• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time to Replace My P2 350

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Decaf

Hi guys, first post here. What a lot of great info on this forum. I've been reading it nonstop for a week, just soaking in the O/C subculture.

Well, it had to happen someday; looks like that day has arrived. It's time to replace my P2 350mHz!! I bought this baby in 1998; check out these primo specs: Asus p2b mobo, 6gb hdd, and a 4mb sis graphics card. The only thing that enabled me to keep running this sucker was the 192mb of pc100 ram. 192 was a hella lot in 1998.

The ram and an o/c from 350mHz to 467mHz kept this old lady from keeling over, even as it's running XP pro. I o/ced it a week after I bought it; just adjusted a few jumper switches and bam FSB went from 100 to 133. Nice, rock stable for almost 5 years and coool with a stock hs and fan.

RIP. Now it's time for a new rig. Here's what I envision since I've got a low low budget and don't play any games:

AMD XP 1600
Abit KX7-333
Antec truepower 330w
256MB Kingmax pc2700
Radeon 7000 64mb
Maxtor 30gb hdd 7200rpm
slk-800 hs
Thermaltake smart fan2

and carried over from Granny P2:
19 in CTX CRT
Creative soundblaster live
Creative modem
D-link NIC
vintage 1.44 floppy
HP cdwriter+ 9100

I can't wait. Let the overclocking begin! I already bought the rear window defogger kit and superglue.
I'll post my progress after my order arrives from Newegg and I setup and burn-in.

Decaf

First, Welcome to the Forum. :D

There are couple mobo out there don't need to do any physical unlock on the cpu and allow you to oc them like crazy. So far I heard best OC cpu is AMD 1800+ T-Bred revision B.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM! :D

did you have a question or something? i can't tell if you were.

anyway, that looks like a good setup you planned out. i can tell you did your homework :) you said your not going to play games at all but if you decided to play a few games that rig wouldn't have a problem playing any new game (not at max detail settings but still very playable)

i've been coming to this forum for about 9 months now and posting for roughly 6 months. every day i learn something new. i hope you enjoy your stay here :)

True. You might as well move up to an xp1800+ because they're only a tad more expensive than 1600's and they OC the best of all AMD chips right now.

If I was you, I would still up your video card a little more than the Radeon 7000. If you would get at least something with hardware T&L, your system would fly! Maybe a GeForce2 MX400 or GeForce4 MX440? Other than that, nice system!

I'm in the same boat as you.

I'm am still using my Beloved "ABIT BH6" Motherboard.

This is probably the BEST and the GREATEST Motherboard.
I bought it back in 1998 with Samsung 4G HD, Sony 8X CDROM, and a killer 8mb ATI RagePro graphic card.

Today, the motherboard is still with me running a Celeron 700 Overclock to 1050mhz.

I just bought a brand new AthlonXP 1700+ / ECS K7S5A Combo,
Hope this AMD Platform will last as long as my beloved
Celeron/ABIT Combo.

I still have a preference for Intel processor, but you cannot argue the VALUE and STRENGTH of the AMD AthlonXP.

I can either buy the new Celeron 1.8 combo for $139, or
a ATHLONXP 1700+ combo for $89.............hum......
NO CONTEST HERE!

Back