• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

thoughts & experiences on 890FX already

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OCD-OC

As the title ..

I see a bunch of you jumping all over the Asus Crosshair Formula "cus it looks kick-***"

But other than that .. any love for the MSI and the Gigabyte 890FX boards yet ?

I'm holding off my order until I see some valid results and opinions from you guys as opposed to reviews from resellers and Toms ( respect Toms but sometimes Biased)

I couldn't pony up the cash for that Crosshair so I have an ASUS M4A89TD PRO on the way and should have it running by this weekend. Its about $50.00 cheaper than the Crosshair but doesn't look as kick-***. ;) I'll be posting a new thread when I get everything going so hopefully that will help you as well.

Cheers Bud, Good Luck with the board...

I know it's early days yet .. but don't wanna end up with a board I regret buying in 3 months time...

OCD

That's an 890GX instead of an 890FX.

Besides the possible (though not as likely for Gigabyte) quality considerations the 890FX has 2x16 PCIe and up to 4x8 PCIe. All other boards are only 1x16 PCIe or 2x8 PCIe ...

Its still an 890... and cheaper.. Still support x6 CPU... Which (I thought) was the goal.

The other 16x slots on the FX are a waste for most people... You're forced to buy PCI-e add-in cards...

Yes, it's still an 890 chipset and will still support the X6, I wasn't commenting about that, nor slamming your idea, just pointing out the differences so other people won't get the idea they're the same because they're not. There's an historical trend for manufacturers to use higher quality components on FX boards over the GX boards and there's a difference in the power requirement for the NB chipset, which may explain some of the better behavior we often see from X (790X and, eventually, 890X) and FX chipsets over their GX counter-parts.

I'm no video guru (nor even very interested in the subject except how it pertains to CUDA applications) so maybe running Crossfire at 2x8-bit is the same or virtually the same as running it at 2x16-bit - I don't know. I was under the impression that 2x16-bit was superior but since it's not of intense interest to me I can't say that with any degree of certainty. I'll bow to what is undoubtedly your better knowledge in that regard ...

Last edited:
Its still an 890... and cheaper.. Still support x6 CPU... Which (I thought) was the goal.

The other 16x slots on the FX are a waste for most people... You're forced to buy PCI-e add-in cards...

Aye mate .. I'm getting an X6 1090T .. But price is not an issue ,,

I'm Building a LEO platform machine to watercool
890FX board + X6 CPU + 2 x HD5870 GFX

1) it needs to be BLUE ... I'm not kidding :shrug:

2) it needs to perform at least close to the Crosshair (890fx chip )

I looked at the Asus PRO but it's not brilliant in review I also looked at the MSI 890FX but it was also slated

I understand... I too can be picky on what is on a board for Intel CPU's... So I understand fully.

You have a need / reason.:salute:

Thought the G just indicated on board video... not "G"arbage... Maybe I'm wrong... verses "F"antastic.. hahahaha

PS. Looking to get an AMD rig once again, just to see how they are.... The GX is more my speed, and price too...

EDIT: found another difference; 38 vs 22 PCIe 2.0 lanes

Last edited:
Not all GX boards are junk for OC'ing, though some are. The 890GX is a viable board and will most likely remain one until the "cheapie" boards start coming out, then you would have to be careful. ;)

As a salute to the GX boards, that was what macci used when he broke the 7 GHz X4 barrier in Jan 2009 - a Gigabyte 790GX ... :)

Dammit Gigabyte are slow to ship this baby,

I'm pondering now .. do I just go buy the Crosshair ? Despite it not fitting in the "decor" of my new WC rig

or is this bad-boy worth waiting for !

Grrrrrrrr
OCD

Dammit Gigabyte are slow to ship this baby,

I'm pondering now .. do I just go buy the Crosshair ? Despite it not fitting in the "decor" of my new WC rig

or is this bad-boy worth waiting for !

Grrrrrrrr
OCD

Depends if you have the patience of a 2 yro like i do or not. eathier way you will have a good board

I have the MSI 890FXA-GD70 Motherboard (BIOS 1.6) . Me likey. With the latest bios update, is has all the options to disable turbocore and is quite easy to use/OC. Seems stable enough, and has shiny blue nb/sb coolers !

more adjustment in the FSB

I have found that FSB is highley adjustable on this Mobo, more than any other I have owned in the past. I have ordered a 1090T today and am looking foward to playing with that next week. On the Crosshair the "ROG connect" is a lot of fun when you are OC-ing or adjusting the memory, it is a lot faster to go back to a previous setting and continue your adjustments than clearing the cmos.

Back