• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time for a new rig... Timeframe 1-2 months

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
AMD processor prices have dropped 20 bucks since the 20th of Oct. Hopefully you haven't bought anything yet, at least you would save 20 dollars :p.

Good luck on your new build, I'm actually looking at something very similar myself.

Ya just sent the order in like 20min ago. I got the reduced price.

cornbread said:
Cool!!

BTW, what vid card did you choose, I didn't notice unless I missed it somewhere.

No you didn't miss the video card, I didn't order one of those yet. Its going to be a X1800XT. Figured I was going to get the X1800XL but then was like, well I know I want something to last longer, and I'm sure it will OC higher so I'll just get the XT instead if it comes out within a reasonable timeframe.

deathman20 said:
Well think I'm pretty much set on choices unless anyone else can suggest otherwise. This is all from newegg, need to check zipzoomfly on prices next.

MOBO: EPoX EP-9NPA+ Ultra (105.00)
HDD: Maxtor 250gig SATAII (95.50)
PSU: OCZ PowerStream 520W (139.99)
CPU: X2 3800+ (347.00) (figured I'd be going with this one)
HSK: Thermalright XP-120 (68.99) (just realized I always have gotten Thermalrights in the past, XP-94, XP97
Based on your time frame I feel AMD is a *very* poor choice. By the time you intend to buy Socket M2 will most likely be within weeks of arrival. So based on that and the demand for DDR1 Socket M2's arrival I think you are better off on Intel. This is what I would suggest

MOBO: Asus P5WD2 Premium ($200) or Intel i975X based chipset
HDD: Maxtor 250gig SATAII (95.50)
PSU: OCZ PowerStream 520W (139.99)
CPU: Intel Pentium D 830 (Presler) or Pentium 4 633/663 (Cedar Mill) (aprox $300 depending on selections)
HSK: Thermalright XP-120
RAM: 2GB PC5300 (either good or generic) (~$220)
VID: X800PRO Refurb @ $179 or X1800XL (with future intent of Xfire) (~$300)

AMD's S939 is just about dead and I dont think you should be jumping on the bandwagon in light of this especially as the Xmas season nears.

Sentential said:
Based on your time frame I feel AMD is a *very* poor choice. By the time you intend to buy Socket M2 will most likely be within weeks of arrival. So based on that and the demand for DDR1 Socket M2's arrival I think you are better off on Intel. This is what I would suggest

AMD's S939 is just about dead and I dont think you should be jumping on the bandwagon in light of this especially as the Xmas season nears.

Originally I thought I could of waited to at least december time frame if not a little longer, til one of my computers took a crap on my this weekend. CPU/Mobo went on it. So with that being said I decided it was time to replace my current system and upgrade it to something with Dual Core to hopfully compensate of not having that other system.

Also for some reason I thought M2's where suppose to be mid next year?? Don't think I could of waited til that hit, expecially since it would be nearing my wedding date, and as I can tell its costing an arm/leg/liver/kidney/and lots of my brain to pay for.

Oh.. I purchased the system as one of my above posts said, actualyl they just finished processing my order and its been charged. Either way I think I'll be happy, this will be giving me a great boost in preformance, and if anything gives me a great excuse same time in 07 to upgrade again and I'll get another good boost in preformance there also.

deathman20 said:
Originally I thought I could of waited to at least december time frame if not a little longer, til one of my computers took a crap on my this weekend. CPU/Mobo went on it. So with that being said I decided it was time to replace my current system and upgrade it to something with Dual Core to hopfully compensate of not having that other system.

Also for some reason I thought M2's where suppose to be mid next year?? Don't think I could of waited til that hit, expecially since it would be nearing my wedding date, and as I can tell its costing an arm/leg/liver/kidney/and lots of my brain to pay for.

Oh.. I purchased the system as one of my above posts said, actualyl they just finished processing my order and its been charged. Either way I think I'll be happy, this will be giving me a great boost in preformance, and if anything gives me a great excuse same time in 07 to upgrade again and I'll get another good boost in preformance there also.
M2 isn't due 'til 3rd quarter next year or so, you're right.

LordDarik said:
M2 isn't due 'til 3rd quarter next year or so, you're right.

Ya thats what I thought it was around, at least I wasn't too far off.

Anyways it will be here on Friday :) Gotta love FedEx shipping.

Back