• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Threadripper custom loop setup! (Benches too)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Helgaiden

Hey guys! A buddy of mine had his Threadripper build I did re-done up with a full custom loop and I just wanted to share the awesomeness with you all.

Parts List:
-AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1920x
-GTX1080 by MSI (SEAHAWK EK)
-EVGA SUPERNOVA 750 G3
-Fractal Design Meshify C
-32gb G-Skill PC3200
-Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVME
-Asrock Taichi x399
-EKWB parts and PE240 rad
-Alphacool parts and rad
-XSPC Photon D5 pump
-Mayhems Tubing
-Thermaltake C1000 Opaque
-Noctua NF-F12 IPPC 2000rpm

download_20170925_121734.jpg
IMG1070069160.jpg
IMG1600038830.jpg

And a video we did on it:
(still working on the thumbnail at the moment but will update it soon)

Being part of this project was definitely fun, especially for a CPU this size and a loop of this size in a case of this size lol.

Last edited:
Thanks! Have a benchmarks video with more info in the vid description from this rig's previous form (with an RX480 and Kraken x62)

-Cinebench R15 score of
--2311/153 at stock
--2546/167 at 4.0ghz
--2652 at 4.1ghz at 1.4v

-Render Race vid updated times
--TR 1920x @ 4.1ghz = 3:33.68
--i7-3770k @ 4.3ghz = 4:44.36
--Xeon E5-1620 (SB-E) stock = 5:48.61

-Firestrike Physics
--22675 @ stock
--24353 @ 4.0ghz

Video also has a screen recording (thru ReLive tho) + OBS stream (at CPU setting of SLOW which is huge) + PUBG gaming at 1080p high settings with the RX480.

Last edited:
Rendering results are weirf on another hand... 30% improvement with 3 times the cores... WIth the IP difference, Ryzen @4.1 should equal the [email protected].

ANy clue Helgaiden?

My guess is Adobe Premier prefers clockspeed over cores, or otherwise isn't yet optimized for Threadripper's die setup. A different video editing program thats better optimized like DaVinci Resolve would probably better utilize TR. I hope Adobe starts to support better threadcount optimization going forward.

Thanks!

Edit: sure you gave me the right link? It is already unzipped... (I suck at google drive and premiere though!)

Edit 2: got it !

Last edited:
Thanks!

Edit: sure you gave me the right link? It is already unzipped... (I suck at google drive and premiere though!)

render race.jpg

If you click there as shown, the dropdown has a download option. Clicking download will trigger google drive to zip the contents of that folder and begin the download.

Here we go!

First run: [email protected]/3200-Cl14 4:50
Second run: [email protected]/3200-Cl14 4:00

Edit : did not find where to get the encoding time, so I timed it with a chronometer...

Edit 2: might be interesting to run it without HT... As it seems the thing is optimized with the feet!

EDIT 3: without HT, gives a 20% longer rendering time, so all in check!

premiere_4.50_4.1GHz.jpg
premiere_4.00_4.8GHz.jpg

Last edited:
Are you sure you matched the settings to what i had in the file? I cant really clearly see them in your pics. If you did, im actually a little surprised at how well my 3770k holds up. And now its at 4.7ghz vs 4.3 as documented. Threadripper still wins, as expected, but again...not by as much as expected. Im still thinking its Adobe Premier. Adobe has been notorious for not really properly optimizing Premier.

Yes, the exact same settings! Zoom in the picture, it's 4k.

I am surpised as well: far from synth benchmarks, right? ;)

75°C at 4GHZ on water? did you run it at 3.8 or 3.9 with less voltage?
every cooler review i see is stock vs 4GHZ with a ton of voltage. :-/
makes it hard to judge for someone like me who wants a 1950x @ 3.8ish without volting the crap out of it.
yes i know this is a 1920x

75°C at 4GHZ on water? did you run it at 3.8 or 3.9 with less voltage?
every cooler review i see is stock vs 4GHZ with a ton of voltage. :-/
makes it hard to judge for someone like me who wants a 1950x @ 3.8ish without volting the crap out of it.
yes i know this is a 1920x

Nah my buddy set it there and didnt experiment too much with it. Im not sure, but do the threadrippers have the 20c offset too maybe?

Back