• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time to upgrade or stick with what I have?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EvilPeppard

Ok, I have posted this thread about my new game rig build, but I am starting to wonder if I need to upgrade yet. Before I go any further, I need to take a step back and ask your opinions.

Based on my current setup, is it time to upgrade, or am I still ok? Keep in mind I have the money to build a new game rig, I just don't know what I am going to do with my current system besides shut it down and let it start gathering dust in the basement. My current system runs fine. I play WoW, and will be playing SWTOR next year.

Here are my current game rig specs:

Mobo: ASUS P5K/EPU, Intel P35, socket 775
CPU: Intel Q6600, 2.4GHz, 1066FSB Quad Core
CPU cooling: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2.0 w/92mm fan
RAM: 8GB G.SKILL DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500). Two dual channel kits (4x2GB)
Over clocked: none
HD1: SATA Seagate Barracuda, 1 TB
HD2: SATA Western Digital, 500GB
HD3: SATA Western Digital, 1TB
Raid: none
Video: eVGA GeForce GTX295, Superclocked
Monitor 1: 28" Hanns G HZ281HPB LCD
Monitor 2: 28" Hanns G HG-281DPB LCD
Sound: Onboard RealTek 7.1 surround
Power: Corsair TX 850 watt
UPS: CyberPower Intelligent LCD Series GreenPower UPS CP1500AVRLCD 1500VA 900W
Keyboard: Logitech G510
Mouse: Logitech G5 laser
Headphones: Sennheiser PC 350 gaming headphones

Here is what I am building:

mobo: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
cpu: i7 950
cpu cooler: Noctua NH-D14
memory: Corsair CMX6GX3M3A1600C9 6GB kit (using 2 kits for a total of 12GB)
Video: eVGA GeForce GTX295, Superclocked
power supply: Corsair TX750W, 750 watt
hard drives: Sata 6 drive, WD 1TB, WD1002FAEX (using 2 drives for raid 0)
DVD drive: LG 22x Sata DVD burner with lightscribe (GH22LS50)
Case: AZZA Hurrican 2000

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

I was in your same position (see sig) and I couldn't justify a new computer at all. Do you see a slow down in any games you play? Are you constantly waiting for your computer to "catch up"? My rig still handles everything I throw at it with ease. I was getting "bored" with it recently and just took that as my queue to grab a new video card (gtx460) and OC the cpu up to 3.6GHZ(still working on this).

Oc that quad to 3.2ghz(I run 24/7 at this speed and it was incredibly easy to hit) and see how you like it then. It might breathe some new life into your machine.

I was in your same position (see sig) and I couldn't justify a new computer at all. Do you see a slow down in any games you play? Are you constantly waiting for your computer to "catch up"? My rig still handles everything I throw at it with ease. I was getting "bored" with it recently and just took that as my queue to grab a new video card (gtx460) and OC the cpu up to 3.6GHZ(still working on this).

Oc that quad to 3.2ghz(I run 24/7 at this speed and it was incredibly easy to hit) and see how you like it then. It might breathe some new life into your machine.

I run WoW at 1920x1200 and cannot have the graphics on "Ultra" for every setting. I have to dumb down a few settings, such as shadows, otherwise I only get about 10-15 frames in heavily populated areas. Dropping the shadows down brings my frames up to about 35-45. I feel like my system shouldn't be impeded on a game as old as WoW is. I should be able to have everything at max and get solid frame rates.

I do not really see any other areas where I feel I am waiting for my current rig to catch up, but I have been playing WoW for almost 6 years, about four of them on this rig, so I don't know how it would perform on something newer. I also played a few other games without any issue that I recall, such as Runes of Magic, LOTRO, and Fallen Earth.

I have the money now to build a new system, but again, I also wonder what I will do with my current rig. Nothing is "wrong" with it, but it will just get turned off and shelved. I don't want to build a new game rig just for the sake of building one and be wasteful with my cash.

I have thought about trying my hand at O/C-ing to see if I notice any performance increase. I hear the Q6600 can get to 3.0 GHz on air without even breathing hard.

well wow is cpu intense, but it seems some of the newer updates (4.0 and on) are working on some of the graphicals to use gfx cards more..

I run wow in my sig and still keep shadows down some for the framerates... so overall if you can wow w/o shadows and keep 40+fps with that system.. and wow is your primary game, you should be fine unless you really want to spend hte money.

the only thing wrong with it, and its not really something wrong, is that the 775 chipset will be harder to find parts for as time progresses, but currently I'd opt for saving up for something you need.. as a comp really isn't one of them

Try your hand at overclocking the CPU (might need a new cpu cooler if you're using stock) and I bet you'll be happy with it for everything including games.

well wow is cpu intense, but it seems some of the newer updates (4.0 and on) are working on some of the graphicals to use gfx cards more..

I run wow in my sig and still keep shadows down some for the framerates... so overall if you can wow w/o shadows and keep 40+fps with that system.. and wow is your primary game, you should be fine unless you really want to spend hte money.

the only thing wrong with it, and its not really something wrong, is that the 775 chipset will be harder to find parts for as time progresses, but currently I'd opt for saving up for something you need.. as a comp really isn't one of them

Try your hand at overclocking the CPU (might need a new cpu cooler if you're using stock) and I bet you'll be happy with it for everything including games.

Thanks. I listed my current CPU cooler above: CPU cooling: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2.0 w/92mm fan.

Another thought might be, should I try O/C-ing my current setup and buying a second video card and run SLI? That would increase my frame rates, correct? Although, would I be in the same boat trying to SLI because my current CPU and mobo are the bottleneck?

Thanks. I listed my current CPU cooler above: CPU cooling: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2.0 w/92mm fan.

Another thought might be, should I try O/C-ing my current setup and buying a second video card and run SLI? That would increase my frame rates, correct? Although, would I be in the same boat trying to SLI because my current CPU and mobo are the bottleneck?

Thats what I would do. I'm willing to bet you can crank the FSB up to 333 with little or no voltage increase. That would put you at 3.0ghz..a decent jump and I've not yet seen a q6600 that wouldn't do 3.0-3.4ghz.

I don't think you have the option for SLI on that motherboard...

I would overclock it a little on hold off till spring.

Thanks to everyone for their insight and feedback. At this point I am moving forward and have ordered the parts to build a new rig. My current system is over four years old (except the video card), so it is about time anyway. I have found enough information on this site and a few other sites that make sense for me to move forward with the upgrade since I have the cash.

Thank you all again for the help! :burn:

It's always a good feeling to get new hardware.

Now, WoW won't gain any benefit from SLI\Crossfire. My personal experience, is it lowered performance adding in the 2nd GPU.

About the new hardware. Don't expect leaps and bounds of performance gains. I've played WoW on an E6750, E8500, Q9650, E8600, i7 920, and now a i7 860. A whole slew of motherboards, and even more video cards. You'll get a performance boost, just don't expect the stars.

It's always a good feeling to get new hardware.

Now, WoW won't gain any benefit from SLI\Crossfire. My personal experience, is it lowered performance adding in the 2nd GPU.

About the new hardware. Don't expect leaps and bounds of performance gains. I've played WoW on an E6750, E8500, Q9650, E8600, i7 920, and now a i7 860. A whole slew of motherboards, and even more video cards. You'll get a performance boost, just don't expect the stars.

Thanks. I am more thinking ahead toward new games, such as SWTOR that I will be playing in the spring. Diablo 3 is on the horizon too, along with who knows what else.

My current system is rock solid, and I have to say I am going to miss it a little, but I am looking forward to my new system.

Back