• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

This laptop for cs:go/fortnight/ deep Rock galactic

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pinky33

On paper this seems like a cheap option. Cheaper than a budget desktop gaming rig.I have a co-worker who wants to get into pc gaming, but on a very low budget. He currently plays Xbox and has his Xbox running on a nice gaming monitor. So I am thinking this laptop either on its own or hooked up to his monitor and then only a keyboard mouse will need to be purchased.

Thoughts.

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/sys/d/belton-acer-gaming-laptop/6809712874.html

I've heard iffy things about Acer but specs look they should handle CS at 1080P well (but then again so can a TI-83). I'm guessing Fortnite would at least be playable.

The 960M is meh but the 6700hq and the SSD SHOULD compensate enough for your games of choice at medium settings (video below, roughly same specs). I would try to figure out how good the cooling is for potential overclocks before making up my mind ;)

The 960M is meh but the 6700hq and the SSD SHOULD compensate enough for your games of choice at medium settings (video below, roughly same specs). I would try to figure out how good the cooling is for potential overclocks before making up my mind ;)

It's a laptop, cooling is almost guaranteed to be "less than adequate" for OCing, lol.

It's a laptop, cooling is almost guaranteed to be "less than adequate" for OCing, lol.

You would think so but one of my niece's HP Pavilion has a 940m with a +135/+250 OC on the GPU (any higher and i saw artifacts) and since i cleaned it up and switched the fan i never saw him go above ~55c 24/7 and ~75c in stress tests. You never know, you might get something good ;)

You would think so but one of my niece's HP Pavilion has a 940m with a +135/+250 OC on the GPU (any higher and i saw artifacts) and since i cleaned it up and switched the fan i never saw him go above ~55c 24/7 and ~75c in stress tests. You never know, you might get something good ;)

Huh, I stand corrected then. Guess I just had poor luck then, as most of my laptops with discreet GPUs would have them hitting around the high 70s mark under load at stock.

I am not able to click on the link to see *that* laptop but I have several Acer laptops in my house that are all running well. I will say that they feel cheap as they are all plastic and no metal in the case or skeleton. I selected laptops with discrete graphics and SSDs. I will say that the SSD makes a world of difference if you haven't seen it before.

I am not able to click on the link to see *that* laptop but I have several Acer laptops in my house that are all running well. I will say that they feel cheap as they are all plastic and no metal in the case or skeleton. I selected laptops with discrete graphics and SSDs. I will say that the SSD makes a world of difference if you haven't seen it before.

In case you're curious

Acer 17inch VN7 Black Edition Gaming laptop. Two years old, but well maintained. Working perfectly. Recently upgraded hard drive to a 500 gb Samsung EVO 860 ssd.
Specs.
Windows 10 pro
17 inch IPS 1080p display
Intel Core I7 6700HQ 6th Generation SKYLAKE
Intel 530 gpu
Nvidia GT 960 GPU 4gb
16 gb DDR4 SDRAM
500 gb Samsung 860 EVO SSD
DVD burner
Mu MIMO wifi
Bluetooth
2 usb 3.0
1 usb 2.0
1 Thunderbolt 3
hdmi port
ethernet port
4 internal speakers.

$400 OBO

In case you're curious

$400 OBO

Thanks. Yep. That's a good deal. The Intel chip is 2 generations old compared to $600 laptops today. I've had a mixed bag for people liking the 17" screen. If your co-worker is going to carry it around, they will probably not like it too much due to size. Everything else is great.

Huh, I stand corrected then. Guess I just had poor luck then, as most of my laptops with discreet GPUs would have them hitting around the high 70s mark under load at stock.

I'm not trying to denigrate you or your experience in any way, simply stating that since nVidia locked voltage in mobile GPUs you can safely bump up the clocks and it won't make almost any difference for temps overall with these older models. I have no idea how it works with the newer pascal ?

I'm not trying to denigrate you or your experience in any way, simply stating that since nVidia locked voltage in mobile GPUs you can safely bump up the clocks and it won't make almost any difference for temps overall with these older models. I have no idea how it works with the newer pascal ?

No worries lol. Haven't really tried OCing much on mobile as I used to game on an old HP Pavillion with an 8600GS, one of the dreaded "This thing can desolder itself on a sunny day" models. Been paranoid ever since.

It's $375 now, bet he would take $350. He really wants to play fortnight.

It's $375 now, bet he would take $350. He really wants to play fortnight.

Sorry for slightly derailing your thread. Yeah it doesn't hurt to at least ask if he'd go a little lower, $350 is still within reason. And the 960m should still be able to at least run Fortnite as long as he's not expecting the world.

Medium settings, max draw distance settings, 1080, playable fps(60 ish) . Usual for my book. Just trying to recomend a cheap option that won't leave him at a disadvantage ie: 9fps, minimum draw distance. 1024x768 rez, lol.

Don't expect a fluid 60fps - should fluctuate down a tad in particle/model heavy scenes but plenty doable from what the video shows [emoji847]

Last edited:
Back