• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thoughts on this board?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Weatherlite

In the next few days I'll be purchasing a bunch of items for my new build and I've done research for several weeks. I do plan on some mild OCing, mild gaming, a bit of video/picture editing, but nothing extreme. However, I also want to be able to upgrade later on if need be. So, here's the mobo in question: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128514

I know there are better but I don't need those extreme capabilities. One of the reasons I chose this is because of the spacing between the PCI-Ex16 slots...ample room for airflow between cards that take up two slots. I'll be running an FX-4100, G.Skill 1600 (asking opinions on that in the mem section), an MSI 5770 video card for now, WD Caviar Black 750GB, and an XFX Pro 850W semi-modular PSU.

Is this board too much, not enough, etc? I know I'll be happy with it and that's the important part, but if I'll be just as happy with a $100 board I would like to know now before I have buyer's remorse. lol

In the next few days I'll be purchasing a bunch of items for my new build and I've done research for several weeks. I do plan on some mild OCing, mild gaming, a bit of video/picture editing, but nothing extreme. However, I also want to be able to upgrade later on if need be. So, here's the mobo in question: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128514

I know there are better but I don't need those extreme capabilities. One of the reasons I chose this is because of the spacing between the PCI-Ex16 slots...ample room for airflow between cards that take up two slots. I'll be running an FX-4100, G.Skill 1600 (asking opinions on that in the mem section), an MSI 5770 video card for now, WD Caviar Black 750GB, and an XFX Pro 850W semi-modular PSU.

Is this board too much, not enough, etc? I know I'll be happy with it and that's the important part, but if I'll be just as happy with a $100 board I would like to know now before I have buyer's remorse. lol

it depends on what type of upgrading you plan on doing.

Adding in gpu's? adding more HDD's?

I had it for about 3 days, it had terrible Vdroop and was the worst OC board ive ever owned. Now the reviews are positive and I may have gotten a bad one but I also did not like the BIOS on it. I went back to my roots and bought the Crosshair V by ASUS and I never looked back. I havent had much success with gigabyte lately but I know many people who swear by them.

But it really depends on how much upgrading your going to do, as the Crosshair V is most likely over kill for you. Id say something like this from asus would be a good buy for you: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131736

heres a review on it too:

Thats just my own .02

And just for the record I have a AX850 PSU so power was not an issue.

By upgrading I'm talking about changing the CPU later on to an 81XX series FX processor if they ever have software which is optimized for so many threads, or perhaps a Piledriver if the board remains compatible...adding a second video card, more HDD capacity, etc.

I got the Gigabyte GA-880GMA-USB3 for my son a couple months back and it's worked great since day 1. The bios was good, had easy to use OC features, consistent voltages, etc. I wonder if there could be THAT much difference from that generation to the 900s that the 990FXA would be glitchy.

That ASUS board definitely has more capability than I would need, but not so much that I wouldn't consider it. And it even matches my color scheme! lol Yeah, that has to be part of the equation...a black mobo. I'm also doing a green highlight thing to match my new case...black with green highlights, so that ASUS is actually quite the match. hmmmm... lol

Well, I wanted to stay below 180, but adding a few bucks for that ASUS board isn't a biggie. That and both have 4 eggs but the ASUS based on 458 reviews and the Gigabyte based on 78 so that may say something. I have a day or two more to think it through. Anyone else have any input for me?

I did some research on those boards last night at work when nothing was going on...being a dispatcher for the Sheriff can have its benefits. lol Anyway, I read a LOT of reviews, but not just from users. I also read the reviews written by various sites and groups and while they all pretty much said the Gigabyte was a good board, they also all agreed that the Sabertooth 990FX was leaps and bounds better. So, I bought it! lol

Thanks for your help and advice guys. :)

You made a good choice in going with the ASUS board over the Gigabyte one. You would have run into trouble when upgrading to a FX 8150 on the Gigabyte board and tried doing much OCing cause the power circuts would not been able to handle the current draw of the 8150 CPU.
Just make sure that the Sabertooth has the latest bios and if it doesn't then flash it to the latest to make sure that you get the best support for the FX CPU's.
The only better choice you could have made would have been the Crosshair 5 Formula board, but I'm sure you'll be happy with the Sabertooth ! :)

Back