• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking of switching back,,, opinions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Haturee

So, I had recently finished my 6850k water cooled build.
But I'm still running into loads of OC issues (pretty much can't do anything.)

My main use for my computer is gaming, and I Really want to get into OCing and benchmarking.
So I'm thinking of switching my mobo and processor back to the maximus viii extreme and 6700k combo.
and just giving the parts left from this to my gf just so she has something to play on (Knowing its way over kill for anything she'd ever be doing)

If I switch back I know I can run xmp and everything which I cant with this combo.

Would it be better to switch back? I know I'd have to change my waterblock, but that's about it.

If you go back, go to Kaby Lake, not skylake.

Are you sure you are going to need a new block and just not the mounting hardware?

That said, I have the same board and 32gb of ram... I can run it fine on xmp profile. What have you tried settings wise? Raised SA/IO voltage? Tried manually setting 3200 mhz/timings/voltage? That said, you are hard pressed to reach 3200 mhz on that platform in the first place, especially with that much ram.

So, I had recently finished my 6850k water cooled build.
But I'm still running into loads of OC issues (pretty much can't do anything.)

My main use for my computer is gaming, and I Really want to get into OCing and benchmarking.
So I'm thinking of switching my mobo and processor back to the maximus viii extreme and 6700k combo.
and just giving the parts left from this to my gf just so she has something to play on (Knowing its way over kill for anything she'd ever be doing)

If I switch back I know I can run xmp and everything which I cant with this combo.

Would it be better to switch back? I know I'd have to change my waterblock, but that's about it.

Given your own statement of intended use, I don't understand whey you went with the 6850k and 32gb of RAM in the first place. That's a work station build. For gaming, the 6700k and 16gb of RAM is the logical choice and much less expensive.

The reason I said back to the 6700k is because I still have it and the mobo.
was going to repurpose them for my gf, but I think I was more satisfied with the results I Was pulling from that combo.
I seen the differences in 6700k gaming and 7700k gaming and the only place I Seen a real difference is during certain benchmarking tests. Otther than that I only saw like a 3-5 fps increase.
You're probably right on the mounting hardware, I just know this block was made for x99. So I'll look into it.

I have tried lots of things, including what you have stated. But every thing I try it just boots to the overclock failed screen.

@trents I built this one no intent to hold back anywhere. the 64gb of ram isn't meant to be permanent, just wanted to see it in pretty much. 32gb is going back to the other rig.
I thought maybe with the 6850k I could pull off some nice overclocks too, but in my case it's just not happening.
I'm also having problems with my gpu in this build that I didn't have before.

Back