• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking of starting a new Water cooling build and need some suggestions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Heatfireash

Hey all I'm looking to start a closed loop water cooling build. I've build tons of computers and have done 1 water cooled pc so far. Here are my current pc specs. Cpu- Intel i7 4790k 4.0ghz: Motherboard- MSI Z97A: GPU- EVGA Geforce GTX 980ti superclocked: RAM- 16gb Corsair Vengeance pro 2400mhz: PSU- EVGA Supernova 1300 watt Gold: Case- NZXT Noctis 450: HDD- 500gb Samsung evo.

I'd like some advice on upgrades and therefore have some questions.

1. Is it worth it to upgrade the cpu and mobo, I know the new i7s just came out? This also means getting new RAM which could be a bonus.

2. I defiantely want to upgrade the video card as I'm looking to water cool it/them. Should I go to a 1080 or should I just get another 980ti and go sli?

3. I'm having trouble finding cases that can hold a a full closed loop system with a tank mounted water pump/reservoir combo. Any suggestions?

4. Will my PSU work still, I think that 1300 watts can should be enough power, right?

4. Lastly I want to use the rigid tubing for the loop. Is there any tips I should know before doing so? I've only used flexible tubing in the past.

Thanks for the help!

As for upgrading components, what are you using the system for, gaming? I would lean towards it not being worth the upgrade but it really depends on your usage.

For the gpu upgrade, what resolution are you playing at and what is the refresh rate of your monitor.

There is plenty of cases that will be easy to work in. What requirements do you have for a case. Size, shape, price, etc.

The psu is overkill even for sli 980ti's.

I will leave advice for rigid tubing for other as that is not my forte.

Well, I use it for gaming and all types of gaming really. I'm currently running at 1440p at 144hz, although with the upgrade I'd consider going to 4k. Basically as far as the case goes I'm looking for a large case that can easily fit

I think your platform will be fine for gaming for the next few years.
The GPU is strong, however if 4K is the end game here and with 4K screens with higher refresh rates on the horizon I would hold out for a single 1080 Ti

If you go to buy a high end card such as the Classified, Matrix, HOF or Lightning , make sure EK or someone is going to support it with a full coverage block

If not satisfied you can always add a second one, but with GPU's cutting edge is the way to go. Rumor has the Ti's hitting the shelves in March

for power, yes your unit will push this easily, you could consider selling it and get something more appropriate.

Cases are very difficult, I would have to see your loop plans to recommend something.

when sizing the loop up knowing if you plan to go with two GPU's will be important

Your CPU and the TI would be around 340 watts at stock voltages

if you add a second that would be an additional 250 watts at stock

if you figure a generous amount of voltage head room to overclock with and SLI I would base my loop on 700 watts

That is a little high, but better to figure a little high IMO

For me I would want 7.120 for this using the easy math of 100 watts per 120 mm rad/fan

That cuts the case choices down significantly , however would be a very quite system with a low delta

5.120 is the sweet spot for most cases aimed at the water cooling enthusiasts.

So you will have to decide what type of results you covet

So would it be worth it to keep all my hardware and just upgrade the case and cooling? I thought that if I'm going closed loop water than I might as well upgrade the hardware as well. Is there not much benefit to upgrading for me?

Your HW is fine unless like has been said you want 4k hi quality gaming. Then the 980Ti might not be up to the task. Better cooling will give you room to overclock the CPU if needed and the devil's canyon is still a great CPU not really old as far as performance goes. So short answer is YES. Keep what you have upgrade cooling. If water is what you have in mind then it's an investment you can carry forward to future builds.

OK I think I may want to go to 4k then. So you all would recommend me getting the 1080ti when it comes out instead of going g to dual 980tis? Thanks for all the input.

Back