• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

This fan ok to plug into motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You would need to check with your mobo manufactuer to see if it can support a .18A, 2.16 fan. Thats more than I would plug into my mobo though. The only fan that has ever been on mine was a stealth. None on there now.

You should be fine, most fan headers can handle at least 250mA (0.25A), newer MOBO's are most likely able to handle more, like the Gigabyte 8INXP (up to 600mA), TUSL2-C (up to 350mA) and I believe my old P3V4X can handle fans up to 500mA.

I think it's pretty dumb that SOYO didn't mention that in the manual, all they mention is that your PSU should be able to supply 720mA on the 5VSB line if you want to use WOL.

If you really want to be sure you should e-mail SOYO.

I think I'm just going to buy the fan with the 3 to 4 pin connector. That way I can still use my rheostat.

thanks guys :)

Indeed, that it pretty bad. My Shuttle manual doesn't mention it either ... good point about emailing Soyo. -- Paul

it may be wisest to ALWAYS plug your fans directly into the power supply leads. of course case fans failing on a motherboard header would not be a catastrophe, but who wants a dead header on their mobo (not to mention, i dont know, but it may be a possibility that ruining a header can cause other mobo problems). concerning heatsink fans however, it is a VERY GOOD idea to never plug them into the motherboard headers and instead plug them directly into the psu leads... going directly to the source of power is more reliable than going through the motherboard. if the mobo headers would fail, for whatever reason, a dead heatsink fan usually means a dead cpu shortly thereafter.

But if you want to completely go with teh "play it safe" approach, make sure you get a fan splitter cable so you can monitor the fan's RPMs and automatically shutdown if the fan fails.

Honestly, has anyone ever seen a mobo fan header fail on a low-power (< 200 mA) fan? I'd be extremely curious to know, as I never have. -- Paul

i havent seen any accounts of a header failing with a low-power fan that i can remember, its definetly highly unlikely of failure when used within specs. i used what i said in the last thread as a rule of thumb when advising someone, however, to reduce the chance of user error, ie. not matching the fan with an appropriate draw to their mobo headers.

Back