• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time for a new rig!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dawei213

Time for a new rig! Advice needed though!

Well, it's been 3 years since I build my Opty 165 machine. It still runs just fine, but now I feel I need more and with the current prices, why wait any longer?

Here's what I have in mind:

AMD Phenom II 940 - $235
Foxconn A7DA-S 790FX/SB750 - $114.99
OCZ Reaper 5-5-5-18 @ 1.8V 2x2 gb - $65.99
MSI R4850-512M - $154.99
PCP&C S61EPS 610W - $104.99
Xigmatek HDT-S1283 heatsink/fan - $36.99

All this adds up to $713. There is about $110 in rebates and coupons so it'll bring the total down to $603.

Most of the parts I didn't have too much trouble picking out, except for the PSU. I've listed the PCP&C here but another one I'm looking at is the Corsair CMPUS-650TX listed at $99.99 (build by Seasonic). Both single rail, with the PCP&C at 49A and the Corsair at 52A. I'm leaning towards the PCP&C becuase of their reputation, build quality, and just overall greatness. I know Seasonic makes quality PSU as well. Which one would you guys choose?

Also, reason why you don't see other things listed is because I'll be reusing it from my old build (P180, WD 400GB SATA, DVD Burner).

If I'm able to sell most of the replace parts (Cpu, mobo, memory, video card, cooler, psu), hopefully I'll be able to pull in $200 to $250 out of the bunch to offset the cost of the upgrade.

Last edited:
Looks like a nice setup, dawei213. I'm presently in the same process of building a replacement for my 939 rig and like you I'm going for the new PII 940. I had never heard of that cooler before, but I checked it out and it has some nice reviews. In case you're interested, it's on sale at Directron for $29.95. I've been looking at the Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME, but I have no idea, which is better. Speaking of which is better, your PSU's both look first class and either way you can't go wrong.

Good luck with the new rig.

Cheers! :beer:

R7

rseven, yeah i remember you from a while back when we were discussing the opty and also the Epox 939 mobo 3 years back (I was having temp issues). It seems about right to update right now considering prices are pretty low already. Right now I'm struggling to see if I really want to sell my 939 setup or just keep it for other use (ie. HTPC) since it's still running just fine.

ACajun, thanks for the heads up on the sunbeam cooler! However, with the P180, I can go either way since I have an exhaust fan at the top of the case as well (PSU is located at the bottom of the case). But it's definitely another choice. Maybe I can use the sunbeam with it blowing rearward and the top fan to blow inward onto the cooler instead (bringing cooler air in).

Badbonji, thanks for the cashback as well! Totally forgot about that!

Damn, pulled the trigger yesterday morning, was shipped yesterday afternoon and delivered this morning! I'm glad they have a Newegg warehouse in NJ.

The only thing I got different was the cooler, went with the Sunbeam cooler. Looks just like the xig s-1283, but the direction of the flow of air will be from the front of the case to the rear (back exhaust). Hopefully I'll have time this weekend to see how much of an OC I can get.

+1 on the Sunbeam, it's real close the the Xigs. I have the SB on my Phentoo for the same reason. I did put a Xig in my latest 5600X2 rig with it blowing down to see what happens when I throw some juice at it.

Back