• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinkpad x240 cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fjtalves97

Hey guys! I own a Thinkpad X240 with an i7 4600. I've been enjoying the laptop but it heats up a lot under very small loads.
Does anyone know about aftermarket coolers to this specific laptop?
Thanks in advance!

With a unit that old I would bet the heat sink (i.e, the radiator) is clogged with dust and so no longer dissipating heat efficiently. Dust build up in the fins of the radiator cause the fan to run more often, harder and louder. The solution to that would be to blow compressed air back through the radiator in the opposite direction from which the air normally flows. It would have to be done carefully in short bursts of compressed air with pauses in order to keep from overheating the fan bearings. Sustained blasts of compressed air will spin the fan too fast and too long and will fry the lubricant coating the fan bearings. Ideally, this should be done with the laptop partially dismantled so as to expose the fan. This would allow the dust to be more completely evacuated from the interior of the laptop but I have often practiced this procedure with success without a partial dismantle. There is some chance that not dismantling the laptop to blow the dust out may cause dust bunnies to lodge in the fan blades and prevent them from turning.

So the first step in the process I have outlined is to locate the exhaust vent in the laptop case along the edge of the bottom half of the clam shell. If you shine a flashlight into it you will see the radiator fins. The direction of the compressed air bursts would be from the outside into the interior.

I have cleaned it and applied thermal paste, maintenance is in order.
I was just looking to see if anyone knew of a custom cooler to improve performance since I have had throttling issues under load.
The stock heatpipes are super thin and trying to solder additional ones isn't a solution since there isn't enough space (only possible if I modified the back plate of the laptop, and I don't want to do that)
I've searched a little and haven't found anything, but decided to try here and see if anyone would know.

Yeah you're not going to find such a thing. You can place it on a pad with fans on it if you want to help airflow a little. Other than cleaning/replacing thermal paste, I don't think there is much else to do. Are you certain the fans are functioning properly? You can usually find replacement fans.

I wish in your first post you had explained what you have already tried with regard to common measures for fixing the problem. It would have saved me some typing and time.

Laptops are what they are. Mods are all but impossible and still have them be a laptop.

Is the CPU "naked" or does it have an IHS? I assume it is naked as most mobile CPUs do not have lids.

I wish in your first post you had explained what you have already tried with regard to common measures for fixing the problem. It would have saved me some typing and time.
Sorry... Since I started by mentioning switching the cooler I was already assuming the common measures were already taken.
The cpu is naked.
What really bothers me more than anything is the temperate fluctuations. Since the heatpipe and the fan are so small, even the smallest processing spike pushes the fans to the max and makes the temperature increase 20º to 30º and drop again. I assume it was designed like his but not only sudden variations of temperature are not desired as the fan kicking in and out noise is also annoying.
I bought this Thinkpad second hand, it really is an amazing little machine, very portable and relatively powerful (handles most of my college work like simulations in matlab/simulink and coding) but the heat situation is just what ends up bothering me about it.
I'll see what I can do with it. Thanks!

I assume the contact between the CPU and the heat plate is some kind of thermal pad rather than just TIM. Correct?

An i7 in a laptop would be a challenge to cool. I'ts kind of the cost of performance.

I had quite alot of good luck with my laptop by replacing the thermal pads with good ones (think Grizzly or Fujiopoly). To save on the cost I grabbed a pad designed for the mosfets of a desktop board and cut into the proper size. For the cpu, I used regular TIM (MX4). My chip is a dual core i5 though so Ymmv, but I went from a 90 idle to 50/55 at sustained load. The proper thickness pads and quality were important also. I used cheap pads at first and got bootloops and such.

Back