• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time For A New Rig!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NoVA iS SiCK

Registered
Time For A New Rig! *Higher Budget*

Alright fellas, It's about that time to get a new rig. I'll tell you what I have been using first...Since I have this guy just laying around, think I could overclock him or is the board to constricting for that sort of thing?
AMD Athlon 64 3000+
FCI K8-800t
PNY 6600 256
1 gig of some generic pc3200 ram
Audigy 2 ZS
2 IDE HDs, a 120 gig WD, and a 80 gig Maxtor

Now, what I want is a rig mainly for gaming, watching movies, and lots of "scene" work (that includes WinRAR extracting and compressing an awful lot). I also dab in music editing, and video edit montages, but my current PC was ample for both of those. I will, in short time, be using this rig with a Dell 2407, so a good video card is a must. On top of this, I will be using lots of HDD space for my HD movies and shows. I also want to watercool in the near future, so that is included in the budget. Thanks in advance for any help getting my list comprised.

Budget : $2500 (not including the monitor)

**EDIT**
So here is what I have so far...

Sapphire X1900XT @ 509.00
AMD Opteron 165 @ 335.00
G.SKILL Extreme Series 2GB @ 197.00
DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D @ 129.00
OCZ PowerStream 520w @ 139.99
HITACHI Deskstar 80gig 3.0 Gb/s @ 53.00
Western Digital Caviar SE 320 @ 121.90
Thermaltake XASER Armor Series @ 149.99

Total = $1603 before Watercooling...

How much is watercooling going to cost? Also, thanks to a birthday and a "bank error in my favor" kind of thing, my budget is now $2500, as opposed to the $2000 it was before. I want it to be good before OCing, but able to OC well.

Last edited:
Well If you are ready to purchase I would consider the deal Fry's Electronics Combo CPU/MOBO DEAL...

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 630 3.0 GHZ 2mb CACHE

&

ECS 915P-A Mobo

For $179.99

The CPU alone sells for that so this is a crazy deal...

The mobo is awesome too because it takes DDR1 & DDR2 as well as AGP and PCI-E.

Id say get this combo deal and a 7800gtx as well as some nice DDR2 ram and make a nice system :)

Price good till this Tuesday.

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe $209.00
eVGA EGS Geforce 7800 GTX $479.99
Opteron 175 $496.25
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200KS 320GB $149.00
G.Skill Extreme Series 2x1GB $197.00

Total: $1531.24

You have plenty left over for watercooling, and you can get a bigger HDD if you want too.

So are these suggestions also ok for OCing? Cause I'm sure I'll be doing lots of that.

So the Ultra-T is best for me, even if I'm not interested in SLI? And yeah, I don't plan on getting them all on Newegg, just keeping my mind in place...where are some other good places to look though, since we're on topic.

lol, interesting and good to know, thanks...So know priorities would be retailers where I can get these cheaper, and best watercooling setup for this...setup.

i think monarch has the 165 for cheaper, although i dont know if theyre still in stock or not. as for watercooling, the best diy setup probably wont cost you any more than $200

NoVA iS SiCK said:
lol, interesting and good to know, thanks...So know priorities would be retailers where I can get these cheaper, and best watercooling setup for this...setup.

chief value is probably cheapest on that board and if you want that x1900xt noone else has it cheaper...

link? I looked for it on Chief and Newegg, couldn't find it...thanks for the heads up on the ram.

NoVA iS SiCK said:
link? I looked for it on Chief and Newegg, couldn't find it...thanks for the heads up on the ram.

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/Shoppingcart.asp?scriteria=165+opteron&UpDepts=&DName=&Back=&Bname=

here great deal on the 165

http://www.allstarshop.com/shop/section.asp?dept_id=123&sid=PS75W57HSJQ88GC2FPE9J57JGGWE7421

this cards not available anywhere but here pretty much, not out officially till the 24th.

I grabbed one for $510 the other day but they are all out of stock !!

Well for 50 dollars more, that x1900 xt looks nice...alright so here is the new list...
Thermaltake XASER Armor Series
DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D
AMD OPTERON 165
G.SKILL Extreme Series 2GB (2 x 1GB)
Western Digital Caviar SE 320GB
Sapphire RADEON X1900 XT 512MB
OCZ 520 PSU

Looking good so far...

Back