• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time custom loop help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gjvah

Registered
Hello peeps, I need some help picking parts for a custom loop build, I've never done this before, I've been reading and watching videos for a few days now, but I would much rather ask for advice on here before I go ahead and spend my hard earned money on the wrong hardware. I'm open to suggestions, my budget is around $500, and I want to cool both the CPU and GPU in my system. I'm running a modest overclock, I don't want something that can handle crazy temps, rather something to keep the system silent.

Here's my system:

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero
i7 6700k
GTX 1080 (reference PCB)
850W PSU
Thermaltake Suppressor F31 - http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00002733
(it'a basically a Define R5 clone)

I have routed everything in a way where the front part of the case is completely empty (remove HDD cages etc) to allow room for the radiator, pump and reservoir, check this pic, this is what I want to do, minus the top radiator pic9.jpg

I want to use PETG tubing, and red coolant. I did a ton of research into XSPC and EKWB stuff, in fact I almost pulled the trigger on an XSPC 280 kit (a 280 rad is important, since I want to keep at least one bay open for a Bluray rom) and an XSPC 1080 water block, backplate, PETG tubing and PETG fittings. If I buy the kit, throw away the soft tubing, and just replace it with PETG tubing and fittings, it comes to about $500 from Amazon, which is within my budget. Am I on the right track, or am I completely off course? Please advice. If one of you kind souls can write up a part list of what I should buy instead, please do so. I'm open to all suggestions, as long as it's close to my budget, and I don't have to wait for parts for months, (I live in the US). If I can get all the stuff from Amazon, even better.

Thanks in advance.

I think you need more radaitor. You are trying to cool 270W with 2x140mm worth of radiator and quietly. Temps won't be much better than air if our are looking for quiet... seems pointless to spend a couple hundo for barely better than air temps. I'd look into air 3x120 on top instead of 2x140 in front personally.

Alright, so I added another 120mm rad into the system, ordered everything. He's what I'm going for: Plan.jpg

Please let me know if I'm missing anything obvious. The reason I don't want to do top mounted, is a) dust b) noise.

Dust on top? Its exhaust... how would it bring in more dust? Id rather a 3x120mm on top than two rads, personally.

Loop order is good (res before the pump, otherwise it doesn't matter)...

Try and purchase your stuff from a store and not some 3rd party no name seller on amazon. Check places like Performance-pcs and the likes.

I would advise on taking what ED said seriously as I would have said the same thing. Make some measurements that will leave you the lowest bay free for a drive while having a 120.3 rad up top with 25mm fans. There are different size rads that can help you fit it up there while having it set as exhaust.

As for the color fluid, you will end up staining your stuff to that color. Have a look at PrimoChill advanced LRT tubing with the choice of your color and add some RGB leds to the rig for some ambient lighting.

Back