping 4K in it, but, that's water under bridge for this one. :)

I highly doubt you'll be able to sell it whole here/any enthusiast site, agreed. Ebay, however, you can likely sell it whole. :thup:

Me? I'd make time to play on the machine I just dropped a shed load of cash on... but, that may not be possible for you.

Hi, I as elderly miner might be interested in whole rig as long as it is decent proposal.

Removd phone number... please private message the user. Also, please familiarize yourself with the forum rules as there is no selling (buying in your case) outside of the classifieds section. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
No way I'm selling it on Ebay. I doubt I'd sell the parts on Ebay, either, I don't think. That's another part of my hesitance - I have zero faith that Ebay is going to protect me as a seller OR a buyer at this point. Too many stories of inconsistency in their policies.

I'd actually considered selling on Craigslist, I think someone might see it and want to drop their tax return on a nice gaming rig.

Of course, people worry about face to face meetups with Craigslist, especially big ticket items - but there are plenty of ways to make sure that isn't an issue.

But yeah, that's one of my biggest concerns is just that selling used items outside of places like HERE where you can generally trust long-term members and such, there's just a lot of risk.

As far as dropping money on the machine and then not being able to utilize it, I'm not overly worried. I got a ton of enjoyment out of researching, buying, building, tweaking and playing with it. If I were to get 80-90% of my cost back, not considering time spent, I'd be happy. And if I decide not to sell or whatever, then it's no big deal, I've got it, it's here, I can still use it anytime I want.

I just find myself usually using my spare time 30-60 minutes at a time just surfing the net and not dedicating a lot of time to playing games. And with spring and summer coming up, I expect I'll be looking to do more outdoor activities with my wife and son like shooting, fishing, traveling, etc.

No way I'm selling it on Ebay. I doubt I'd sell the parts on Ebay, either, I don't think. That's another part of my hesitance - I have zero faith that Ebay is going to protect me as a seller OR a buyer at this point. Too many stories of inconsistency in their policies.
I've been buying and selling on ebay for 20 years. The few times I had issues as a buyer or seller, everything was resolved in my favor. I've sold whole systems, parts and bought parts, and even gotten good money for two laptops with issues.

Last December I sold my Ryzen 9 3900X, B450 motherboard, and RX5700 XT GPU on ebay and the only problem was the USPS with their slow delivery.

You will certainly make more money selling the individual components.

If you list on Craigs List, be prepared for scammer interest.

Personally I wouldn't pay full price for a used system unless I knew nothing about building them. With that said your gear is still very new so you night get lucky. If you don't want to do ebay than I've had better luck on Facebook market place than Craigslist for pc components.

Ebay sold prices:

RTX 3090 - $2,500 to $3,000
Ryzen 9 3950X - $600
ASUS X570 Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi - $300
2x16GB GSkill Ripjaws V DDR4 3600CL16 - $150
Silverstone gold evolution 1000W - $250

So you can get near $4K just from those components.

you could probably sell off the parts in the system for close to what you paid for them on the classifieds and other hardwareswap (subreddit)-type sites/forums.

I seem to remember you doubting yourself in buying the system in the past that you wouldn't have time/desire to game on it and you went through the process anyway? As Joe said, I'd consider setting aside some time to play on it, or hell set it up to mine some crypto (that's what my 3080s are currently up to...)

Ebay sold prices:

RTX 3090 - $2,500 to $3,000
Ryzen 9 3950X - $600
ASUS X570 Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi - $300
2x16GB GSkill Ripjaws V DDR4 3600CL16 - $150
Silverstone gold evolution 1000W - $250

So you can get near $4K just from those components.

You're right, except that RAM isn't right. I've since swapped it out for 2x16 Samsung B-die CL14-15-15-35. I paid $350 for it with shipping and tax, although I don't think I can count on getting that much out of that particular component, no.

you could probably sell off the parts in the system for close to what you paid for them on the classifieds and other hardwareswap (subreddit)-type sites/forums.

I seem to remember you doubting yourself in buying the system in the past that you wouldn't have time/desire to game on it and you went through the process anyway? As Joe said, I'd consider setting aside some time to play on it, or hell set it up to mine some crypto (that's what my 3080s are currently up to...)

You are correct. I did it because I WANTED to. I work a stressful job, I'd been through some stressful stuff and I've enjoyed playing with it over the last 2 months. So I feel like I did get something out of it. If I sell it off and use the money for a family vacation or putting a new motor in my truck and fixing up some things I need to update on it, that'll be ok. Or putting it back towards a new vehicle for my wife, or new countertops in the kitchen, or... or... or...

It's not really a big deal. It's not about the money per se, although I kind of feel bad that it is sitting there depreciating. I don't need the money. I'm in a pretty good position right now financially, although I've got a $15k house payment coming up, but I've got most of that saved up, so... oh well.

I guess I was just throwing it out there, kicking it around, see if you guys thought I should reasonably be able to get my money back, or a good portion of it, anyways. I don't think my processor is OCable at this point, I think I may have degraded it. I need to swap out the PSU to be sure of that, though. Maybe I should do that, order a PSU and at least check and see. I think that may be a good part of my antipathy - I had hoped to have something I could OC the hell out of and benchmark like a mad dog, and I can't see to get it to clock up anymore. So, it's lost its luster for me, maybe. lol

Call me spoiled, I guess.

I am in very similar situation now as you had been. After working very stressful and at the edge(heart surgery) all my adult life it took me 2 years to slow down and find the courage to retire. I am looking for challenge at new level and that spark again. Is that mining, crypto, data science don't know but will try.
ElderlyMiner

Ryzen has never been a big OCer. Not sure where you read that. If you wanted big OC clocks you would have been better off going Intel.

I had it OCing and stable at 4.4, then mostly stable at 4.5. Now it won't do anything. Literally nothing. Can't set multiplier a single point over stock and bench. Maybe it's the CPU, maybe not. Still not sure.

I would keep it. I'm kind of in the same boat. I sank a bunch into w/c parts about 8 months ago and rebuilt my pc with a 10 series a couple months ago. Top that off with a 3080 and I dropped a good bit on this thing. Well as life does, things have changed and my work schedule is ramping up big time. Over the next 4-5 months it looks to be getting busier (in a good way) and I'll be lucky to log on at all, much less game with it. All that said I plan to keep it for when I do want it and think you should too. I do plan to remove the w/c and go back to air and a smaller case for less maintenance though. Sure you and I can make a good bit on parts right now but we may be in some other weird situation down the road where parts are hard to get again so we may not have access to quality parts again.

I think were going to be seeing a lot more of this as time goes on, a lot of us are getting to the age where we can afford to build what we want, but don't have time time nor will to game as much as we once did.

I'm done with high-end systems, for former Ryzen 9 3900X/RX 5700 XT system will be my last. The chip shortage has made pricing way too high on both new and previous GPUs. It just isn't worth it. I started overclocking back in 1998 to build low cost, high performing systems and that isn't possible now due to high pricing and limited overclockability.

100% agree with that DaveB. The manufacturers stripped all the fun and savings out of it. I don't see me doing this kind of build again which is another reason I'm holding on to what I have even though it is unused and overkill.

While I agree that overclocking is no longer necessary I'd like to remind you all the reason we overclock(ed) in the first place. To make the baddest system possible with the funds you have. Manufacturers have just taken 20 years to catch up to us. This should be a good thing as we are now provided components that are already at their peak performance. With that said it is entirely possible to build powerful budget builds. I would argue that the budget builds of today far surpass the budget builds from the late '90s. Case in point, $800 build even with GPU prices the way they are. I know this isn't going to play AAA games on ultra settings or at 4k but that's not the point. That wasn't available in the '90s either and we still loved it. Some of the best games were 16 bit and 64 bit games.

Back